Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2007, 05:49 PM   #1
Wige247
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 540
vCash: 1014
Default You know why the HW division is underrated?

It's b/c they've done away w/ legitimate #1 contenders. This is an effin farce now. Holyfield, McCall, and Rahman are on their way to becoming #1 contenders and they haven't even beaten anyone in the top10, let alone the current #1 contenders in the respective organizations of the belts they're going after.

This is why belts keep switching hands. Boxers get to hide the fact that they aren't top tier HWs by padding their resumes w/ wins vs. weak competition. AND THEN they get title shots against guys that did the exact same thing. So what you get is B-level fighters stripping B-level fighters of belts every other title defense.

Do you think that it's a coincidence that Wlad is still champion, having clearly dispatched all his opponents in title defenses, when he's the ONLY CURRENT HW that actually had to beat ANOTHER top tier HW to earn his title shot? He proved his skill vs. a legitimate contender, while the majority of the other HWs are "proving" themselves against B & C-level fighters, which in the end, shows us nothing about how good they actually are.

Contenders should fight other contenders. Simple as that. I have nothing against any fighter wanting a title shot or getting one. But if you really think you DESERVE it, then beat the #1 contender that's already standing there, waiting his turn. What sense does it make for a HW to beat a guy rank #15 and then to be bumped to the #1 spot? All that means is that he's, at worst, the 14th best HW. I'd even accept a boxer beating a Top 5 guy in the sanctioning body's own, perverted ranking system, but to grant #1 contender status to someone for beating someone that's not even Top 10 is ridiculously stupid.

I could go on and explain how this would benefit everyone by getting rid of the underqualified hype jobs, but I've said enough. I hope McCall, Holyfield, and Rahman all lose horrendously lopsided fights and retreat quietly into the night.
Wige247 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
Boom_Boom
R.I.P Boxing 6/9/12
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Where the sun spends the winter.
Posts: 18,850
vCash: 75
Default Re: You know why the HW division is underrated?

True

The heavyweight division is still living in the past
Boom_Boom is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
Jazzo
Non-Facebook Fag
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,780
vCash: 1000
Default Re: You know why the HW division is underrated?

Is this not why it is correctly rated?
Jazzo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:05 PM   #4
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,655
vCash: 1000
Default Re: You know why the HW division is underrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wige247
It's b/c they've done away w/ legitimate #1 contenders. This is an effin farce now. Holyfield, McCall, and Rahman are on their way to becoming #1 contenders and they haven't even beaten anyone in the top10, let alone the current #1 contenders in the respective organizations of the belts they're going after.

This is why belts keep switching hands. Boxers get to hide the fact that they aren't top tier HWs by padding their resumes w/ wins vs. weak competition. AND THEN they get title shots against guys that did the exact same thing. So what you get is B-level fighters stripping B-level fighters of belts every other title defense.

Do you think that it's a coincidence that Wlad is still champion, having clearly dispatched all his opponents in title defenses, when he's the ONLY CURRENT HW that actually had to beat ANOTHER top tier HW to earn his title shot? He proved his skill vs. a legitimate contender, while the majority of the other HWs are "proving" themselves against B & C-level fighters, which in the end, shows us nothing about how good they actually are.

Contenders should fight other contenders. Simple as that. I have nothing against any fighter wanting a title shot or getting one. But if you really think you DESERVE it, then beat the #1 contender that's already standing there, waiting his turn. What sense does it make for a HW to beat a guy rank #15 and then to be bumped to the #1 spot? All that means is that he's, at worst, the 14th best HW. I'd even accept a boxer beating a Top 5 guy in the sanctioning body's own, perverted ranking system, but to grant #1 contender status to someone for beating someone that's not even Top 10 is ridiculously stupid.

I could go on and explain how this would benefit everyone by getting rid of the underqualified hype jobs, but I've said enough. I hope McCall, Holyfield, and Rahman all lose horrendously lopsided fights and retreat quietly into the night.
In my opinion is because all the past HW divisions were so overrated..
MagnificentMatt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:05 PM   #5
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,107
vCash: 563
Default Re: You know why the HW division is underrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom_Boom
True

The heavyweight division is still living in the past
It isn't that bad, people are just looking to the American fighters all the time though. As you said, living in the past.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:17 PM   #6
Wige247
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 540
vCash: 1014
Default Re: You know why the HW division is underrated?

It's underrated b/c the supposed "top guys" are only called the "top guys" b/c they keep getting title shots by beating crap opponents, not b/c of skill. The real top guys are stuck getting bumped down the rankings by these #1 pretenders and never get a chance to prove themselves against the best.

This would be like if the WW division kept giving title shots to Sharmba Mitchell & Arturo Gatti while Miguel Cotto & Paul Williams getting getting bumped back.

In this case, Gatti & Mitchell would be seen as the "best" in the WW division, and since they're actually B-class fighters, people would start to believe that the entire division was made up of B & C-class fighters.

By not having contenders face off, we never find out who's really the top tier of the division. Other than Wlad, who's a definite, no-doubt-about-it, A-class HW? We can't answer that b/c we don't see them fight quality opposition that can give us an accurate gauge of their abilities. And as a result, the HW''s appear to be a division of journeymen & B-class fighters, when a couple of these guys could probably rise up to A-class status by fighting each other.
Wige247 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:30 PM   #7
psychopath
D' "X" Factor
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In your . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . WORST Nightmare
Posts: 13,225
vCash: 2065
Default Re: You know why the HW division is underrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wige247
It's b/c they've done away w/ legitimate #1 contenders. This is an effin farce now. Holyfield, McCall, and Rahman are on their way to becoming #1 contenders and they haven't even beaten anyone in the top10, let alone the current #1 contenders in the respective organizations of the belts they're going after.

This is why belts keep switching hands. Boxers get to hide the fact that they aren't top tier HWs by padding their resumes w/ wins vs. weak competition. AND THEN they get title shots against guys that did the exact same thing. So what you get is B-level fighters stripping B-level fighters of belts every other title defense.

Do you think that it's a coincidence that Wlad is still champion, having clearly dispatched all his opponents in title defenses, when he's the ONLY CURRENT HW that actually had to beat ANOTHER top tier HW to earn his title shot? He proved his skill vs. a legitimate contender, while the majority of the other HWs are "proving" themselves against B & C-level fighters, which in the end, shows us nothing about how good they actually are.

Contenders should fight other contenders. Simple as that. I have nothing against any fighter wanting a title shot or getting one. But if you really think you DESERVE it, then beat the #1 contender that's already standing there, waiting his turn. What sense does it make for a HW to beat a guy rank #15 and then to be bumped to the #1 spot? All that means is that he's, at worst, the 14th best HW. I'd even accept a boxer beating a Top 5 guy in the sanctioning body's own, perverted ranking system, but to grant #1 contender status to someone for beating someone that's not even Top 10 is ridiculously stupid.

I could go on and explain how this would benefit everyone by getting rid of the underqualified hype jobs, but I've said enough. I hope McCall, Holyfield, and Rahman all lose horrendously lopsided fights and retreat quietly into the night.

Very good point . . . but the problem really is it's just goddam boring. The Hypes outweights the actual performances of these fighters in the ring. That's why it sucks and fans continuosly lose interest.
psychopath is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:55 PM   #8
BlueApollo
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: A life, Jimmy. You know what that is?
Posts: 6,418
vCash: 75
Default Re: You know why the HW division is underrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnificentMatt
In my opinion is because all the past HW divisions were so overrated..
Okay, let's say that is the case. Now which era of heavyweights is this one better than?
BlueApollo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:00 PM   #9
psychopath
D' "X" Factor
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In your . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . WORST Nightmare
Posts: 13,225
vCash: 2065
Default Re: You know why the HW division is underrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueApollo
Okay, let's say that is the case. Now which era of heavyweights is this one better than?
On that question I'll say the 70's to 80's.
psychopath is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #10
derrick
6ft4 215 bring it on
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: West Palm beach in my log truck
Posts: 3,379
vCash: 533
Default Re: You know why the HW division is underrated?

Because there champion fights bums and hype jobs and then ducks hard fights. Wlad is a disgrace to the sport and now that he has ducked Povetkin makes him look like the coward he is.
derrick is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #11
chico g
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 1038
Default Re: You know why the HW division is underrated?

Wlad and Vitali have stunk up the division period!
chico g is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #12
ArseBandit
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,074
vCash: 1801
Default Re: You know why the HW division is underrated?

This thread is 6 years old!
ArseBandit is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #13
RUSKULL
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Long Island, New York & Clayton, North Carolina
Posts: 15,176
vCash: 2811
Default Re: You know why the HW division is underrated?

I'd say the only standout eras that beat this current division are Ali's & then Lewis' in that order. Even my all time favorite HW fighter Louis fought in a very weak period overall. Same with Marciano, Holmes, Dempsey, Tyson, etc, etc.
RUSKULL is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #14
zoe
I Love Boxing & Dogs
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
Default Re: You know why the HW division is underrated?

Disagree that it's underrated.
zoe is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013