Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-11-2007, 08:57 AM   #46
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Middleweight with the hardest chin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
And out of curiosity, a bit off topic, but what about Hearns of all he faced was it that you think got to Duran?
Not sure. Hearn's had possibly IMO the greatest blend of speed and power in the history of boxing with Tyson, Louis and Foster right there with him. Jones too i guess. Beside that his physical advantages height and reach wise would be daunting.

Bottom line - you place great credence in punch resistence getting better when moving up in weight while i don't. I saw no betterment in guys like Holmes, Page,
Douglas et al when they carried more pounds. If it were true a heavyweight could go on a weight gaining programme like some fighters do moving up and improve durability noticably. Can't see it myself.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 09:03 AM   #47
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Your resistence obviously gets higher as you get bigger. That's why people in lower weights get KO'd by people at their weight, but when they move up for the most part their power goes away, because they are facing bigger fighters with greater punch resistence. As Toney moved up, his punch resistence did as well.

How the hell do you explained him getting dropped and badly hurt by Reggie Johnson at MW? At MW his chin was not as good as the others mentioned, it was more how he rolled with punches than anything, and how his defense was and how he knew how to take a punch, than just his ability to take a full on shot, although he undoubtedly had a good chin period.
Toney may have been able to take those punches better because he was bigger. On the other hand, it did slow him down, hurting his ability to roll with them.

But what i meant is that Toney proved his chin against middleweights, supermiddleweights (what SMW punches harder than Jones?), lightheavyweight, cruiserweight and heavyweight.
Hagler's chin is unquestionable at MW but who knows what would've happened had he faced Spinks.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 09:09 AM   #48
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
Hagler's chin is unquestionable at MW but who knows what would've happened had he faced Spinks.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2007, 09:12 AM   #49
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 153

i never knew this thread would reach 5 pages.
Bad_Intentions is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 09:29 AM   #50
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Intentions
i never knew this thread would reach 5 pages.
So you're the culprit!

Old 08-15-2007, 03:40 AM   #51
Lex
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

It would be easier to pick a list of middleweights who couldn't take a punch. MW has typically featured a bunch of rock jawed SOBs, too many to list here.
Lex is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2007, 05:19 AM   #52
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Hagler is the first that immediately springs to mind. LaMotta and Toney are others.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2007, 07:31 AM   #53
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

Chris Eubank - fought ever hard puncher in the division he would be dropped by shots that caught him off balance he has only been on the floor for 7 seconds..which is better than some fighters who have been knocked out only once.

Gerald McClellan - fought top 10 hardest middlewieght of all time and 14 on my pound 4 pound hitter list in benn, p4p hardest puncher juliun jackson and also immensly strong hard hitting puncher john the beast mugabi and was only on the floor when he took a knee...impressive stuff.

Marvin Hagler - never knocked down was a small guy for the wieght (so i take that into acount) and took the brunt of the force of the big shots from the bigger men.

Last edited by Vantage_West; 08-15-2007 at 07:52 AM.
Vantage_West is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum