Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 12-31-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999
Default British fighter of the year 2008

This is my list of the top 10 British fighters this year, please forgive me for missing out any obvious fighters that should be in the list!

1. Ryan Rhodes - Captured the British title early in the year, defended it and then won the WBC International title and could well be set for a world title tilt if he gets past Anthony Small.

2. David Haye - Destroyed Enzo Mac inside of 2 rounds to unify the cruiserweight division and stepped up to heavyweight and stopped experienced campaigner Monte Barrett in 5 rounds.

3. Rendall Munroe - In a fantastic year for the 'bin-man' he won the European championship from the heavily favoured Kiko Martinez and defended the title 3 times in the year. He may never go beyond european level but no one can deny he has had a fantastic year.

4. Joe Calzaghe - Defeated two modern legends of the sport in 2008. Firstly he won a split-decision against Bernard Hopkins who proved he was not past it against Pavlik, then defeated a 'past it' Roy Jones Jr comfortably.

5. Kell Brook - Defeated Barrie Jones for the British title and then defended it in impressive fashion by knocking out the previous holder of the title, Kevin McIntyre, in the first round. Could prove to be a big 2009 for him...or not with him being with Frank ******.

6. Carl Froch - Fought an unknown earlier in the year (with people pulling out of the fight) but treated us to a great fight against the talented Jean Pascal where he captured the WBC title with a points victory. If he has a successful 2009, he could very well be the best British fighter of 2009.

7. Ian Napa - Defended his British title earlier in the year, then scooped up the European title as the underdog by defeating Ballone in a closely contested fight. No one will begrudge the 'Dappa' Napa of Receiving some decent pay-days in 2009 by defending the Euro title and possibly going for a world title.

8. Nathan Cleverly - Continuing to show why he is one of British boxing's best prospects, picked up the commonwealth title with a decision over Tony Oakey and defended the title by showing he has some power to go with his skills by knocking out Otieno.

9. Kevin Mitchell - Fought and won against two credible opponents in 2008, which were Johanneson and Estrada, and was in arguably the best British fight of 2008 with Johanneson. Possible WBO title fight next year if Cook loses the title.

10. Ricky Hatton - Was disappointing in his 'homecoming' fight against Juan Lazcano, but proved the critics wrong by dismantling Paulie Malignaggi, who was the number 2 in the division at the time. Massive year in store for Hatton.

Just missed out - Jon Thaxton, Herbie Hide, Matt Skelton, Nicky Cook, Martin Lindsay, John Murray, Paul Appleby

Last edited by kosaros; 01-01-2009 at 08:12 AM.
kosaros is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
stakeout
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: British fighter of the year 2008

I'd vote for the Hayemaker. I feel his stock has risen further than the others in the past 12 months.
stakeout is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
HairyHighlander
BASS !! HOWLOWCANUGO ??
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stakeout View Post
I'd vote for the Hayemaker. I feel his stock has risen further than the others in the past 12 months.
Thats basically it. Can others match what he has done in 12 months ? Some have been very early, Cleverly it seems, but what compares to Hayes ride, not much.

Great year for him and if he had 5 losses next, he is so much more a fighter than any at present.
HairyHighlander is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Yeah it was close between David Haye and Ryan Rhodes for top spot.

Reasons for me putting Rhodes in number 1 spot is that he was very much a forgotten fighter at the start of the year, yet has ended the year as the European champion with a realistic chance of a world title opportunity.

This is why i disagree that Haye's stock has risen higher than anybody else in 2008, I mean he was already world champion in 2007.
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2008, 08:45 PM   #5
HairyHighlander
BASS !! HOWLOWCANUGO ??
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosaros View Post

Reasons for me putting Rhodes in number 1 spot is that he was very much a forgotten fighter at the start of the year, yet has ended the year as the European champion with a realistic chance of a world title opportunity.

This is why i disagree that Haye's stock has risen higher than anybody else in 2008, I mean he was already world champion in 2007.
Good post but isnt that like saying Rhodes was this or that in such n such ? True he has done well and a big hat of to him, genuine. If i was looking at it like that, im sure there are others i/we could have in top spot.

Overalll,Haye done good

Overall= Bringing home coin,or more importantly, EXPOSURE
HairyHighlander is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2009, 05:19 AM   #6
alba
Guess who?
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosaros View Post

that is a good list mate,but i would have put in there paul appleby.his achievements merit him being put in that list.
alba is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2009, 05:24 AM   #7
joekirkbycobra
King Of The Ring
ESB Addict

rendall munroe for me
joekirkbycobra is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2009, 06:31 AM   #8
cityofgod
Worcester warrior
ESB Senior Member

I think Froch has had the toughest assignment and provided a thriller.

Macca & Barrett are both mediocre at world class where Haye is right now.

My props go to Paul Appleby, a great young lad and also the Barkers, Munroes and Kell's of the sport.
cityofgod is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2009, 07:33 AM   #9
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofgod View Post
I think Froch has had the toughest assignment and provided a thriller.

Macca & Barrett are both mediocre at world class where Haye is right now.

My props go to Paul Appleby, a great young lad and also the Barkers, Munroes and Kell's of the sport.
To be honest we do not know whether Pascal stands in world class territory (although i believe he is).
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2009, 08:11 AM   #10
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by reilly View Post
that is a good list mate,but i would have put in there paul appleby.his achievements merit him being put in that list.
I knew i forgot someone, i even forgot to put him on the just missed out list.
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2009, 06:09 AM   #11
Artani
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Calzaghe first - Haye second
Artani is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2009, 06:17 AM   #12
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict

Good list, I'd honourably mention Appelby and Barker
Jack Dempsey is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #13
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Dempsey View Post
Good list, I'd honourably mention Appelby and Barker
Thanks, although sadly (and embarrassingly) i have not even seen Barker fight so i could not, based solely on my opinion, place him on the list, however i will make sure to check him out this year.
kosaros is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum