GPater11093 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2008, 12:13 PM   #17
andy mack
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Beginning sparring/amateur bouts

Quote:
i asked a couple people this in a msg but i want to know what yall think... why every gym i went to they say have your hands up blah blah blah, but why when you look at floyd or even amateur fighters in golden gloves.. pals on youtube everyone has there hand up... i feel like when my hands up i cant slip punches fast im moving to slow...
It's to stop your face from getting pounded!

As a beginner, it's best to concentrate on having a high guard so if you don't move/slip etc (which is quite likely as takes a bit of practise) the punch coming to you will be at least partially blocked.

If you try and have a low guard like floyd starting out, more experienced fighters will be getting in clean shots all day. Also floyd alternates his guard. He usually has his right hand up by his chin stopping opponents shots with their left and has the right across the body to stop anything from landing there with the chin tucked down into his left shoulder, using his reflexes to get away from the longer (therefore slower) right hand punches (obviously this theory only applies to orthodox). He does use the high guard as well, usually a the beginning of a fight, probably to keep it tight first off and not being caught cold. Also Floyd has been boxing since he could walk, so can get away with alot of things no one else could

I think its an experience thing. With more sparring you know what you can get away with and what things will end you up in trouble, but for the most part it is better to have a high guard starting out.
andy mack is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2008, 04:38 PM   #18
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

Everyone thinks they are the next Floyd Mayweather.
amy is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2008, 06:02 PM   #19
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Watch Winky.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2008, 03:25 PM   #20
stittyb
Contender
ESB Senior Member

My advice, just get in the ring and see how it goes. It's only sparring, you spar to learn not to win. Generally i just hit as hard as my spar partner, it often seems to get harder during the bout, nut it's all good fun and it's in a controlled environment. And in the amateur game it's speed you want to concentrate on, power is good yes, but think about it like this. If i land 10 light, fast but soft shots, i have 10 points, if you land 9 bombs but fail to take me out, i win. It's easier to land and score with fast shots than it is with heavy shots
stittyb is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing