Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-06-2009, 08:44 AM   #46
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Any solid/talented UK prospects on the up & up?

i did a big post on this a few weeks ago. khan really is the stand out. if the guy didnt go to the olympics and had the same record he has now people on here would be going ape shit about him. i have personally turned agaisnt him since he went on PPV.

i think Kevin Mitchell is a top fighter, will join froch and haye as the big guns by 2010. nathan cleverly looks good.

the one thing about british fighters is once you get beyond journeyman level theres not many push overs. the domestic divisions are allot more competative. if you had seen hatton after thaxton you would of said he wouldnt last a round with Tysuzu so you never no.

Groves looks very good he will be brought up tough.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2009, 08:50 AM   #47
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

I personally think that there is far too much one sided matchmaking early in the careers of fighters (say 1st 15 contests) to determine whether or not someone is an average/good/very good/outstanding prospect.

Khan is a classic example of someone who has been easily matched. The records of most of his opponents (on paper) look good, but most of their better form being at feather/super feather allied to low KO ratios.

Others that have been matched poorly (though for different reasons) are Murray, Brook and Mitchell.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2009, 09:05 AM   #48
Darni187
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
It would be good to see what Khan actually has against an evenly matched opponent - preferably below the age of 30 and a career 135lb'er.

Perhaps try winning the British and European titles, dump the Commonwealth and inter-alphabetty pieces of trash
Yes it would be nice to see him fight better fighters, and i think Roach feels the same, let see who he fights next. I want Khan to fight John Murray in the May/June 2009.
Darni187 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2009, 09:07 AM   #49
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darni187 View Post
Yes it would be nice to see him fight better fighters, and i think Roach feels the same, let see who he fights next. I want Khan to fight John Murray in the May/June 2009.
Khan vs Murray would be a good fight - especially with the following......

1. They are pretty much the same age.

2. Khan would be fighting for a proper title.

3. Murray is getting a bit overrated due to his British title success and Khan's spectacular KO loss to Prescott.

Murray is good, don't get me wrong - but if Roach improves Khan's defence and balance I would expect Khan by late stoppage/UD.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:14 AM   #50
Darni187
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Khan vs Murray would be a good fight - especially with the following......

1. They are pretty much the same age.

2. Khan would be fighting for a proper title.

3. Murray is getting a bit overrated due to his British title success and Khan's spectacular KO loss to Prescott.

Murray is good, don't get me wrong - but if Roach improves Khan's defence and balance I would expect Khan by late stoppage/UD.
Yeah I agree. Prescott loss was a set back but Roach should improve Khan alot. Yes defence and balance needs to improve alot, and in Khan's last fight he showed some improvements lets hope he improves further. I think Khan would beat Murray inside 8 rounds by K.O, Khan has very fast hand speed.
Darni187 is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2009, 09:22 AM   #51
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darni187 View Post
Yeah I agree. Prescott loss was a set back but Roach should improve Khan alot. Yes defence and balance needs to improve alot, and in Khan's last fight he showed some improvements lets hope he improves further. I think Khan would beat Murray inside 8 rounds by K.O, Khan has very fast hand speed.
I think he already looked smarter - instead of trying to blast Fagan out he actually had a look at what was in front of him.

Unless are backed up by power or a great chin, you aren't going to blast people out all the time. Perhaps with guys like Hatton, Calzaghe, Froch and Haye doing this consistently on the way up, he thought he could too, I don't know.

His handspeed is ridiculous, and has a good jab.

One thing that must improve, and quick, is his inside fighting - he still looks like a clubfighter up close.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:40 AM   #52
Darni187
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I think he already looked smarter - instead of trying to blast Fagan out he actually had a look at what was in front of him.

Unless are backed up by power or a great chin, you aren't going to blast people out all the time. Perhaps with guys like Hatton, Calzaghe, Froch and Haye doing this consistently on the way up, he thought he could too, I don't know.

His handspeed is ridiculous, and has a good jab.

One thing that must improve, and quick, is his inside fighting - he still looks like a clubfighter up close.
Yeah Khan looks to be a bit cooler headed, and waited for openings, the first KD this was the case Fagan walked into that shot. Think his power was better, Roach has been trying to get Khan to plant his feet to get more power from his shots. His fast jab will be his key to his success, and i think Roach will work on that and make that jab even faster with more body weight transfer, slimmer arms faster speed. Khan's inside fighting has to improve and the Wild card gym would be a great place to get the sparing.
Darni187 is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #53
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Michael Maguire.
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum