Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-12-2007, 10:34 AM   #1
dave
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Taking a punch

I was sparring and walked into a big right hand, it stunned me and it was well thrown and timed nicley. I felt my head snap back and my neck crack a little, what amazed me was although I wobbled a little I was still able to collect myself and continue...although I was leary of that right and became less carless. The sparring partner was younger quicker and about 20 lbs lighter...plus more skills, my consolation is that i was able to take a big shot like that and still be on my feet and still be aware of my surroundings which gives me confidence as i also landed some good shots of my own afterwards...although i felt that my sparring partner may have held back a little after landing that huge right. My main focus with boxing is the workout and some heated sparring sometimes as i am at an age where a amatuer fight is probably out of the question but I love boxing more than golf and other sports for middle aged guys..am I risking my health or helping it??? I have been doing this for about 2 years and enjoy mixing it up with some of the young ones.
dave is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2007, 11:39 AM   #2
0.5sj719

Default Re: Taking a punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave
I was sparring and walked into a big right hand, it stunned me and it was well thrown and timed nicley. I felt my head snap back and my neck crack a little, what amazed me was although I wobbled a little I was still able to collect myself and continue...although I was leary of that right and became less carless. The sparring partner was younger quicker and about 20 lbs lighter...plus more skills, my consolation is that i was able to take a big shot like that and still be on my feet and still be aware of my surroundings which gives me confidence as i also landed some good shots of my own afterwards...although i felt that my sparring partner may have held back a little after landing that huge right. My main focus with boxing is the workout and some heated sparring sometimes as i am at an age where a amatuer fight is probably out of the question but I love boxing more than golf and other sports for middle aged guys..am I risking my health or helping it??? I have been doing this for about 2 years and enjoy mixing it up with some of the young ones.
I ask myself this question sometimes. Am I risking my health and all that bs. I am, but I love boxing, and I love fighting, and I love knowing that I can possibly **** someone up. Ive been beatdown alot, but I never let it stop me from learning or asking questions. I still suck, but I wont give up and neither should you.
0.5sj719 is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2007, 12:30 AM   #3
average_joe
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Yeah I'm pretty worried about the health question myself. Although it's not about my age. I've heard how the brain gets damaged from getting hit around too much, and I really need it working for me to get me through college and to be successful overall.
average_joe is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
LoBlow
No Title Needed!
ESB Jr Member

Brain damages should always be a concern even from the slightest of punches

we at time practice taking punches with head gears on and very mild hits to the head just to learn how to roll with them etc

Dave I am unaware of your ages but amateur boxing has the masters division if you are older than 35 years old,

it seems like you were what we refer to as being "buzzed" from your partners hit to your head, being buzzed is just a bit before being rocked or stunned, you are able to recover very swiftly from being buzzed

from my own experience of being buzzed I have learned to not attempt to do anything during this short period of time, if you try to take a step you usually do a funny walk for a sec and alert the sparring partner to your state if he is cool he backs off, if he is not he goes in for a kill

the best advice is like I stated do not attempt to do much during that brief moment of "buzzed" what you should do if you have th estate of mind if to go into a tight defensive shell or clinch real quick
LoBlow is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2007, 06:47 PM   #5
younghypnotiq
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i dont carea bout brain damage but can other bd things happen like dieng?
younghypnotiq is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2007, 07:24 PM   #6
LoBlow
No Title Needed!
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by younghypnotiq
Wow! So you don't care or should I say "carea" about brain damage? are you aware of what exactly brain damage is? it's not a scrape on the knee you know!

but your main concern is death? surely you jest?
LoBlow is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 06:32 AM   #7
hazbo
hazbo

fair play with your worries about your health but boxing is mint and if you been doing it for 2 years dave then u should be good enuff to defend your head n tht i know your not as fast as u say u were wen u were younger but u still will have abit of speed so therefore jst tke advantage of wot u have now or it myt be to late if u get me
hazbo is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
Darthmage
SILENCE! I KEEL J00!
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazbo
fair play with your worries about your health but boxing is mint and if you been doing it for 2 years dave then u should be good enuff to defend your head n tht i know your not as fast as u say u were wen u were younger but u still will have abit of speed so therefore jst tke advantage of wot u have now or it myt be to late if u get me
younghyp's alias?
Darthmage is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 11:34 AM   #9
hazbo
hazbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthmage
younghyp's alias?
wots tht suppose to mean? :S
hazbo is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 11:39 AM   #10
magik10

Quote:
i dont carea bout brain damage

lol for obvious reasons, this game me a good laugh.
magik10 is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 05:13 PM   #11
gregsid
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Brain damage only really occurs in Professional fighters and very very few in amateurs. I forget the numbers exactly.
As someone who does only sparring matches you really don't have to worry to much about your health, even at your age.
gregsid is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 06:39 PM   #12
LoBlow
No Title Needed!
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsid
Brain damage only really occurs in Professional fighters and very very few in amateurs.
Yo dog you speaking from fact or your own fore draw conclusion?
LoBlow is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 08:36 PM   #13
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

Quote:
obviously.
amy is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 08:46 PM   #14
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy
obviously.
I don't care about damaing my furniture.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2007, 12:59 PM   #15
gatto
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ
I don't care about damaing my furniture.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
this pictures gonna fck w. my head for a couple of days....thanks
gatto is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing