Old 01-01-2009, 08:54 PM   #16
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Power Outage!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John18 View Post
I got the impression last night that all we have is guys that can't take any kind of body punch.

I was a wee bit depressed after watching that show last night. Would need to see it again before articulating it properly though.

exactly what i was thinking. they had a whole section for body punches but even still half the program was of guys crying form a left to the body.

my personal belief is that british journeyman get around enough and know how to handle themselves and not get hit. buckley is a testament to this...but still many other brit journeyman give a good account of themselves.
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2009, 05:09 AM   #17
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Yep dean Francis should def be in, hall and smith are thereabouts too. I think the young smith looks heavy handed and goes looking for the ko. The lad who most impressed me is the kid who stopped ernie smith, he looks exceptional, Paul smith too needs to move up in class. This is where the problems start with sports network, they won't recognize this and smith, an erratic performer may get knocked off by some unknown.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2009, 06:35 AM   #18
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

i would say that show lacked allot of british fighters as well as only lasting half an hour due to the minimal amount of boxing coverage from sky last year.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2009, 06:40 AM   #19
dwilson

vCash:

We still have guys with power but you do not seem to see fighters who can just bang a guy with one punch any more unless they fight an afrobummer.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:05 AM   #20
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Thaxton and Haye are about the best one punch hitters....
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #21
PaddyD1983
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 324

Jeff - I think you've got a great point regarding the ams.

I've though this for while. Team GB seems to lean towards boxers over punchers for the obvious benefits in the am scoring. For example, Tony Bellew is a banger, 3 time ABA champion but was overlooked by England because his style didnt particularly suit the England set up. As a result I think a lot of would be bangers dont get (a) the break they need and/or (b) good tests early enough in their career to turn them into a good enough talent.

Looking round the talent pool, we have some real prospects but few punchers.

I think that many ams though are becoming increasingly disillusioned with the England set up so many may turn pro whereas before hand they would have stuck out for some international experience. Hopefully that might lead to an about turn...
PaddyD1983 is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #22
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Just working on my list.......

Are we talking composite or cumulative?
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #23
sean
pale peice of pig`s ear
ESB Addict

i used to like pat barratt
engligh light welter who packed huge power , saw him knock an italian clean out, unconcious in a european title fight in italy.

he could not get a light welter title shot though, moved up to welter and was not really effective at the weight and slowly drifted out of the sport.

huge puncher though, sadly got done for guns and drugs, i remember in my neck of the woods a few years ago.

we had another light welter who thaxton ko`d spark out , his daughter went to the same school as mine for a while in south woodford, just his name will not come into my head.

he was a seek destroy or get the **** knocked out fighter in the east end, good fun to watch.

think of it in a sec
sean is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum