Old 08-02-2007, 02:01 AM   #61
Dekkers
Team Bergeron
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Miguel Cotto v Kostya Tszyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock
Kostya has never been a dedicated body puncher.
The Johnson and Hurtado fights he used it well in more out of neccessity. Maybe not neccessity but it was opportunistic, the opportunity to go to body was to much to give away.

Cotto goes there not matter who he is against or what style they have. It just the frequency and punch choice that differs from fighter to fighter.

To be honest comparing Tsyzu body left hook to Cotto's is like comparing Cotto's right hand to Tszyu's. Both do it well but one does it better.
Whether or not Tszyu is as dedicated a body puncher as Cotto doesn't really impact on the effect of Tszyu's left hook . Another fight where Tszyu used the body hook to great effect was the rematch with Mitchell, where Sharmba went down off a left body hook.

Tszyu is generally a more explosive puncher than Cotto, with faster hands, and that tranlsates into greater power in most punches. Cotto has that more traditional left hook, thrown from further in, getting a lower centre of gravity with head movement rather than Tszyu who throws it from further outside (I think in general fighters who push inside are more dedicated body punchers).

When Tszyu throws the left hook the kinetic chain isn't so much going left to right, pushing off and turning with the left front foot (more textbook left hook to the body). The line of momentum from the push off at the legs is definitely straighter (further back so logical), there was a bit of variety to it as well... often the line of the punch would have the slight element of an uppercut to it (like a mix between a more traditional left hook and a smash), that sort of arc in a punch tends to drive in from beneath the ribs and the forward momentum gives it a lot of driving force.

Looks as though MSTR and I are worlds apart on this one, even though I believe Cotto to certainly be a better all round body puncher with a left hook that's more orthodox but imo still very but, less damaging.

P.S. Have we ever actually agreed on anything besides Gunter MSTR?

Hopkins, Wright, Tszyu, Cotto, Abraham, Taylor, Mundine, we disagree on absobloodyloutely everything... except Gunter.
Dekkers is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2007, 02:05 AM   #62
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

If this match up was taking part at 140lbs, the edge certainly is with KT. One of the ATG at that weight, no question.
ipswich express is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 02:10 AM   #63
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekkers
Whether or not Tszyu is as dedicated a body puncher as Cotto doesn't really impact on the effect of Tszyu's left hook . Another fight where Tszyu used the body hook to great effect was the rematch with Mitchell, where Sharmba went down off a left body hook.

Tszyu is generally a more explosive puncher than Cotto, with faster hands, and that tranlsates into greater power in most punches. Cotto has that more traditional left hook, thrown from further in, getting a lower centre of gravity with head movement rather than Tszyu who throws it from further outside (I think in general fighters who push inside are more dedicated body punchers).

When Tszyu throws the left hook the kinetic chain isn't so much going left to right, pushing off and turning with the left front foot (more textbook left hook to the body). The line of momentum from the push off at the legs is definitely straighter (further back so logical), there was a bit of variety to it as well... often the line of the punch would have the slight element of an uppercut to it (like a mix between a more traditional left hook and a smash), that sort of arc in a punch tends to drive in from beneath the ribs and the forward momentum gives it a lot of driving force.

Looks as though MSTR and I are worlds apart on this one, even though I believe Cotto to certainly be a better all round body puncher with a left hook that's more orthodox but imo still very but, less damaging.

P.S. Have we ever actually agreed on anything besides Gunter MSTR?

Hopkins, Wright, Tszyu, Cotto, Abraham, Taylor, Mundine, we disagree on absobloodyloutely everything... except Gunter.
At least we finally found some common ground. Who said he was good for nothing.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 02:12 AM   #64
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipswich express
If this match up was taking part at 140lbs, the edge certainly is with KT. One of the ATG at that weight, no question.
Absolutely right. I was thinking at 147, although I didn't really specify that in the first part of the thread. Cotto was green and also weight drained at 140. He looks huge at 147, I find it hard to believe he could ever make 140.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 08:43 AM   #65
Super_Fly_Sam
Aus Boxer
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1057

Quote:
Originally Posted by teke
Yeah i was just saying that there were two diff KT styles, i prefered his amatuer style even though it was raw. He showed great handspeed, a bit more head movement and threw many more combinations.
Got Any Footage Of Kostya As An Amatuer???
Super_Fly_Sam is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 10:31 AM   #66
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 2611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Fly_Sam
I got a few fights, nothing spectacular. He had fast hands which really surprised me.
teke is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 11:42 AM   #67
Scar
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 372

KT by TKO.
Scar is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2007, 06:35 PM   #68
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
His amatuer fight vs Vernon Forrest is a good one.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2007, 04:33 AM   #69
BoppaZoo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1132

Quote:
go to youtube write in Kostya Tszyu vs Vernon Forrest.

Tszyu beat the piss out of Forrest 32-9.
BoppaZoo is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2007, 10:33 AM   #70
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 2611

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoppaZoo
go to youtube write in Kostya Tszyu vs Vernon Forrest.

Tszyu beat the piss out of Forrest 32-9.
I have that fight and i wouldnt say he beat the piss out of him. Vernon landed alot of good shots. It would have been good to see them fight against each other in the pros over more rounds
teke is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum