Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-21-2007, 07:08 AM   #1
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Julio Cesar Chavez vs Greg Haugen

I just recently watched Chavez-Haugen on YouTube, and besides it being a horrible mismatch, and giving Chavez his dues as an avenging tornado against Haugen, I was impressed by Haugen's guts in taking his beating like a man. It was a terrible, sustained beating from a fired up Mexican Great, who took it upon himself to avenge the "taxi cab drivers" taunts of Haugen as well as the honor of the Mexican people, who Haugen said couldnt afford tickets to get in the arena, or something like that. But imagine the hostility of that HUGE, HUGE crowd AND the sadistic, pent-up fury that Chavez unleashed upon Haugen! It reminded me somewhat of the awful, one sided beating that Willie Pastrano endured at the hands of Jose Torres in March of 1965. Those beatings pretty well finished both Pastrano and Haugen, but both men demonstrated a certain, fatalistic courage in not pulling a "Bruce Seldon" (Seldon's disgraceful cowardice against Tyson) and sticking it out like a man in both cases.
red cobra is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2007, 07:18 AM   #2
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Julio Cesar Chavez vs Greg Haugen

Chavez sure took care of business in this one.
Haugen showed courage but nothing else and Chavez could've ended it at anytime he wanted to but wanted to give Haugen a prolonged beating for all his mouthing off pre-fight.
He was some fighter in those days Julio, even though he was a bit past his prime even for this fight.
young griffo is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2007, 07:32 AM   #3
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Haugen was a fine fighter and Chavez made him look utterly ordinary. A great performance against a very decent opponent IMO.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I can remember telling my friends as we were watching this bout over a couple of beers that Haugen was tough, and would go the distance. I certainly called that one wrong.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2007, 11:12 AM   #5
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict

Largest ever paid boxing attendance ain't it?
Jack Dempsey is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2007, 01:24 PM   #6
bumdujour
Contender
ESB Senior Member

but lets not forget that greg haugen was basically done when chavez took him on.
haugen had done NOTHING to deserve that shot.

in fact, in the bout before meeting chavez he got pounded by a mexican journeyman only to get a gift decision.

haugen had no buisness in the ring with chavez.
bumdujour is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2007, 10:54 PM   #7
fatcity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Dempsey
The atendance and a beat down is all I recall from that night.Wasn't the atendance about 50,000 or so?
fatcity is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2007, 11:11 PM   #8
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Dempsey
136,274 I believe.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2007, 01:34 AM   #9
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I read an interview with Haugen, Inwhich he said Don King had alot to do with the inflamatory comments about Mexican's, to get a large interest in the bout. The Hatred for him was so intense, Haugen was a little fearful for his safety going into the fight. Some of the comments Haugen claimed he didn't even make. It was all King.
la-califa is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2007, 05:19 AM   #10
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumdujour
but lets not forget that greg haugen was basically done when chavez took him on.
haugen had done NOTHING to deserve that shot.

in fact, in the bout before meeting chavez he got pounded by a mexican journeyman only to get a gift decision.

haugen had no buisness in the ring with chavez.
Thats not true. Haugen gave Camacho two very close fights just two years earlier, a close win for Haugen and then a close loss in a rematch.
After the Camacho fights he KO'd a comebacking Ray Mancini and had a couple of other easy victories.

The fight you talk about before Chavez was an over the weight match for Haugen in which he did look sluggish, as he had no business weighing in as a full fledged Welter.
......but there is no question Haugen deserved to win that fight, and he did by wide scores.
My point is that the Chavez fight for Haugen was deserved......and most ring scribes including Ring magazine thought Haugen would give Chavez a tough go enroute to a decision loss.
.....Lo and behold, Haugen got under Chavez' skin, and he payed for it dearly. In a fight that Chavez could have ended anytime he wished, he prolonged the beating, and held back just enough to severely castigate and embarrass poor Greg.

To be honest, I felt kind of bad for Greg, as I had become a fan of his for him whooping big mouth Vinny Pazienza.

.....but Haugen brought a smile to my face in the postfight ring interview when Chavez asked him do you still think I've beaten up on taxicab drivers?.......upon which Haugen responded, "They must have been tough taxicab drivers!"

......in the face of getting totally owned and humiliated, Greg still had a sense of humor about it!
divac is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2007, 05:25 AM   #11
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by la-califa
I read an interview with Haugen, Inwhich he said Don King had alot to do with the inflamatory comments about Mexican's, to get a large interest in the bout. The Hatred for him was so intense, Haugen was a little fearful for his safety going into the fight. Some of the comments Haugen claimed he didn't even make. It was all King.
Promoters always encourage a little controversy, but I dont think King is solely to blame, Haugen was always a talker who loved to verbally spar with his oppositon in the hype leading to the fight, he did so beautifully for his fights with Pazienza and Camacho before he did it with Chavez.
Haugen was a counterpuncher, so It was just in Haugen's nature to try and get under a fighters skin and get them angry and overly aggresive to give him the opportunity to be able to counter.
Against Chavez, he just picked on the wrong fighter.
divac is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2007, 06:59 AM   #12
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by divac
Thats not true. Haugen gave Camacho two very close fights just two years earlier, a close win for Haugen and then a close loss in a rematch.
After the Camacho fights he KO'd a comebacking Ray Mancini and had a couple of other easy victories.

The fight you talk about before Chavez was an over the weight match for Haugen in which he did look sluggish, as he had no business weighing in as a full fledged Welter.
......but there is no question Haugen deserved to win that fight, and he did by wide scores.
My point is that the Chavez fight for Haugen was deserved......and most ring scribes including Ring magazine thought Haugen would give Chavez a tough go enroute to a decision loss.
.....Lo and behold, Haugen got under Chavez' skin, and he payed for it dearly. In a fight that Chavez could have ended anytime he wished, he prolonged the beating, and held back just enough to severely castigate and embarrass poor Greg.

To be honest, I felt kind of bad for Greg, as I had become a fan of his for him whooping big mouth Vinny Pazienza.

.....but Haugen brought a smile to my face in the postfight ring interview when Chavez asked him do you still think I've beaten up on taxicab drivers?.......upon which Haugen responded, "They must have been tough taxicab drivers!"

......in the face of getting totally owned and humiliated, Greg still had a sense of humor about it!
Yeah, good points. I didn't think Haugen was over the hill, personally.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum