Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 09-13-2008, 10:57 AM   #16
silverman
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Default Re: which big fight is on setanta tomorrow

I was told it's something to do with the Freeview channel (34). Setanta don't own this channel and they have to get off air at 0300. They are allowed very few over runs ... so for the big fights (think Calzaghe v Hopkins and Enzo v Haye did) they have to book them in advance. It is a f'***ing nuisance though.
So, if I understood correctly what the Setanta rep told me, if the boxing was on Setanta One (which is the Freeview channel) at 0230 ... it would just cut to black at 0300. Hence Setanta Two.
silverman is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2008, 11:05 AM   #17
D.Haye-no1-p4p
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverman
I was told it's something to do with the Freeview channel (34). Setanta don't own this channel and they have to get off air at 0300. They are allowed very few over runs ... so for the big fights (think Calzaghe v Hopkins and Enzo v Haye did) they have to book them in advance. It is a f'***ing nuisance though.
So, if I understood correctly what the Setanta rep told me, if the boxing was on Setanta One (which is the Freeview channel) at 0230 ... it would just cut to black at 0300. Hence Setanta Two.
Doesn't justify charging freeviews the same amount of money for a lesser service.

And the false advertising is surely in breach of contract. I'm going to look into it, they've advertisied the fight to be shown on Setanta one at 3am for weeks, this is a complete lie.

Much like how Cotto-Margarito was advertised and I didn't get to see that live.
D.Haye-no1-p4p is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2008, 11:18 AM   #18
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

You'd be better off getting it through the Internet if boxing is your main interest.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2008, 11:23 AM   #19
Cobbler
Shoemaker To The Stars
East Side Guru

Location: I don't have a small head. I have posted other pictures on here that prove I don't have a small head
vCash: 1088

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Haye-no1-p4p
Doesn't justify charging freeviews the same amount of money for a lesser service.

And the false advertising is surely in breach of contract. I'm going to look into it, they've advertisied the fight to be shown on Setanta one at 3am for weeks, this is a complete lie.

Much like how Cotto-Margarito was advertised and I didn't get to see that live.
Lol, breach of contract. I just had a quick scan of the FAQs for Setanta on freeview and it clearly states that the channel broadcasts from midday to 3am except when notified of longer hours via their website. So not much to look into I wouldn't have thought...
Cobbler is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2008, 11:58 AM   #20
D.Haye-no1-p4p
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbler
Lol, breach of contract. I just had a quick scan of the FAQs for Setanta on freeview and it clearly states that the channel broadcasts from midday to 3am except when notified of longer hours via their website. So not much to look into I wouldn't have thought...
Why you making it out like I'm an idiot?

Do you think it's OK for them to advertise as if ALL customers are getting to see fights, when clearly freeview subscribers are being made a mockery of.

I hope you get ****ed over by 'the little writing' by some corporate ****ers who are only interested in money at some point.
D.Haye-no1-p4p is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2008, 03:21 PM   #21
Cobbler
Shoemaker To The Stars
East Side Guru

Location: I don't have a small head. I have posted other pictures on here that prove I don't have a small head

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Haye-no1-p4p
Why you making it out like I'm an idiot?
Because you're shouting the odds claiming breach of a contract that you clearly haven't read at any point.

It's a commercial service. You think it's good value for money, so you pay for it or you think it isn't, so you don't. Claiming you have been conned just because you couldn't be arsed to look at what you were buying just makes you look silly.
Cobbler is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2008, 03:28 PM   #22
Cobbler
Shoemaker To The Stars
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxstuff
the fine print is irrelevant to the claims of false advertising - that's not breach of contract, but it is false supply of goods.
Only if there is any false advertising. I haven't seen any advertising claiming that Freeview viewers will be able to watch this fight?
Cobbler is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2008, 04:02 PM   #23
bronze_bandit
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC
Buncey, is there any chance that Setanta could start repeating these fights "as live" the next day? The hour repeats miss the undercard out a lot of the time and also a lot of the atmosphere is lost IMHO. A lot of people work shifts so can't watch it live but might like to avoid the result and watch a repeat of the full show the next day.
Crackin idea Buncey this would definately appease people like myself, but honestly we do actually feel as though we have been let down on this...

To change the channels at the last minute has really let us freeview viewers down....I for one have always defended the likes of Setanta but surely scenarios like this are constantly turning pple against you....

Was gearing myself up for the month of November but something tells me were once again gonna be missing out on all of the big fights when we've actually subcscribed to the channel to bloody watch em!!!!?

We have seen it recently with the anti-setanta chanting at the england footy matches but this is an even bigger slap in the face, to the masses who actually subscribe for big events such as this...Plus if the fight goes the distance we wont even get a sniff of any of the undercard fights on the midday highlights on sunday...

Buncey you've got to let it be known that there are massive ripples forming here....
bronze_bandit is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2008, 07:14 PM   #24
silverman
Journeyman

Unfortunately bronze_bandit even if Setanta hadn't changed channels from Setanta One to Setanta Two you still wouldn't have seen the fight on Freeview.

I'm sure they showed the last two Calazghe fights and the Haye/Enzo fights on Freeview, and am sure they were later than three in morning.

So ,for what they see as big fights, they must book extra time on the Freeview system. I'd be surprised if they didn't show them. Hope so as i've only got bloody Freeview.
silverman is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2008, 12:28 PM   #25
Cobbler
Shoemaker To The Stars
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxstuff
it advertises freeview as one of the providers that can receive the service. logic would suggest that you can watch EVERYTHING they advertise "live".

it's lying by ommission.
It's not lying by omission at all. If you sign up to the freeview Setanta you agree to a contract that clearly state that you receive only Setanta One and the channel is only received between noon and 3am. Logic would suggest that you can watch everything that is broadcast on Setanta One between these times.
Cobbler is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum