Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-22-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
unitas
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Larry Holmes (age 42) vs Tommy Morrison!!

This is the holmes of the mercer and holyfield fights. old but grumpy!!! and feisty!!

lets pretend the mercer fight never happened. lets pretend mercer was never born.

we all know that mercer got schooled by holmes..........but whacked out tommy.

to me, mercer was a guy with the wrong style for tommy. lets pretend it was tommy who knocked out damiani and was the WBO champ.

and now larry wants to use him as a stepping stone to the title..........and vise versa.

so who wins??

i think this would be much more difficult for holmes. mercer was a tough hard punching plodder. tommy had better skills to get to holmes.........and his left hook would be a great danger.

iŽd lean towards tommy.
unitas is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2007, 09:03 PM   #2
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Default Re: Larry Holmes (age 42) vs Tommy Morrison!!

I was tempted to agree with you until I thought about it a few more seconds.

Holmes ate quite a bit of leather in his 4 round bashing from Tyson, and I don't think Morrison is capable of dishing out that much punishment in the same amount of time. He was a fast starter, but how much faster a starter can he be than Mike? Holmes has a little more time in this fight. That is bad news for Morrison.

Morrison would win the first 3-4 rounds, and big. After that, he would begin to fade. Like a lot of fighters with mostly fast twitch muscle fibers, Morrson's high octane would have burned off. Holmes' jab would begin to take over in round 5 or 6. I believe Tommy would have completely faded by round 10, and Larry would stop him.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2007, 10:18 PM   #3
Muchmoore

vCash:

Holmes by close but clear decision.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:10 AM   #4
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

This would be a tricky fight. I agree with the person who said that Morrison would be a tougher fight for Larry than was Ray Mercer. Morrison had much more speed than did Mercer, and I think Tommy would hit Larry quite often over the course of the first four rounds or so. If Larry could survive Morrison's early onslaught, then I think Larry would have a decent chance to outpoint Morrison or even stop him late. To me, Larry didn't look all that spectacular against Mercer; he just used all his tricks and guile to smother Mercer and make him fight a stupid fight. Against a quicker, more mobile fighter, Holmes would have had his hands full...
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2007, 03:40 AM   #5
Cachibatches
Champion
East Side Guru

Morrison's knees would buckle every right hand Holmes got off.

Morrison was a steroid abusing, cigarette smoking, beer drinking, china chinned tough man with the most overrated hook of all time.

As an actor he was a great fighter, and as a fighter he was a great actor.
Cachibatches is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2007, 06:23 AM   #6
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Apart from that you like him, right?

I think you're severely underrating Morrison, did his fans piss you off in the past or something? But either which way, I think Holmes is too crafty for Tommy...as long as he can ride out the early fireworks, and I think Holmes is canny enough to do so, he can rally against a tired Morrison and jab his head off.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2007, 06:28 AM   #7
Cachibatches
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonD
Apart from that you like him, right?

I think you're severely underrating Morrison, did his fans piss you off in the past or something? But either which way, I think Holmes is too crafty for Tommy...as long as he can ride out the early fireworks, and I think Holmes is canny enough to do so, he can rally against a tired Morrison and jab his head off.
I personally watched his disasters against Mercer and Bent, along with his struggles against Purrity, Hipp, and a totally shot Carl Williams.

It was when he had to get up against the light hitting Willimams, and strugggled to put him away despite Williams' own chin problems, that I finally realized that Morrison was a high end club fighter.
Cachibatches is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2007, 03:06 PM   #8
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Morrison was a very beatable fighter, that's for sure. He was one of those fighters who had the ability to beat just about anybody because of his speed and power, but he was a guy who could lose to just about anybody because of his chin.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:15 PM   #9
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Holmes by UD
robert ungurean is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2007, 09:47 PM   #10
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Larry by ud taking over after the 4th round, and Morrison is gassed.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2007, 10:26 PM   #11
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think Holmes takes this one by a wide decision or even a late stoppage on cuts. Remember, in 1993 Morrison was dropped twice and nearly beaten by a washed up Carl Williams, who many felt had close similarities to Holmes, only not nearly as good. "Truth" was also a lot more suseptible to the left hook than Holmes was, and that almost wasn't enough to stop him. Morrison was also bested in one round by the unpolished prospect Michael Bent, and drew with 8-8 Ross Purity. Holmes on the otherhand, went 12 rounds with a prime Holyfield and completely outclassed an unbeaten Ray Mercer ( who we're supposed to pretend doesn't exist ) I just don't see the Duke taking this one by any means whatsoever.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2007, 10:28 PM   #12
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
As an actor he was a great fighter, and as a fighter he was a great actor.
Yep, that about sums it up
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2007, 10:31 PM   #13
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The only thing that might trouble Larry with Morrison is Morrison's strength in the early rounds. But that would fade very quickly after the 4th round.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2007, 12:17 AM   #14
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234
The only thing that might trouble Larry with Morrison is Morrison's strength in the early rounds. But that would fade very quickly after the 4th round.
There would be no guarantees that Holmes would make it past the 4th round though. Mercer staggered Holmes with a jab - a jab! If that had been Morrison who staggered Holmes like that, Larry would have been in much more jeapordy. Morrison, unlike Mercer, had alot of speed to supplement his power, and that speed would have troubled Holmes. I think Holmes picked the right "contender" to fight in Ray Mercer; a guy who was a limited plodder. Out of all of the so-called young heavyweights at the time, I think Mercer was the most limited. If Holmes could keep Morrison off of him and avoid Morrison's left hook in the early going, I would think Holmes had a real shot to win. But Morrison's speed and power - combined with Larry's shaky stamina and low work rate - would make this a tough one for Holmes.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum