Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-07-2008, 01:44 AM   #1
pugilist_boyd
BUSTED UP PUG
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default walcott vs jeffries

please consider the prime jeffries strong,bodied and will great measurer of distance,awsome left hook great stamina,and iron chinned not the shell that fought johnson,i think walcott is far less underrated than big jeff so i wont defend him.i believe in jims era he eventually ko,s walcott and in walcotts era walcott wins a tko because of big jeffs cut up face
pugilist_boyd is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

Default Re: walcott vs jeffries

Jeffries size advantage would be to much IMO. Walcott could beat (and did beat) a lot of excellent heavyweights, but Jeffries wasn't just an excellent heavyweight. I don't see a fighter like Walcott, who by all acounts was an always aggressive, physically strong, extremely tough, murderous puncher who was all of 5'1" beating an athlete of Jeffries level who was as tough as he was and as physically bigger than Walcott as he was. Walcott winning by cuts is possible, but I don't see The Demon stopping Jeffries any other way. The longer the fight last the more it favors Jeffries. It does depend somewhat on the rules and what era they would fight in, but I pick Jeffires in his era, and unless he gets stopped on cuts, in Walcott's era as well. A more modern rule set, and I'd probably lean towards the Barbados Demon to take a decision in either a 12 or 15 round fight.
the cobra is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cobra
Jeffries size advantage would be to much IMO. Walcott could beat (and did beat) a lot of excellent heavyweights, but Jeffries wasn't just an excellent heavyweight. I don't see a fighter like Walcott, who by all acounts was an always aggressive, physically strong, extremely tough, murderous puncher who was all of 5'1" beating an athlete of Jeffries level who was as tough as he was and as physically bigger than Walcott as he was. Walcott winning by cuts is possible, but I don't see The Demon stopping Jeffries any other way. The longer the fight last the more it favors Jeffries. It does depend somewhat on the rules and what era they would fight in, but I pick Jeffires in his era, and unless he gets stopped on cuts, in Walcott's era as well. A more modern rule set, and I'd probably lean towards the Barbados Demon to take a decision in either a 12 or 15 round fight.
I assume PB is talking about Jersey Joe Walcott,not the Welterweight King
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by mcvey
Yes, that would make more sense. Anytime I see or hear Walcott the orginal comes to my mind, I need the "Jersey" to know it's the latter.

Now that my thoughts on Jeffries vs. Original Joe Walcott are out of the way, I'll say Jeffries beats "Jersey" Joe in a fight from his era, but over 15 rounds, Arnold Cream beats him, maybe by stoppage due to cuts.
the cobra is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey
Barbados Joe actualy called out Jeffries.

He might only have been 5' 1'' but he had heavyweight nuts.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2008, 02:01 AM   #6
pugilist_boyd
BUSTED UP PUG
ESB Full Member

i should have been more clear,i knew about the demon but just as most people think of jack dempsey/william harrison dempsey instead of the nonpareil jack dempsey i took for granted most knew,it is interisting the demon did put many a heavyweight away though --most of them broke there hands upon the top of his head being he was so freakishly short but back to the subject i really rate walcott high and his left uppercutting hook against charles after a slip was just a work of art one of my favorite punches ive ever sean but i just think big jim would overwelm him within prob 10 or so
pugilist_boyd is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2008, 07:12 PM   #7
marciano1952
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I thank it would have been simaler to Cotto vs Margo with Jeffries Wearing Walcott down over the distance ecen in a 15 round fight both fighter are 2 of my fav HW's all time but i thank Jeffries wears him down and KOes him the only way i see Walcott wining is by cut Stoppage in his Era
marciano1952 is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
scartissue
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I see the shifty Walcott counter-punching Jeffries to death, battering him down the stretch for a 15 round decision.

Scartissue
scartissue is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2008, 03:37 PM   #9
Brian123
ESB WORLD CHAMPION
ESB Senior Member

Jeffries great power and hand speed would be too much Jefferies TKO RD-9.
Brian123 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum