Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-14-2007, 03:51 PM   #16
Sonny's jab

vCash:
Default Re: What one fight raised a fighters all-time P4P rankings the most

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
Billy Conn's first fight against Joe Louis.

He has some solid wins on his resume, but I think he'd be largely forgotten if not for the legendary performance against Joe. All of the watching and re-watching of that fight is what has most fans ready to argue with anyone who leaves Conn out of the discussion for top five all-time at light-heavy.
Good call.

Billy Conn probably wouldn't have deserved to be forgotten, but it's only the Joe Louis fight that saves him from that fate.

Brilliant rivals and popular contemporaries of his, such as Fred Apostoli & Solly Kreiger, often draw a complete blank from many of us with a deep interest in boxing history.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #17
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum
Ironically, it's a couple of defeats which I consider when addressing this. What Duran did against Hagler was astonishing at the time. Check out the footage of Duran against DeJesus, or any other lightweight opponent. Then check out Hagler destroying Sibson, Scypion or Obelmejias. Could Duran have reasonably been expected to have a lead on Hagler after 12, or go the 15 round distance without first hitting the dirt?

Robinson's dominant performance against Maxim is also a remarkable display. Robby had that bout won. Maxim only took three of the 13 rounds contested, and this was a boxer who competed in the HW division through most of his career. He held wins over Jimmy Bivins and Jersey Joe Walcott, and would go on to hand Floyd Patterson his first professional loss. A past peak SRR was schooling him while boxing as a middleweight.

Mentioning Duran again, what he did to Barkley at the age he did it is incredible. Remember, Barkley would go on to kayo and retire Coetzee. (Hmmm....here's a thought. Duran at 126 against Coetzee at 250. Does the teenager who knocked out Marcel dump the bionic hand on his butt?)
It was so dang hot there, that Maxim was not fighting at his full force, He did a risky plan by laying back and letting Robinson wins rounds, in hopes the heat will get him. And it work. Maxim was not as agressive vs Robinson as he was say Moore.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 04:05 PM   #18
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
Good call.

Billy Conn probably wouldn't have deserved to be forgotten, but it's only the Joe Louis fight that saves him from that fate.

Brilliant rivals and popular contemporaries of his, such as Fred Apostoli & Solly Kreiger, often draw a complete blank from many of us with a deep interest in boxing history.
Yep, they're exactly who I was thinking of!

I'm sorry to say I've never seen film of either -- but when Conn was interviewed, the way he described being life and death to beat Apostoli sure tells me that I've missed out.
Tony is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 07:02 PM   #19
Lex
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Tunney vs. Dempsey. Without those wins, Tunney isn't as well known among boxing fans.

Basilio over SRR. More significant, impressive and difficult than Duran over Leonard.

Saddler's bouts with Pep earned him ATG respect, even if they were winning ugly.

Sanchez two wins over Lopez really clinched Sal as an ATG nominee, despite his youth and short career.

Spinks over Holmes.
Lex is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 07:49 PM   #20
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238
It was so dang hot there, that Maxim was not fighting at his full force, He did a risky plan by laying back and letting Robinson wins rounds, in hopes the heat will get him. And it work. Maxim was not as agressive vs Robinson as he was say Moore.
True, but it's still a little surprising that Robinson succumbed. Because he didn't need to concern himself with making weight, he could have gone into that contest fully hydrated. All Ray would have needed to do was lean against a corner for two rounds covered up. I'm not sold on the notion than an aggressive Maxim would have done much better. Robby had a huge edge in speed and mobility.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 08:55 PM   #21
juancho214
Journeyman

forrest over mosley
juancho214 is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 09:03 PM   #22
jhar26
Journeyman

Frazier beating Ali in their first fight
jhar26 is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 10:15 PM   #23
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex
Tunney vs. Dempsey. Without those wins, Tunney isn't as well known among boxing fans.

Basilio over SRR. More significant, impressive and difficult than Duran over Leonard.

Saddler's bouts with Pep earned him ATG respect, even if they were winning ugly.

Sanchez two wins over Lopez really clinched Sal as an ATG nominee, despite his youth and short career.

Spinks over Holmes.
Tunney holds wins over Greb, Carp, Gibbions, Loughran of couse, and Bat Leviski. Dempsey hardly matters here imo.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:19 PM   #24
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum
True, but it's still a little surprising that Robinson succumbed. Because he didn't need to concern himself with making weight, he could have gone into that contest fully hydrated. All Ray would have needed to do was lean against a corner for two rounds covered up. I'm not sold on the notion than an aggressive Maxim would have done much better. Robby had a huge edge in speed and mobility.
Maybe, But Robinson always did have trouble with thsos slow moving slugger types like Maxim. Fullmer, Lamotta, Baslio, Turpin, all hold wins over Robinson. I think had Maxy fight normally, he could have pull off a win, Rember Olson gave Robinson a tought fight in the first fight. Robinson's main weakness style wise was the swarmer types. They always seem to have his number or give him hell.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum