Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-02-2007, 08:12 PM   #16
Lampley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Ultimate Irony of Ibragimov-Holyfield

I think this is terrible for boxing.

What casual sports fans will read into this is: 1) an old man can't stop taking punches to the face and 2) remains in the hunt for a HW title because the sport has fallen so far.

Definitely not the image the sport wants to project, especially considering there are so many great fights on the horizon. The more the Holy/Sultan fights nabs headlines away from the real action, the worse for the sport.
Lampley is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2007, 08:19 PM   #17
El Bombasto
Ask yo momma
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Scientist
Is that when you had a meaningful fight that would have been good for the sport and great for the division both HBO and Showtime pissed all over it.

Now there's a real chance that someone might try to pick this joke fight up for broadcast in the USA, where there's a real chance for boxing to get another black eye because an old guy is likely to get himself hurt.

Hate to repeat the phrase, but this is what's wrong with boxing.
I don't think Ibrag has the power to really damage Holyfield, but you're correct, this fight is a joke.
El Bombasto is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 09:56 PM   #18
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampley
I think this is terrible for boxing.

What casual sports fans will read into this is: 1) an old man can't stop taking punches to the face and 2) remains in the hunt for a HW title because the sport has fallen so far.

Definitely not the image the sport wants to project, especially considering there are so many great fights on the horizon. The more the Holy/Sultan fights nabs headlines away from the real action, the worse for the sport.
\

Actually, I disagree. Because of Holyfield's fame, this fight is going to get much more attention for the sport than most other HW fights on the horizon would - even ones involving Wlad. And IF Holyfield wins it will be a BIG story.

There is certainly a risk, however - I do agree that if Holyfield loses badly it could be bad for the sport. I don't think it's gonna happen, though - I think he's gonna surprise alot of folks and beat the odds, winning a clear UD
Zakman is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 10:20 PM   #19
bigG
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Are they? How do people see Wlad vs Holyfield playing out? Does anyone seriously believe that Holyfield could take a beating like Brewster did and not become a PR nightmare for the sport?

Maybe Ibragimov won't be the one to send him drinking his food through a straw, but Holyfield needs a reality check. He hasn't done anything to earn this title shot, but then again, what's new in boxing?
his whole career has earned him his title shot...he's evander holyfield ferchrissakes.....the only irony for me is that i guess the russians can sell more seats with an ageing american in the mix than they could with two of their own boys.....i see this as a close fight and one that evander definitely has a chance of winning......sultan aint fighting briggs here, holy can still walk the walk....
bigG is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2007, 12:45 AM   #20
Sweet Scientist
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Thanks to BBC Sport keeping a list of historically related articles, let me sum up my problems with this fight for everyone again...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Sweet Scientist is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2007, 01:12 AM   #21
Lampley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Thanks to BBC Sport keeping a list of historically related articles, let me sum up my problems with this fight for everyone again...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
On point. People who haven't seen Holy fight since the 1990s are going to be like, "What the ****?" He's so stiff now, and if someone in that condition can win a belt, it discredits the whole division.
Lampley is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2007, 02:20 AM   #22
Cruiser1
Champion Emeritus
ESB Addict

Holyfield actually has a chance in this fight. I don't care what anyone says. Workrate aside (Holy's is low), anybody that draws with Ray Austin is 100% beatable. 5-time world champion baby!
Cruiser1 is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2007, 02:21 AM   #23
Farmboxer
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Sultan Ibragimov will beat Holyfield, should be a mismatch, Vlad would knock them both out on the same night.
Farmboxer is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum