Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-08-2007, 10:27 AM   #1
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default If Tex Cobb had fought in the 30's/40's

Could he have been a Louis Contender.

In all honesty, Randall Tex Cobb was a fighter/actor who's movies I enjoyed more than his fights. He wasn't exactly a pretty physical specimen and what's more, boxing skill was not what got him a shot at Holmes' title. I suppose you could say that his all time great chin, and reasonable punching power would have made him a formidable oppnent for a lot of good fighters, perhaps even a few greats. Personally, I see Louis beating the snot out of him for 15 rounds, and winning a horribly one sided decision, but that wasn't my question. Could he have gotten by some of the top fighters of Louis's era such as Godoy, Pastor, Simon, J.H Lewis, Galento, Nova, etc. ? Frankly, I don't see his abilities as matching up well with those guys from a skills standpoint, but his power and abilty to take punishment could be a factor.

Thoughts?

Last edited by mr. magoo; 08-08-2007 at 11:14 AM.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2007, 10:35 AM   #2
Lex
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: If Tex Cobb had fought in the 30's/40's

The result would have been pretty much the same as Cobb against Holmes. Cobb was a rough guy who could take incredible punishment, but couldn't hit as hard as one might think a guy like him would be capable of.

His boxing style was undermined by his martial arts background. He squared off, crossed his feet over and did all the stuff that works in kickboxing and is usually ineffective in conventional boxing. He was mostly an arm puncher with poor follow through and mediocre snap.

It'd be a lopsided decision in Louis' favor.
Lex is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2007, 10:50 AM   #3
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex
The result would have been pretty much the same as Cobb against Holmes. Cobb was a rough guy who could take incredible punishment, but couldn't hit as hard as one might think a guy like him would be capable of.

His boxing style was undermined by his martial arts background. He squared off, crossed his feet over and did all the stuff that works in kickboxing and is usually ineffective in conventional boxing. He was mostly an arm puncher with poor follow through and mediocre snap.

It'd be a lopsided decision in Louis' favor.
Good analysis of Cobb's style.

I've never seen any footage of his kick boxing career, nor do I even know how successful he really was. Most of his boxing footage that I've seen has mainly been on ESPN classic and youtube, although I may have cought a few of his fights back in the day. It's pretty amazing that a guy who's boxing skills, which were more or less a journeyman's level went as far as he did. Boxrec has his record at 43-7-1-36. In over 50 fights, he was only stopped once by Dee Colier, and I can't help but wonder if that was a fluke. He went the distance with Dokes twice, Holmes, Douglas, Norton and Gregg. He beat an aging Shavers, L.Spinks, and Mercado. Not a lot of big names in the win Column, but I guess it wasn't altogether a bad career either.

Some time ago, his name came up on another thread. One author, stated that Cobb went to college at one of the Texas state schools in the early 70's. Apparently, he played football for a brief period, until he was kicked off the team for standing on a frat house naked with an ignited bow and arrow, screaming at a rival fraternity " You boys ready to die?" I'd like to do a google search and find out exactly how he managed to get into the acting industry. Between his careers in boxing and showbiz, I'd say he was a fairly successful person, despite his rather crude nature.

Last edited by mr. magoo; 08-08-2007 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:22 AM   #4
Lex
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I followed Cobb's various careers for a long time. He may act like a crude Texas redneck but he's very intelligent and has a helluva sly sense of humor.

Unfortunately I think he stayed in the game too long and finally suffered some of the effects of repeated head trauma. He's been reclusive for the past few years. Folks who've interiewed him say he's just not quite the guy he used to be. Nothing wrong that you can put your finger on. Just a little less snap, crackle and pop. I've seen that happen with older folks who've experienced concussions or minor strokes.

I hope he keeps getting offered acting jobs. He's damned entertaining just being himself.
Lex is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2007, 12:29 PM   #5
FlatNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Tex would be an honerary member of the "bum of the month club", but I think Louis would have stopped him, if just on cuts , or any horrible disfigurement Louis would have done to Tex's face.
FlatNose is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2007, 12:51 PM   #6
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think he could've done very well, maybe beat Braddock or some of the other champs.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2007, 01:37 PM   #7
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Cobb would have looked like accident-test dummy after 8 rounds against Louis. He may have been spared a trip to the canvas, but the beating would have been horrible. If Holmes could dominate him and hit him at will, think of what Louis would have done to him.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
AREA 53
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Louis Stopped a Real Tough Tough Guy in Paolino Urzcudan, with a brutal (beautiful if you are in the audiance ) left hook bang on the button in the forth round, i think Paolino was as tough as Randy so maybe Randy might be beaten quicker them some suspect, Joe was a very educated Puncher and his shots sometimes came like a bolt out of the Blue, Randy might be a little accessible and predictable for a ring predator like Joe,
AREA 53 is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2007, 02:56 PM   #9
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex
I followed Cobb's various careers for a long time. He may act like a crude Texas redneck but he's very intelligent and has a helluva sly sense of humor.

Unfortunately I think he stayed in the game too long and finally suffered some of the effects of repeated head trauma. He's been reclusive for the past few years. Folks who've interiewed him say he's just not quite the guy he used to be. Nothing wrong that you can put your finger on. Just a little less snap, crackle and pop. I've seen that happen with older folks who've experienced concussions or minor strokes.

I hope he keeps getting offered acting jobs. He's damned entertaining just being himself.
Agree on most accounts, except I read that he indeed had some issues with drug use in his younger years, which he apparentlly overcame. Then again, I suppose his party life didn't separate him much from most members of the 80's crew. I would certainly like to think or hope that he continues to get roles in his acting career, although I believe it's been a while since he's done anything significant. It would be a shame if he became another hollywood tradgedy.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:00 PM   #10
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatNose
Tex would be an honerary member of the "bum of the month club", but I think Louis would have stopped him, if just on cuts , or any horrible disfigurement Louis would have done to Tex's face.
Well, I guess he wouldn't make the top of Louis's list with Conn, Walcott, Baer, Braddock, and Nova. Although, I would like to think that he was as good or better than some of the bum of month members such as Roper, Mccoy, Davis and some of the others. I disagree however, that he would fall victom to stoppage even though it's not impossible. He was only stopped once in over 50 fights, and I'm thinking that it may have been a fluke. Other than that, he survived the best that Shavers, Holmes and Dokes had to throw at him.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum