Tunney by Decision 16 43.24%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2007, 04:00 PM   #46
Irish Steel
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marciano vs. Tunney

Tunney has a pretty big reach advantage. But then again Rocky always smothered his opponents. So i think Rocky wins by stoppage round 8-9
Irish Steel is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2007, 06:17 PM   #47
thunder06
Contender
ESB Senior Member

marciano has a much smaller reach
thunder06 is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 07:30 AM   #48
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdempsey
This is a tough one..in many ways i feel dempsey was the more skilled fighter then marciano...more skill..more speed...as good power..physically actually bigger..better reach..could brawl as well as marciano...and could box much better..and tunney beat him.....BUT, I still say that Tunney did not beat a prime dempsey...so...the question is....would a prime dempsey have beaten tunney..i think so....i have seen enough film of the young dempsey, that i do belive he was a significantly better fighter when he won the tite then when he lost it. So the second question is...where would Marciano be..if tunney and the rock fight 10 times....I say maricano ko or stops him inside of 15 4 times..i say he manages to batter him throught and take a decision 2 times....gene does not knock the rock out in any fights..but perhaps knocks him down in all fights...gene wins by decision in 4 fights.
Dempsey was no longer the "Mannassa Mauler"when he fought Tunney,he had been out of the ring for three years,and living the soft life,prime Dempsey beatsTunney imo.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 12:40 PM   #49
prime
BOX! Writing Champion
ESB Senior Member

Tunney was a safety-first, thinking fighter, student of his opponents, who approached each rival as a puzzle to be solved.

Marciano found Charles, Walcott and Moore in front of him more often than not because a) they were boxer-punchers b) their old legs could carry them away only for so long.

Tunney was a pure boxer whose main goal was the W on his record. He was athletic enough, savvy enough and fundamentally-sound enough to avoid Rocky's best enough to win the 15-round decision.
prime is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2007, 09:29 PM   #50
JIm Broughton
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I don't know about this one. This might actually be a bad matchup style wise for Marciano. Tunney was fast on his feet. Only Ali was a better dancer at HW and Gene was pretty tough to boot. He survived a series of brutal bouts with Harry Greb and learned from them as well. The Dempsey that fought Tunney was still faster than Marciano and Gene took all but one round in both fights! Gene cut Dempsey's eyes badly in the 1st fight and we all know how easily Rocky cut. I think the speed and mobility of Tunney would be the deciding factor for one fight anyway. In a 3 fight series Marciano would probably take 2 of them but Gene could certainly take 1 of them either by lopsided decision or stoppage on cuts.
JIm Broughton is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum