Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-07-2007, 01:24 AM   #1
Mistadobalina
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Ripped Heavyweights?

i was just wondering, is it just the lack of athletic/over abundance of lazy heavyweights that make for a lack of defined, big, HWs. and i'm not talking about muscle-bound, weight-lifting, shannon briggs-esque types of physiques. i'm thinking more along the lines of steve cunningham, david haye, roy jones from 168-early days of 175, holyfield (as a LHW, not a HW), . examples i can think of are ken norton, but the guy in general weighed no more than 220lbs; ike ibeabuchi (but he still had that weight lifting bulk to him); andrei arlovski (ufc); etc.

i know that the "shredded" look is dependent on genetics, low body fat, and muscle tone. but when talking about heavyweights, is there a point that at so and so height, and so and so weight, there's really no way you can look as defined as a fighter in the smaller weight classes? lennox lewis early in his career was able to sport muscle definition that resembled that of the smaller weight classes, even when weighing in at the mid-high 230's. i assume this was do more to his naturally large frame and broad shoulders allowing the rest of his body to be more drawn out, as opposed to other heavyweights of similar height either looking too soft, or way too jacked to carry the weight.

i know the more weight there is on a frame, the harder it is to get a ripped tone to it. steve cunningham, for example is 6'3" and weighs in under 200lbs (CW), and the guy is as defined as it comes. does this mean that for a heavyweight to look as ripped as him, he'd theoretically have to be 6'6" or taller?

nfl star terrell owens also sports a very defined physique, but the guy is a weight lifting freak. does this mean that heavyweights can only achieve that look through heavy-lifting, as opposed to body-weight exercises like in the lower divisions?
Mistadobalina is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2007, 06:23 AM   #2
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900
Default Re: Ripped Heavyweights?

its because these guys are lazy, they do not have to worry about making weight so they slack off in the conditioning part of their training.
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2007, 12:40 PM   #3
mochabuzz
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

What happend to the Mike Weaver's and Ken Norton's? The HW division is sad nowadays :(
mochabuzz is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2007, 10:43 PM   #4
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yeah, it started slacking off around 1986-1987. But before that, they were ripped. Ken Norton was chizzled out of stone.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 01:16 PM   #5
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kute
Amd weak as shit.
Ken Norton was very strong. He just looked weak against some of the strongest heavyweights of all time, which is nothing to be ashamed of.

Last edited by nrgetic; 04-27-2006 at 08:12 AM.
Bill1234 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing