Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: When was Morales past his prime?
After the Barrera fights 20 33.90%
After the 1st Pacquiao fight 15 25.42%
After the Raheem loss 9 15.25%
After the 2nd Pacquiao fight 13 22.03%
not sure 2 3.39%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
TheSweetScience
Linares the next ATG!!!
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default When was Erik Morales out of his Prime?

This isn't a nuthugging thread or anything. I just know there are many differing opinions on this topic. Wanted to know when you thought Morales was past his prime.
TheSweetScience is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
FINITO
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: When was Erik Morales out of his Prime?

Morales started showing *****s in his armor in the Jesus chavez fight. He was past it after the 3rd barrera fight.
FINITO is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #3
Vitor Belfort
Champion
East Side Guru

After the 3rd pacquaio fight
Vitor Belfort is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
jimmie
Champion
East Side Guru

It probablly came around in 04-05 remember this guy had 4 straight brutal 12 round fights in about 12-14 months or so with Jesus Chavez,Carlos Hernendaz,Marco Antonio Barrera,Manny Pacquiao that will seriously wear a man down especially considering he has always cutting weight to have those fights. Morales had a bit left vs Pac in the 2nd fight but Pac took it all starting in the 6th round. Morales is truely on empty right now IMO even though I do believe he beat David Diaz that just speaks about how low of a level David Diaz is especially when compared to a prime Morales.
jimmie is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
Mike_S
Contender
ESB Senior Member

In the third Barrera fight he didn't seem to have quite as much as he did have in the first. He did look great in the first Pac fight but I went for after the Barrera fights.
Mike_S is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1987

Somewhere around late 2004 to late 2005, around the time of the last Barrera fight, 1st Pacquiao fight and the Raheem fight. I wouldn't be able to pinpoint it exactly, I think the slope probably started pre-Barrera, but I don't want to take anything away from Marco edging the trilogy, and Zahir thoroughly outboxing him in a superb display. He was however way past his prime by the time of the second Pacquiao fight, and pretty much shot for the 3rd fight and Diaz fight.
TommyV is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
Pimp C
Houston VS Everybody
East Side VIP

vCash: 138

After the MAB fights he wasn't the same not shot but faded.
Pimp C is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #8
Little Pea
'A' grade boxing fan
East Side Guru

vCash: 806

Its hapenned when...what any moron here will say.
Little Pea is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2009, 02:57 PM   #9
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I'd say he left his best in the ring when the Barrera trilogy was completed.

The 1st Pac fight made him pretty much shot, the 2nd confirmed it 100%.

Enjoy retirement EM, please don't come back!
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #10
DINAMITA
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

He was probably slight past prime by the third Barrera fight, and effectively shot by the time of the third Pacquiao fight. I've always been of the opinion that 'slightly past prime' is not an excuse for anything. Boxers' physical primes are very short, many of them fight for a long long time at the top level after their physical peaks have passed, and many of them achieve the greatest wins of their careers after their physical peak.

Morales was slightly past-prime for the first Pac fight, but IMO it was the best win and performance of his career.

He was exactly the same man for his second fight with Pac a year later, the Raheem loss can be attributed to Morales never being suited to 135 (like Hatton wasn't for 147 or Whitaker wasn't for 154 or Oscar wasn't for 160) and Raheem being a bad stylistic match and Morales maybe not being as motivated for that relatively small fight after Barrera & Pacquiao.

He fought the same way in the second as he did in the first, but Pac was different in the second, stronger, faster and more determined.

The physical and mental after-effects of being floored for the first times in his career and stopped led to the shell of a man we saw in the third fight.

Last edited by DINAMITA; 01-29-2009 at 06:31 PM.
DINAMITA is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2009, 03:44 PM   #11
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmie View Post
It probablly came around in 04-05 remember this guy had 4 straight brutal 12 round fights in about 12-14 months or so with Jesus Chavez,Carlos Hernendaz,Marco Antonio Barrera,Manny Pacquiao that will seriously wear a man down especially considering he has always cutting weight to have those fights. Morales had a bit left vs Pac in the 2nd fight but Pac took it all starting in the 6th round. Morales is truely on empty right now IMO even though I do believe he beat David Diaz that just speaks about how low of a level David Diaz is especially when compared to a prime Morales.
^^^^^^^^

This post here.

The truth & nothing but.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2009, 03:44 PM   #12
Marnoff
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

By the time the Barerra fights were over, so was his prime.
Marnoff is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #13
Guru_Too_You
ESB OG circa '99
ESB Addict

He was noticeably slower in the 3rd Barrera fight. And Barrera was no spring chicken either.

Anything past that has to be considered Erik on the downward slide.

Every great fighter has one great fight left, and for Morales, that was Pacquiao I.
Guru_Too_You is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #14
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINAMITA View Post
He was exactly the same man for his second fight with Pac a year later

He fought the same way in the second as he did in the first
&

Pac was better sure, no dispute there but erik`s timing was off in his punches, he was just falling short at times without Pac moving or doing anything defensively... his feet looked heavier, less fluid, you could tell it wasnt the same guy that gave his last great effort the previous year. He had slipped.

I know your probably gonna say that Erik fought like a lion & Pac invested in the body & thats why he stopped Erik.... but Morales usually did give his all even in his bad nights & its highly unlikely that Pac`s body shots would have TKOd a fresher Morales tho I admit, without those body shots, Morales probably hears the final bell.

To put it a different way - I think the Pac of the 1st fight beats the Morales of the 2nd fight by close but clear UD.

I think the Morales of the 1st fight & the Pac of the 2nd fight 1000% goes the full 12 rds & its a toss up whoever wins.

Botswana
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2009, 05:33 PM   #15
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP

vCash: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINAMITA View Post
He was probably slight past prime by the third Barrera fight, and effectively shot by the time of the third Pacquiao fight. I've always been of the opinion that 'slightly past prime' is not an excuse for anything. Boxers' physical primes are very short, many of them fight for a long long time at the top level after their physical peaks have passed, and many of them achieve the greatest wins of their careers after their physical peak.

Morales was slightly past-prime for the first Pac fight, but IMO it was the best win and performance of his career.

He was exactly the same man for his second fight with Pac a year later, the Raheem loss can be attributed to Morales never being suited to 135 (like Hatton wasn't for 147 or Whitaker wasn't for 154 or Oscar wasn't for 160) and Raheem being a bad stylistic match and Morales maybe not being as motivated for that relatively small fight after Barrera & Morales.

He fought the same way in the second as he did in the first, but Pac was different in the second, stronger, faster and more determined.

The physical and mental after-effects of being floored for the first times in his career and stopped led to the shell of a man we saw in the third fight.
I agree on your first part, but not the second. He slowed down greatly vs. Raheem and negated his boxing skills, opting to slug with Raheem and even managed to hurt Raheem with right hands especially late in the fight, but it was too late. Stylistically bad fight for Morales. Erik's timing was off, he was significantly slower, reckless, and for some reason would not box as much. By then he already had his wars with Barrera and first fight with Manny, but it was his fight with Raheem his abilities were on the decline.

I think his losses to Manny were both due to Manny's improvements, such as his right hook, and Erik's decline vs. Raheem. He started looking flabby and out of shape since his loss to Raheem as well imo. Just not the same fighter.
elchivito is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum