Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-31-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
Lightning Jabs

vCash: 1000
Default keeping the fight in you

Any advice on keeping the fight in you. The other day my trainer had me spar with one of the pro fighters that belong to my gym. Yeah i got beat but i felt i could have done better. He was so good. He could time me and pick his shots. When i jabbed he could catch me with a quick one right before my hand was pulled back. I landed a few good shots but once i got to round 5 i was gone and he started to step it up little by little and i got hit more and more. It was like all my power went away and my hands started to get lazy. No matter how hard i punched it seemed like he was unaffected. How do you keep the fight in you and fight through the pain how do you keep the power there in the later rounds?
Lightning Jabs is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2008, 11:47 AM   #2
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

Default Re: keeping the fight in you

Guts really. It's different in sparring of course. But in an actual bout, I just don't want to lose. If I'm really tired I usually think back on something that was really hard/tiring and/or painful and in comparison throwing a few more punches for the rest of the round isn't that hard.
amy is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2008, 12:00 PM   #3
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

when im tired in a ring i sometimes just go to war with the boy im fighting obviously not the best method but you can sometimes get a late stoppage but im starting to box more when i get tired

1. train real hard and you wont get tired
2. try to pick shots better
3. missing tires you out real bad (so try not to miss)

its hard but its boxing
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2008, 12:08 PM   #4
Bill Humphrey

If he's a pro then he will fight at a pro's pace which is slower than amateur pace. If you fought the first three rounds at amateur pace I'm not surprised you were getting tired. You need to spar as an amateur or as a pro and they are not the same pace.

Regards BH
Bill Humphrey is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
JMonster
Contender
ESB Senior Member

just depends how bad u want it. try to think of it as a chess match. or especially if ur losing real bad and it's only sparring, try things that u have wondered if they will work or not. u might find a real good trick by doing this. also, afterwards, ask him for some tips
JMonster is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2009, 04:41 PM   #6
Lightning Jabs

ok thanks alot. he did give me somemore tips on what he noticed about me and he also told me to slow it down. learn to save energy. things of that sort.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:35 AM   #7
ralphc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Jabs View Post
Any advice on keeping the fight in you. The other day my trainer had me spar with one of the pro fighters that belong to my gym. Yeah i got beat but i felt i could have done better. He was so good. He could time me and pick his shots. When i jabbed he could catch me with a quick one right before my hand was pulled back. I landed a few good shots but once i got to round 5 i was gone and he started to step it up little by little and i got hit more and more. It was like all my power went away and my hands started to get lazy. No matter how hard i punched it seemed like he was unaffected. How do you keep the fight in you and fight through the pain how do you keep the power there in the later rounds?

It all depends on how badly you want to win. If you want it bad enough you will learn to adjust to his style. He is as human as you are, and he can be beaten. However the desire to fight has to be in you, and if it is not you don't belong in boxing. Boxing is a dangerous sport and people with a lackluster attitude are going to get hurt.
ralphc is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #8
Doomas
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 680

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Humphrey View Post
If he's a pro then he will fight at a pro's pace which is slower than amateur pace. If you fought the first three rounds at amateur pace I'm not surprised you were getting tired. You need to spar as an amateur or as a pro and they are not the same pace.

Regards BH
I think this is the perfect answer, simple as that, different pace and most likely experience, not burning out too early, happens alot to me under bigger stress than usual.

Ralphc, instead of questioning somebodys power of will (and heart) try to give decent advice (if your experienced).
Doomas is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2009, 08:35 PM   #9
Lightning Jabs

i am not saying my will power is weak i just wanted advice on how to stay in there and fight through it. i noticed that his pace was much slower than mine he would not throw as many punches. he would keep it slow and look for openings or use combinations when he felt i was getting tired. i will be sparring with him in a couple of days. but last session i had with the am slowing my pace down really worked. thanks for the advice.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing