Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-30-2008, 01:15 AM   #1
Primenal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Help with home training

So, I've been boxing for a few years now. No matches..Just for fun. Then I went to martial arts (while still boxing). Then, went to MMA.
I've learned a lot from each, but just got tired of taking shots/ being sore all the time (mainly from the MMA). I never did a TON of sparring while I was boxing/ doing the martial arts...Which is why I went to MMA just cuz there was a lot guys at the gym for me to fight. So, I was constantly sore because all we did was spar.
I also realized how in shape you gotta be. These guys spar 3 minutes rounds/ 30 seconds rest in between rounds, and just go round...after round. I had a lot more skill than a lot of them, and was waaaay more powerful than any guy near my size (I'm 5'6 170, and have lifted for about 6 years now). I learned how important conditioning was though cuz i'd go 2 minutes very well, and 3rd minute I'd gas out. Plus, I'm short so much more work getting them

Anyways, I quit because I was tired of it, and started killing myself training at the house. Right now I do 3 minute rounds of everything...Wether it be bag work, jump rope, speed bag, even my kicks I do rounds for. At first it was hard, and now it's not so bad most of the time.
Here's the thing though. Right now on my boxing days I'm up to 4 rounds on the speed bag (3 minutes/ 30 second rest between), and then I go 4 rounds on the heavy bag same time/ same rest. I consider that to be pretty good, but how hard should I actually be working? I usually throw A LOT of punches (like i'd guess 120-150 punches within 3 minutes) at 50% power. This is moving around, some head movement, I fight inside mostly, but also practice on the outside, practice holding, pushing, etc as well. The last 30 seconds I throw straight punches (1-2-1-2) to boost the heart rate, and finish the round strong. Is there anything I can do to make myself better? Should I sometimes hit the bag harder than 50%? I'm sure I'd tire out a lot faster, and it's hard to keep your wind when you change up your routine a lot. I just want to get peoples opinions of what would best benefit me...
I'm mainly looking for a cardio benefit (I got most skill/ tecnique), and any fighting I do in the future...Probably would be on the street.
Primenal is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2008, 05:55 AM   #2
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836
Default Re: Help with home training

just up your workrate on the bags to 170-180 like wayne mcluloch and that should egt you fit.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2008, 07:09 AM   #3
Aplin
Nak Muay
ESB Full Member

Quote:
I usually throw A LOT of punches (like i'd guess 120-150 punches within 3 minutes) at 50% power.
I would say one of the most consistent throwers other than Pacquiao is Calzaghe, so I have stolen his routine

Just to let you know mate...

Shadowboxing - I aim for 120-140 punches a minute (Calzaghe does the same)
Heavy Bad Work - I aim for 100 punches a minute (calzaghe does the same)
Resistance Bands - 100 punches per minute (calzaghe does the same)

Other Calzaghe stuff

He runs 1000 stairs a day (find somewhere with 25 steps, run up and then down and then up until you get to 1000 - he does this instead of skipping)

He works 3 x 3 minutes pushing a guy up a hill (try it!)

That is all I took from his workouts, but there is much more
Aplin is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
tomsk8count

where did you get info on his workouts?
tomsk8count is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2009, 08:29 PM   #5
Primenal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplin View Post
I would say one of the most consistent throwers other than Pacquiao is Calzaghe, so I have stolen his routine

Just to let you know mate...

Shadowboxing - I aim for 120-140 punches a minute (Calzaghe does the same)
Heavy Bad Work - I aim for 100 punches a minute (calzaghe does the same)
Resistance Bands - 100 punches per minute (calzaghe does the same)

Other Calzaghe stuff

He runs 1000 stairs a day (find somewhere with 25 steps, run up and then down and then up until you get to 1000 - he does this instead of skipping)

He works 3 x 3 minutes pushing a guy up a hill (try it!)

That is all I took from his workouts, but there is much more
Quite a workout, but doesn't seem unattainable. I'll have to actually count my punches next time...Not really sure what I throw, but I was just estimating 120-150. I also practice pushing, wrestling, muscling the bag (kind of like a Ricky Hatton style) to increase my strength. My bag weighs 150 so it's a decent size to push.
Push a guy up a hill? LMAO! Does he got a video of that workout?
Primenal is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing