Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-23-2007, 01:25 PM   #1
MrSmall
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Default Olympic Qualifying process

When does it start relative to the games (2012), how does it work, etc.

ANY INFO WOULD BE HELPFUL!
A-thankyou.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2007, 03:23 PM   #2
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Olympic Qualifying process

Depends on the country and continent. First you have to qualify for a national team, then qualify at one of the three international qualifying events.
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2007, 04:09 PM   #3
doublesuited
Taylor TKO2 Pavlik
ESB Senior Member

Danny Jacobs is trying to qualify for the Olympics. I dropped his ass in sparring back in the day...
doublesuited is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Danny Jacobs lost to Shawn Estrada last night I think.
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2007, 06:20 PM   #5
1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublesuited
Danny Jacobs is trying to qualify for the Olympics. I dropped his ass in sparring back in the day...
That's something to brag about for sure. When was that and at what gym did you guys spar at? I met him once at a USA vs Mexico in SF California and he's a solid guy and had a war that night with a Mexican fighter who threw body shots like he was a pro.
Out of all the top amateurs I like his style the best for the pro game. I know he's won the national GG's at least once maybe twice and thats not easy to do. The only thing I think he needs to fix before turning pro is he likes to trade way too much, he's got too good of skills to get caught up in wars all the time.
1-2 is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2007, 06:54 PM   #6
doublesuited
Taylor TKO2 Pavlik
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-2
That's something to brag about for sure. When was that and at what gym did you guys spar at? I met him once at a USA vs Mexico in SF California and he's a solid guy and had a war that night with a Mexican fighter who threw body shots like he was a pro.
Out of all the top amateurs I like his style the best for the pro game. I know he's won the national GG's at least once maybe twice and thats not easy to do. The only thing I think he needs to fix before turning pro is he likes to trade way too much, he's got too good of skills to get caught up in wars all the time.
Ah, it was a clear summer night in 2002. I had heard rumors of an up-and-coming Brooklyn fighter who was going to work out in Bed Stuy for a while.

Long story short, we got 3 rounds in. He was pretty inexperienced back then compared with now, but you could tell he has the athleticism and talent to become a great fighter. Unfortunately, due to some legal problems, I never had a chance to compete in the NYC Golden Gloves.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:59 PM   #7
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-2
You should have seen him fight with Shawn Porter at Nationals this year. Talk about trading too much...wild as all get out. I'm pretty shocked he lost to Estrada; it was extremely close and his people filed a grievance.
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2007, 07:32 PM   #8
doublesuited
Taylor TKO2 Pavlik
ESB Senior Member

So Danny can't make the Olympic team now?
Old 08-25-2007, 07:42 PM   #9
1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya
You should have seen him fight with Shawn Porter at Nationals this year. Talk about trading too much...wild as all get out. I'm pretty shocked he lost to Estrada; it was extremely close and his people filed a grievance.
I've seen both Porter and Estrada fight before and Porter is more of a stand and trade type of fighter so it's no surprise that they went toe to toe. Estrada I see is listed from Cali but if it's the same guy I'm thinking of he's from the New England area a pure amateur fighter who has alot of intl fights and would probably do better in the Oly's than Jacobs just cause of style. I still like Jacobs as a pro better than Porter or Estrada. We'll see
1-2 is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2007, 09:40 PM   #10
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

No, Danny is fighting Estrada tonight in the finals. Should he win tonight; he will have to beat him again tomorrow to win an Olympic Team birth. The Trials are a double elimination tournament. All Estrada has to do is win tonight and he's on the team. Jacobs defeated Shawn Porter last night, here's video. Jacobs is red, Porter is blue.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

And 1-2, the guy you're thinking of is probably Edwin Rodriguez, from the Dominican Republic. He isn't at the Trials, he didn't qualify as he lost to Dominic Wade at Nationals this year.
Kolya is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing