Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-02-2007, 09:41 AM   #1
Weber
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default About mocking Calzaghe for being a ”slapper”...

After watching a couple of Calzaghe’s fights, it seems to me that the whole slapper-accusation is a bit misbegotten. Granted, in the Manfredo-fight, a whole lot of the punches did not go in, or were not all that heavy, but watching Calzaghe putting a little effort into it, I am compelled to think that his slapping-technique is just a way of circumventing his opponents’ parades. Look at his fights with Lacy or Byron Mitchell. No matter what you call it, there is *a lot* of pop in those punches, and they go right in.
At first, his opponents are busy trying to block the punches that are aimed for their face/chin, which Calzaghe takes advantage of with his “slaps”, hitting on the SIDE of the head. Of course, you are not going down as easily from being hit in the side of the head as you are from being hit on the chin, but when it is easier to make your shots go in on the side of the head, why not? Getting hit perhaps a 100+ times in the temple during a fight will surely take its toll on you. Another aspect of it, which I think is often overlooked, is that by “slapping” and hitting people in unorthodox ways and places is a great way of distracting your opponents, making them spread their interests too far, confusing their defense, and thereby making room for uppercuts and such.

I’m all in for supporting your team and what not, but if it is an effective technique that has served him well, why mock the man? It takes the air out of your own arguments if you can not tell skill from weakness. On the other hand, the image of Kessler as being some sort of slow-moving and 100 pct. predictable robot, that some of the Calzaghe-fans try to paint him out to be is not doing them any favors either. I’m just saying: give credit where it is due. The antidote to partisan hackery is *not* being as blinded by bias as the opponent.

Anyway, as most people, I feel that this is pretty much a toss-up, although from what I’ve seen I would give Calzaghe the edge. This coming from a Dane.

Last edited by Weber; 08-02-2007 at 09:58 AM.
Weber is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2007, 09:44 AM   #2
nervousxtian
Trolljegeren
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: About mocking Calzaghe for being a ”slapper”...

He does punch, but he does slap as well.
nervousxtian is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 09:46 AM   #3
BigEars
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1117

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervousxtian
He does punch, but he does slap as well.
No ones saying he doesn't slap , but his slapping is effective and when he puts a bit behind it he can hurt guys with his slaps .
BigEars is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
FlatNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Calzaghe is effective enough, no matter how you may label his punching technique.Lacy's career was certainly "slapped" into oblivion.By now, the whole point seems moot, and if Joe beats Kessler, it would seem ridiculous to mention it again.
FlatNose is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
Caper
How about a fair shake?
ESB Addict

It seems the slapping techniqure works, so why change it. I'm not much of a fan of Calzaghe and his fight with Kessler is probably his best challenge up to date so good for him and Kessler. I don't see how this fight will impact the boxing world as I dont really rate the super-middle weight division much, its one of the more weaker divisions in boxing so Calzaghe or Kessler need to fight some big names before I can consider them top fighters in this era.
Caper is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 11:39 AM   #6
K0NPHL1C7
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Fact is, the inside of the glove should not be considered a scoring blow, or should at least not be regarded as highly as a square shot. They aren't scored in the Olympics for a reason. To easy to throw, to inneffective, to easy to make it look like you're doing something.
K0NPHL1C7 is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 12:35 PM   #7
The Italarican
Pretty Good Poster
ESB Senior Member

I rewatched Calzaghe-Lacy yesterday and was not quite as impressed as I was back in March 2006. Don't get me wrong, he dominated (there isn't even a single 30-second interval you could give to Lacy) and outclassed him, but his punches weren't landing as cleanly as I'd recalled. Obviously his technique works and he did landed enough to do obscene things to Lacy's face, but his form and slap technique just don't LOOK incredibly impressive.

He clearly gets results, though, so I wouldn't change a thing.
The Italarican is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2007, 08:00 AM   #8
Weber
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K0NPHL1C7
Fact is, the inside of the glove should not be considered a scoring blow, or should at least not be regarded as highly as a square shot. They aren't scored in the Olympics for a reason. To easy to throw, to inneffective, to easy to make it look like you're doing something.
Whether you count his slaps as scoring blows or not is secondary. What matters is that it is an effective technique that serves to A: wear the opponent out, and B: to disrupt the opponents' defenses, making room for blows that do count. But I agree that he also tends to use the slapping-flurries to make him look more impressive than the actual blows would merit.

Last edited by LBoneMalone; 04-11-2006 at 03:17 PM.
Weber is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2007, 08:05 AM   #9
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

The slapping thing is BS, but he does often punch in such a way as to protect his hands.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2007, 08:56 AM   #10
Smazz20
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weber
After watching a couple of Calzaghe’s fights, it seems to me that the whole slapper-accusation is a bit misbegotten. Granted, in the Manfredo-fight, a whole lot of the punches did not go in, or were not all that heavy, but watching Calzaghe putting a little effort into it, I am compelled to think that his slapping-technique is just a way of circumventing his opponents’ parades. Look at his fights with Lacy or Byron Mitchell. No matter what you call it, there is *a lot* of pop in those punches, and they go right in.
At first, his opponents are busy trying to block the punches that are aimed for their face/chin, which Calzaghe takes advantage of with his “slaps”, hitting on the SIDE of the head. Of course, you are not going down as easily from being hit in the side of the head as you are from being hit on the chin, but when it is easier to make your shots go in on the side of the head, why not? Getting hit perhaps a 100+ times in the temple during a fight will surely take its toll on you. Another aspect of it, which I think is often overlooked, is that by “slapping” and hitting people in unorthodox ways and places is a great way of distracting your opponents, making them spread their interests too far, confusing their defense, and thereby making room for uppercuts and such.

I’m all in for supporting your team and what not, but if it is an effective technique that has served him well, why mock the man? It takes the air out of your own arguments if you can not tell skill from weakness. On the other hand, the image of Kessler as being some sort of slow-moving and 100 pct. predictable robot, that some of the Calzaghe-fans try to paint him out to be is not doing them any favors either. I’m just saying: give credit where it is due. The antidote to partisan hackery is *not* being as blinded by bias as the opponent.

Anyway, as most people, I feel that this is pretty much a toss-up, although from what I’ve seen I would give Calzaghe the edge. This coming from a Dane.

AAAH, I see. Trying the 'oul, reverse physcology trick are we??

Support the enemy and all!!
Smazz20 is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2007, 09:10 AM   #11
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Calzaghe does slap, this isn't an opinion it is a fact. He doesn't ALWAYS slap but some of his shots are slap. He has to slap because he has bad hands. I used hate on the slapping but he does it because he is very injury prone.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum