Old 02-24-2009, 07:32 AM   #46
pecks
East Side Guru

vCash: 1908
Default Re: Where did it all go wrong for "The Man"

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellmyfinger View Post
Totally disagree.

I cant see how that could be where it went wrong, when he reached greater heights later in his career.

After Siaca, Mundine realised he was fighting a terrible style that doesnt last at the top. He went away and worked on fighting at a closer distance, and using more sideways movement rather than just running.

He reached his peak around Kessler, Green and Soliman 2.

His decision to not step up again at this time is where he went wrong. Yeh, u might argue that decision comes back to the Ottke loss, but i cant see that at all. I believe the Ottke loss has no effect on his current psych. He's fought better fighters than Ottke since and those better fighters were even bigger punchers.

At the time he lost to Kessler, he and everybody else realised just how good he could be if he moved forward from that fight similar to how he did after Siaca. Sadly, he only moved forward a little, and his lack of continual high class opponants saw him lose whatever he did gain from the Kessler fight, leaving him where he is now, in no mans land.

I believe Mundine has lost all faith in his ability, and believes he's missed his chance.

It wasnt Ottke, it was Mundine's inability to seize the moment when it presented itself.
He did reach greater heights after the Ottke fight, but I believe he was still haunted by that KO.
Although he won the Echolls fight, it was a pretty poor advertisement for boxing that night. All he did was run, hold, and jab, and had the ref been a bit mopre ballsier, he might not have got away with a lot of what he did.
The
Siaca fight was just plain awful. Stipe Drews effort against Green is the only one I've seen worse than it.

I still maintain that the Ottke fight, and his unwillinbgness to step it up and actually learn more is where it went wrong for him.
Funnily enough, from what I've seen lately, he doesn't seem that afraid to get hit these days.
He's done now anyway. His power is gone, which is what would have made him somewhat lethal at middleweight if he could have maintained it. His purple patch was lost on guys like Ecousta, Hamden, and other future Zelenoff opponents.

I disagree with Ottke being the weakest champ though. He was certainly rated better than Mitchell, and Beyer. At the time, many rated him the man at 168 (though only because he had been champ the longest), and Calzaghe was itching to go at him. A Calzaghe/Ottke fight would have been the best 2 champs in the division, but Ottke wanted none of it. Smart guy.
pecks is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2009, 11:39 AM   #47
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecks View Post
You know that Nader Hamden actually was a cab driver?!
Well i did't actually , well maybe if he fought AA as well as Pavlik it eventhings out ( ish ) .

Originally Posted by IrnBruMan [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Where? Arena Westfalenhalle, Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany.

When? 01/12/2001

Who? Sven Ottke

Up until that point Mundine was an over-confident, ****y, arrogant, outspoken dick. He had gotten away with years of being a ****y cunt in the 13-a-side game, because of his skills, and because he had 12 teammates out on the field to hide behind. When someone finally shut him up at training, he decided footy wasn't for him and switched to boxing.

He managed to put the humiliating decking at training behind him in his new sport, and started to build up his ****iness again, fighting retirees, nobodies and bums, until the day once again arrived where his confidence soared sky high and he felt ready for a world title shot against the weakest SMW world champ with the lowest knock out percentage. His confidence even allowed him to state that his upcoming opponent 'hit like a girl.'

Ottke struck the fear of God, or Allah, or the Rainbow Serpent, or whatever he ****ing believes in, in him that night and knocked him the **** out with an innocuous temple shot. Even Mundine's personal nutsack cleaner Barry Michaels, can be heard on the commentary, confusion mixed with his disappointment, saying "Unusual for a temple shot to knock you out".

After that night, Mundine became an under-confident, nervous, obnoxious, loudmouthed prick, and his fans did their level best to make every excuse under the sun for Mundine's loss - he had the flu, he had no sparring before the fight, a ping pong ball can knock you out if it hits you in the right place, he was winning the fight until Ottke's lucky shot, etc. They hoped to erase that most embarrassing incident from Mundine's career - many of them were banned from BOXREC for trying to edit Mundine's record page by removing the Ottke fight from all existence...one particularly avid Mundine fan, located in Canberra, wasn't seen for weeks, until he emerged from the darkness one day, blinking in the sunlight, muttering something about a DeLorean motor car, a flux capacitor, and one point twenty one jigawatts.

But alas, no amount of around-the-clock nuthugging could undo what had been done...no matter how hard the fans tried, they couldn't make Mundine himself forget that humiliating night.

That's what happened to 'The Man'

Now thats just plain some of the most hilerious shit ive ever read on the net mate . LMFAO @ That

Sally , Sorry mate i was bored lol ....Still the counter is approching 50 posts so i cant complain .
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2009, 12:25 PM   #48
THN
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 908

Nothing went wrong for the man, he used hes mouth and earned millions of dollars, it only went wrong for the fans who acatually belived in what he said!
THN is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2009, 12:36 PM   #49
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by THN View Post
Nothing went wrong for the man, he used hes mouth and earned millions of dollars, it only went wrong for the fans who acatually belived in what he said!
Another good post , BTW Whats happening with Kessler ? IS he fighting Mads or what ?
Old 02-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #50
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1325

Quote:
He did reach greater heights after the Ottke fight, but I believe he was still haunted by that KO.
Although he won the Echolls fight, it was a pretty poor advertisement for boxing that night. All he did was run, hold, and jab, and had the ref been a bit mopre ballsier, he might not have got away with a lot of what he did.
The
Siaca fight was just plain awful. Stipe Drews effort against Green is the only one I've seen worse than it.

I still maintain that the Ottke fight, and his unwillinbgness to step it up and actually learn more is where it went wrong for him.
Funnily enough, from what I've seen lately, he doesn't seem that afraid to get hit these days.
He's done now anyway. His power is gone, which is what would have made him somewhat lethal at middleweight if he could have maintained it. His purple patch was lost on guys like Ecousta, Hamden, and other future Zelenoff opponents.

I disagree with Ottke being the weakest champ though. He was certainly rated better than Mitchell, and Beyer. At the time, many rated him the man at 168 (though only because he had been champ the longest), and Calzaghe was itching to go at him. A Calzaghe/Ottke fight would have been the best 2 champs in the division, but Ottke wanted none of it. Smart guy.
Beyer had 10 KOs on his record by 2001, Mitchell had 17.

Calzaghe had 27

Ottke had 3.

I think people were itching to fight him because they knew he was there for the taking but for the German officials always scoring in his favour, not because he was recognised as the man at SMW at the time.

I think Mundine went into the fight too ****y because he believed Ottke was an easy beat, and he ended up getting flattened. Too much pride before a BIG fall is what ****ed Mundine up
IrnBruMan is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2009, 04:50 PM   #51
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1325

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSEY WALES View Post
Well i did't actually , well maybe if he fought AA as well as Pavlik it eventhings out ( ish ) .

Originally Posted by IrnBruMan [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Where? Arena Westfalenhalle, Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany.

When? 01/12/2001

Who? Sven Ottke

Up until that point Mundine was an over-confident, ****y, arrogant, outspoken dick. He had gotten away with years of being a ****y cunt in the 13-a-side game, because of his skills, and because he had 12 teammates out on the field to hide behind. When someone finally shut him up at training, he decided footy wasn't for him and switched to boxing.

He managed to put the humiliating decking at training behind him in his new sport, and started to build up his ****iness again, fighting retirees, nobodies and bums, until the day once again arrived where his confidence soared sky high and he felt ready for a world title shot against the weakest SMW world champ with the lowest knock out percentage. His confidence even allowed him to state that his upcoming opponent 'hit like a girl.'

Ottke struck the fear of God, or Allah, or the Rainbow Serpent, or whatever he ****ing believes in, in him that night and knocked him the **** out with an innocuous temple shot. Even Mundine's personal nutsack cleaner Barry Michaels, can be heard on the commentary, confusion mixed with his disappointment, saying "Unusual for a temple shot to knock you out".

After that night, Mundine became an under-confident, nervous, obnoxious, loudmouthed prick, and his fans did their level best to make every excuse under the sun for Mundine's loss - he had the flu, he had no sparring before the fight, a ping pong ball can knock you out if it hits you in the right place, he was winning the fight until Ottke's lucky shot, etc. They hoped to erase that most embarrassing incident from Mundine's career - many of them were banned from BOXREC for trying to edit Mundine's record page by removing the Ottke fight from all existence...one particularly avid Mundine fan, located in Canberra, wasn't seen for weeks, until he emerged from the darkness one day, blinking in the sunlight, muttering something about a DeLorean motor car, a flux capacitor, and one point twenty one jigawatts.

But alas, no amount of around-the-clock nuthugging could undo what had been done...no matter how hard the fans tried, they couldn't make Mundine himself forget that humiliating night.

That's what happened to 'The Man'

Now thats just plain some of the most hilerious shit ive ever read on the net mate . LMFAO @ That

Sally , Sorry mate i was bored lol ....Still the counter is approching 50 posts so i cant complain .
I knew you'd like that Josey
IrnBruMan is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #52
Rodin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

What about a Mundine thread. I'm sure someone will show an interest.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Rodin is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2009, 08:26 PM   #53
pecks
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrnBruMan View Post
Beyer had 10 KOs on his record by 2001, Mitchell had 17.

Calzaghe had 27

Ottke had 3.

I think people were itching to fight him because they knew he was there for the taking but for the German officials always scoring in his favour, not because he was recognised as the man at SMW at the time.

I think Mundine went into the fight too ****y because he believed Ottke was an easy beat, and he ended up getting flattened. Too much pride before a BIG fall is what ****ed Mundine up
I never said he was a renowned KO artist. I just said that he definitely wasn't the weakest SMW in the division. He was the champ most people wanted to take out the most, and IMO, was 2nd best only to Calzaghe.
pecks is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2009, 08:47 PM   #54
smallsteps
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

The answer to Where did it all go wrong for "The Man" might be when he picked opponents like Lester Ellis,Crazy Kim and shannon Taylor.Mundine made heaps of money and that is what being a pro boxer is mainly about.Mundine has crossed the line and will be veiwed by a lot of people as someone wasted his vast skill and determination as a fighter and is now seen as a fighter/circus act.
smallsteps is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2009, 11:46 PM   #55
konaman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

21/05/1975
konaman is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2009, 12:35 AM   #56
TheDuke
Let me marry Boxed Ears

vCash: 75

21/08/1974
TheDuke is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2009, 02:19 AM   #57
THN
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 908

Quote:
Another good post , BTW Whats happening with Kessler ? IS he fighting Mads or what ?
I have no idea, I think he's buzzy getting a new manager, but no news from Denmark, shit!!!!!
THN is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2009, 03:03 AM   #58
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by THN View Post
I have no idea, I think he's buzzy getting a new manager, but no news from Denmark, shit!!!!!
Larsen's career took a nose dive when he got into conflict with Mogan's Palle apparently and the fella didn't fight for years after , lets hope Kessler ain't walking the same road as Mad's , inactivity is a killer when your a player @ the highest level in this sport . Kessler needs to sort his shit out mate ..............RAPID
Old 02-25-2009, 03:09 AM   #59
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I never said he was a renowned KO artist. I just said that he definitely wasn't the weakest SMW in the division. He was the champ most people wanted to take out the most, and IMO, was 2nd best only to Calzaghe.
Peck , although Ottke was a tad under rated , a decent shout could be made that a few blokes were better than him at the time , IF he had fought outside "Da Fatherland " that is .
Old 02-25-2009, 09:58 AM   #60
pecks
East Side Guru

Quote:
Peck , although Ottke was a tad under rated , a decent shout could be made that a few blokes were better than him at the time , IF he had fought outside "Da Fatherland " that is .
Totally agree, and I didn't mean to imply that he was the reigning king of the division or anything. But, he was considered better than Mitchell, and Beyer, and at the time, many considered him the division champion ahead of Calzaghe, though mainly because he had been champ longer I think.
Calzaghe knew this, and tried his best to get him to fight him, but Ottke wanted no part of it obviously.
Both Ottke and Beyer were almost perfectly managed by Saurland (sp). He pretty much squeezed every bit of success he could out of both of them, and left nothing over.
We know that Mundine is pretty cautious and selective now, but at the time, he was simply going to jump into boxing, and beat the champion as soon as he could get a crack at him.
pecks is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum