Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-14-2007, 01:06 AM   #1
aliwasthegreatest
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Hard to Dislike Tony Thompson

i dunno i've seen him fight he's a really good fighter especially considering he started fighting at age 27. nice jab fights too decent inside game. but the best part about him is how respectful and humble he is while still having loads of confidence. really a seemingly nice guy and easy to root for
aliwasthegreatest is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2007, 01:11 AM   #2
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Default Re: Hard to Dislike Tony Thompson

He's a solid all around fighter who has made the most out of career. I think he's a top 10 heavyweight and I would like to see him get a title shot. Even if he's not all that exciting, he deserves it.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 01:23 AM   #3
KillerInstinct
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Only seen him against Guinn, and he did look good but then again..Guinn didn't want to win and as usual, refused to throw punches. Thompson isn't gonna be a titilist but I think he could pose a problem or two for some of the weaker champs like Ibragimov.
KillerInstinct is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 04:35 AM   #4
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

He's doing well at the moment. I had him tagged as a Tye Fields type, happy to be a big fish in a small pond, but he has stepped up in his last three or four fights and does seem to have a good practical idea of his aims and direction.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 04:58 AM   #5
Hrak
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 328

Tony Thompson is pretty damn average. He has no power and his skill level is very average. His climbed as high as he can, as soon as he steps up, hill be KO'd.
Hrak is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 05:09 AM   #6
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
vCash: 300

He is an A class heavyweight who knows how to hold his own, but against an A-Game Klitschko he would not cut the mustard...
Bigcat is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 05:47 AM   #7
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
He's a solid all around fighter who has made the most out of career. I think he's a top 10 heavyweight and I would like to see him get a title shot. Even if he's not all that exciting, he deserves it.
I agree. He's a very solid 2nd tier fighter and I'd easily pick him over Brock, Arreola, Chambers and Rahman level guys without a second thought, and he'd of course spank the next tier down of American HW's like the joke Travis Walker.

I'd also take him over Oleg Maskaev.

He deserves a shot, he's fresh at his age currently and knows how to use what he has correctly. Outclassing Timur better than Brock did, shutting out Guinn and then stopping Krasniqi in 5 rounds is as good a resume as what's circulating around for top 10 guys currently, just look at Calvin Brock.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 05:49 AM   #8
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanJew

You have got to be ****ing joking. Did you see his fight with Timur Ibragimov? The guy is shit. Wladimir would knock his ass out in 2 rounds. Maskaev would KO him, Peter would KO him, Shit I would favor Valuev to KO him. Chagaev would rip him open. Thompson is a palooka
Chagaev, S. Ibragimov, Valuev, Peter and of course Wlad blow him out, but don't act like Maskaev and the other American HW's are any better currently.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:58 AM   #9
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
He has shit power, crap footwork, can only rudimentally box. He has ONE win over a decent opponent Krasnqui. I would favor a shitload of guys over him
I would also, but not any of the true 2nd tier. I'd favour him over guys like Skelton and Sprott also, maybe Danny Williams.

What you have to understand is that he uses his size very well and imposes his shitty skills to their maximum and it nullifies certain types, say an Eddie Chambers, Thompson easily wins that one on size alone and he'd also spark the current Rahman and Maskaev of course.

If you really want to see a shitty fighter, watch Travis Walker.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:32 AM   #10
albaneze
HAXHI - The new Champ
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyoyoy
I don't care if he is average.
I don't care if he sucks.
I don't care if he has one arm.

He has beaten Guinn, S. Imbragimov, and Luan Krasniqi.
If that's not good enough for a title shot (nowadays), I dont know what is.
Sultan is unbeaten my friend, thompson has never fought with Sultan, and if that happens.. Man thomposon is gonna regret big time why the hell did he mess around with his left jab.
albaneze is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 08:11 AM   #11
RonnieHornschuh
ESB indie police
ESB Addict

vCash: 1399

i don't know how some people can get excited about a boring, average fighter. i agree with hrak, as soon as he faces an a or b+ fighter he gets ko'd. he is sooooooo slow and has zero power, vitali should have fought him as a tune-up.
RonnieHornschuh is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 08:38 AM   #12
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwasthegreatest
i dunno i've seen him fight he's a really good fighter especially considering he started fighting at age 27. nice jab fights too decent inside game. but the best part about him is how respectful and humble he is while still having loads of confidence. really a seemingly nice guy and easy to root for
His last fight was really weird.His Albanian foe,Luan Krasniqui,just refused to accept any real exchange of gloves.
The Albanian quitter is probably one of the mentally weakest fighters out there,but hell he didnt even try to engage Thompson in a fight.
What a joke of a fight it was!
Odo is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 08:40 AM   #13
Heavyrighthand
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

You have got to be ****ing joking. Did you see his fight with Timur Ibragimov? The guy is shit. Wladimir would knock his ass out in 2 rounds. Maskaev would KO him, Peter would KO him, Shit I would favor Valuev to KO him. Chagaev would rip him open. Thompson is a palooka
I am taken aback by the harshness of your post, but at the same time, I gotta agree.

Thompson seems to be a great guy, but someone good, would thoroughly embarrass him. He seems to have power on the level of Corrie Spinks, and is not very fast or skilled, either.

No getting very far.
Heavyrighthand is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 09:41 AM   #14
aliwasthegreatest
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

so not being top 5 means your not a very good fighter? i think you miss the difference between good and elite
aliwasthegreatest is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 11:37 AM   #15
emanuel_augustus
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
He's a very solid 2nd tier fighter and I'd easily pick him over Brock, Arreola, Chambers and Rahman level guys without a second thought, and he'd of course spank the next tier down of American HW's like the joke Travis Walker.

I'd also take him over Oleg Maskaev.
He is 2nd tier, but I'd still take all those guys you mentioned except Arreola and Walker to beat him. He's pretty one dimensional. Tall with a good jab, not much else. Any of the current champs beat him, and Wlad kills him.
emanuel_augustus is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum