Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2007, 06:41 PM   #1
Tommy Hearns
El Feo
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 61
vCash: 1000
Default Joey Giardello Is The Greatest MW From Philly

Admittedly, I’ve been a huge Giardello fan ever since I first saw the man on film dismantling Garth Panter at Madison Square Garden; nonetheless, this post isn’t bias driven. Bearing an impressive resume amidst one of the toughest decades in middleweight history and an equally impressive skill set, even Hopkins is surpassed as Philly’s 160 pound king IMO (even with consistency taken into account).

Giardello, whose famed poor training habits often included smoking, regularly entered the ring with minimal preparation yet still managed to tame some of the toughest, most rugged powerhouses the middleweight division had to offer. Joey’s mentality was simply fight anyone, anywhere, at anytime, and he made sure to put that into full effect throughout his career. Wins over Dick Tiger and Rubin Carter, as well as a Ring Magazine “Fight Of The Year” worthy victory over Henry Hank and a controversial draw with Gene Fullmer are all but a few of his more notable performances.

Sure, Hopkins’s eye catching twenty title defenses dwarf Giardello’s one in comparison, but in the same sense look at the numbers; Giardello had 100 plus fights prior to his second title shot as opposed to Hopkins’s 29.

Head to head it’s close; both fighters were expert counter punchers and all in all very crafty opponents for anyone at the 160 pound mark. Joey was generally less safety first and mechanical than Bernard; he worked the ring well and had a sharp jab, but he never shied away from getting his hands dirty or mixing it up with the big guys. His mandible was chiseled out of the same rock as Halger, Antuofermo, and LaMotta as well. I’ve seen Giardello take full fledged bombs from Spider Webb and Rubin Carter without batting an eye. In order to stop him you had to cut him, and even that wasn’t easy. Fighting with the type of regularity against the caliber of opposition he did, you picked up a thing or two. Forget the multiple feints, sly blocking and shifting, subtle head movement, or even his cleverly crafted right cross that saw Panter, Troy, and Cartier to the canvas; Giardello had mastered the art of deception and then some.

Hopkins on the other hand was more dangerous on the inside and more strategically efficient, but lacked the malleability to deal with someone as versatile as Giardello IMO.

The bottom line: Giardello’s inconsistency is outweighed by his win resume and head-to-head ability, earning him at the very least consideration for a top ten spot on middleweight lists and recognition as Philly’s finest 160 pound fighter ever.
Tommy Hearns is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2007, 08:31 PM   #2
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 21,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joey Giardello Is The Greatest MW From Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hearns
Admittedly, I’ve been a huge Giardello fan ever since I first saw the man on film dismantling Garth Panter at Madison Square Garden; nonetheless, this post isn’t bias driven. Bearing an impressive resume amidst one of the toughest decades in middleweight history and an equally impressive skill set, even Hopkins is surpassed as Philly’s 160 pound king IMO (even with consistency taken into account).

Giardello, whose famed poor training habits often included smoking, regularly entered the ring with minimal preparation yet still managed to tame some of the toughest, most rugged powerhouses the middleweight division had to offer. Joey’s mentality was simply fight anyone, anywhere, at anytime, and he made sure to put that into full effect throughout his career. Wins over Dick Tiger and Rubin Carter, as well as a Ring Magazine “Fight Of The Year” worthy victory over Henry Hank and a controversial draw with Gene Fullmer are all but a few of his more notable performances.

Sure, Hopkins’s eye catching twenty title defenses dwarf Giardello’s one in comparison, but in the same sense look at the numbers; Giardello had 100 plus fights prior to his second title shot as opposed to Hopkins’s 29.

Head to head it’s close; both fighters were expert counter punchers and all in all very crafty opponents for anyone at the 160 pound mark. Joey was generally less safety first and mechanical than Bernard; he worked the ring well and had a sharp jab, but he never shied away from getting his hands dirty or mixing it up with the big guys. His mandible was chiseled out of the same rock as Halger, Antuofermo, and LaMotta as well. I’ve seen Giardello take full fledged bombs from Spider Webb and Rubin Carter without batting an eye. In order to stop him you had to cut him, and even that wasn’t easy. Fighting with the type of regularity against the caliber of opposition he did, you picked up a thing or two. Forget the multiple feints, sly blocking and shifting, subtle head movement, or even his cleverly crafted right cross that saw Panter, Troy, and Cartier to the canvas; Giardello had mastered the art of deception and then some.

Hopkins on the other hand was more dangerous on the inside and more strategically efficient, but lacked the malleability to deal with someone as versatile as Giardello IMO.

The bottom line: Giardello’s inconsistency is outweighed by his win resume and head-to-head ability, earning him at the very least consideration for a top ten spot on middleweight lists and recognition as Philly’s finest 160 pound fighter ever.
Very good post on a vastly underated Champion,Giardello today would have a cake walk,Hopkins looks a little better than he is because there isnt the depth of talent around,imo.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:55 PM   #3
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 3,147
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joey Giardello Is The Greatest MW From Philly

Yes but talent wise Hopkins has all the tools. & to be the best you have to beat the best. I don't see Giardello beating Hopkins in a prime for prime situation. Other notable Philly middleweights, Bad Bennie Briscoe, Willie "The Worm" Monroe, Bobby "Boogaloo" Watts, Eugene "Cyclone" Hart, Frank "The Animal" Fletcher, Georgie Benton just to name a few.
la-califa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:57 PM   #4
Tommy Hearns
El Feo
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 61
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joey Giardello Is The Greatest MW From Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by la-califa
Yes but talent wise Hopkins has all the tools. & to be the best you have to beat the best. I don't see Giardello beating Hopkins in a prime for prime situation. Other notable Philly middleweights, Bad Bennie Briscoe, Willie "The Worm" Monroe, Bobby "Boogaloo" Watts, Eugene "Cyclone" Hart, Frank "The Animal" Fletcher, Georgie Benton just to name a few.
What Giardello fights have you seen?
Tommy Hearns is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:59 PM   #5
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Russia
Posts: 3,842
vCash: 1210
Default Re: Joey Giardello Is The Greatest MW From Philly

I don't think so. B-Hop was more versatile (we are talking Bernard more or less near his prime, not the very old energy-conserving version), skillful (even though not by much) and consistent (I never understood how Joey could lose so many fights).
Senya13 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:56 AM   #6
Tommy Hearns
El Feo
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 61
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joey Giardello Is The Greatest MW From Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13
I don't think so. B-Hop was more versatile (we are talking Bernard more or less near his prime, not the very old energy-conserving version), skillful (even though not by much) and consistent (I never understood how Joey could lose so many fights).
Joey was just naturally lazy in the gym and often had to pay the price for it during his hectic fighting schedule. As I said, skill wise it’s close; however, I still maintain that Joey at his peak could move, jab, and feint formidable men into knots all night (although Bernard would assuredly fare better). He was just about impossible to stop in top condition as well, even against Hopkins’s surgical precision and calculation. IMO Giardello would snag a close decision over fifteen.
Tommy Hearns is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:08 PM   #7
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 21,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joey Giardello Is The Greatest MW From Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13
I don't think so. B-Hop was more versatile (we are talking Bernard more or less near his prime, not the very old energy-conserving version), skillful (even though not by much) and consistent (I never understood how Joey could lose so many fights).
I dont think Giardello ever entered a ring in close to the condition Hopkins does,Hopkins longevity is a testament to the life he leads ,Giardello had the talent and toughness but never trained in the spartan manner of Hopkins.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:27 PM   #8
bumdujour
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: you´re not alive unless you´re almost dying!!
Posts: 1,496
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joey Giardello Is The Greatest MW From Philly

i think hopkins would beat giardello head to head.
bumdujour is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:45 PM   #9
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,482
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joey Giardello Is The Greatest MW From Philly

Hopkins never beat a good crafty technical fighter in his entire career.

hard to say how he would do against Giardello.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:35 PM   #10
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 21,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joey Giardello Is The Greatest MW From Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantequilla
Hopkins never beat a good crafty technical fighter in his entire career.

hard to say how he would do against Giardello.
I think maybe he did to be fair to him but they werent natural middles.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:40 PM   #11
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: shadow boxing in phila.
Posts: 2,372
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joey Giardello Is The Greatest MW From Philly

I do think Giardello is a better fighter than Hop.
Benton may be better than both though.
robert ungurean is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:14 PM   #12
Tommy Hearns
El Feo
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 61
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joey Giardello Is The Greatest MW From Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert ungurean
I do think Giardello is a better fighter than Hop.
Benton may be better than both though.
Benton was an excellent fighter (and trainer), but he lacks eithers credentials. He did beat Joey by decision, but that was not a peak Giardello; it took place only a few months after Giardello's war with Henry Hank.

His fight with Carter is a personal favorite of mine though.
Tommy Hearns is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:01 PM   #13
frankwornank
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 273
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joey Giardello Is The Greatest MW From Philly

Giardello far and away superior to Hopkins. In my eyes, if Hopkins had to face the fighters Giardello did, he would have a hard time being ranked in the top ten. Giardello was crafty, had a granite chin and feared no one. Add to that, he was all-around talented.
frankwornank is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013