Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-07-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Roy Jones - Power?

How do you view his power at his prime weights? Was he among the elite with it? Was it a deadly combination of power and handspeed, kind of like a Jr. Mike Tyson in that regards?

How did he carry his power up? How successful was he with it against much bigger men?

Was the Hill bodyshot KO telling, or simple Hill being vulnerable to that shot at that moment... He was in an awkward position if I'm remembering correctly, definitely didn't have his abs/obliques drawn too terrible tight.
Russell is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238
Default Re: Roy Jones - Power?

At 160 and 168 he was an absolutely devastating puncher. I think they only ones he didn't knock out at those weights are Toney and Hopkins. Toney may well have the best chin of all time and Hopkins also ranks as having one of the better chins in history. Those were the only things keeping them in the one-sided batterings that they received, by the way.

At light-heavyweight his power was not as destructive but it was still respectable. Griffin was knocked silly in one round. Even a 225lb Ruiz was hurt or stunned early in their fight.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
Fab2333
Needs to Get It 2Gether
ESB Addict

vCash: 623

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
At 160 and 168 he was an absolutely devastating puncher. I think they only ones he didn't knock out at those weights are Toney and Hopkins. Toney may well have the best chin of all time and Hopkins also ranks as having one of the better chins in history. Those were the only things keeping them in the one-sided batterings that they received, by the way.

At light-heavyweight his power was not as destructive but it was still respectable. Griffin was knocked silly in one round. Even a 225lb Ruiz was hurt or stunned early in their fight.
I agree with this post, But at 175 I think his power was jsut as devastating, when he landed punches his opponents felt them. Look at what he did to Richard Hall.
Fab2333 is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2007, 07:07 PM   #4
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Power...but also speed. Speed generates sharper punches even if you can't hit the heavy bag like some others can, just ask that lanky feller from Detroit.

Add to that that opponents don't always see the punches coming, and you have Roy Jones. I still say he had good power, but make his speed ordinary and plenty of opponents last the distance.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2007, 07:17 PM   #5
CASH_718
"You ****ed Healy?"
East Side Guru

vCash: 1644

Quote:

And Jorge Castro.
CASH_718 is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2007, 07:27 PM   #6
Fab2333
Needs to Get It 2Gether
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
It wasn't a one-sided battering vs Hopkins, it was a good fight, but a clear win for Floyd. As for his power, at 160 it was as one announcer said "almost supernatural". I'm gonna go ahead and post Roy Jones's Greatest Knockouts for you guys. It's about an hour long, so be prepared to sit back and watch.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
gOOD LOOKS SWEAT PEA ON THE VID IMA WATCH IT WHEN I GET HOME FROM THIS HELL HOLE I CALL WORK

Last edited by planetzion; 04-20-2006 at 04:02 AM.
Fab2333 is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2007, 07:48 PM   #7
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Roy Jones' fast twitch fibers should be in the Smithsonian after he dies.

His musculature was perfect for a puncher -and he knew how to punch very well. His timing and placement were second to none. However, I would assert as others have that sans the speed, he would not be nearly as devestating. Pontius is on the money when he stated that Ruiz was stunned. That is partly why Ruiz fought that fight as if he was the fall guy on a fix. He leaned forward, mitigating his height advantage, he did not rough him up and crowd him with size and superior strength which was his only chance, and his attempt to box with Jones was pathetic. Ruiz was convinced early on to avoid risks... and that was it for him. He really should be ashamed of himself. What a disgrace that exhibition was to all HW. That HW turf should be guarded more jealousy... Big men should treat trespassers like Toney et al the way Frazier and Ali treated Foster.

Jones' power is the very rare type that would be still be a major factor 40 pounds beyond MW. Neither Robinson or Duran could make as good a case in bringing such power so far beyond their turf as Jones can.

I would describe Jones' power as... shocking.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2007, 08:42 PM   #8
Marnoff
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Toney may well have the best chin of all time
George Chuvalo.
Marnoff is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2007, 08:43 PM   #9
Marnoff
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
It wasn't a one-sided battering vs Hopkins, it was a good fight, but a clear win for Floyd. As for his power, at 160 it was as one announcer said "almost supernatural". I'm gonna go ahead and post Roy Jones's Greatest Knockouts for you guys. It's about an hour long, so be prepared to sit back and watch.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Clear win for Floyd, eh?
Marnoff is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2007, 08:51 PM   #10
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89

His musculature was perfect for a puncher -and he knew how to punch very well. His timing and placement were second to none. However, I would assert as others have that sans the speed, he would not be nearly as devestating. Pontius is on the money when he stated that Ruiz was stunned. That is partly why Ruiz fought that fight as if he was the fall guy on a fix. He leaned forward, mitigating his height advantage, he did not rough him up and crowd him with size and superior strength which was his only chance, and his attempt to box with Jones was pathetic. Ruiz was convinced early on to avoid risks... and that was it for him. He really should be ashamed of himself. What a disgrace that exhibition was to all HW. That HW turf should be guarded more jealousy... Big men should treat trespassers like Toney et al the way Frazier and Ali treated Foster.

Jones' power is the very rare type that would be still be a major factor 40 pounds beyond MW. Neither Robinson or Duran could make as good a case in bringing such power so far beyond their turf as Jones can.

Great post, thanks Stonehands.

Haven't seen you on here before... Where'd you go?
Russell is online now  Top
Old 08-07-2007, 08:55 PM   #11
Fab2333
Needs to Get It 2Gether
ESB Addict

Quote:

Fab2333 is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2007, 09:03 PM   #12
Marnoff
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Whoops, got me!
Yep, I think we all do that sometimes. On that note, if Floyd had a clear win over Hopkins, that'd do wonders for his ATG ranking.
Marnoff is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2007, 09:06 PM   #13
Marnoff
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
That HW turf should be guarded more jealousy... Big men should treat trespassers like Toney et al the way Frazier and Ali treated Foster.
I like that idea. Territory war as a matter of pride.
Marnoff is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum