Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 02-26-2009, 11:00 AM   #46
Kid Cubano
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Future of Cuba in the Pros, by Weightclasses. (List Inside) ***UPDATED***

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycuban View Post
yeah men you can now add cubans into the mexican, puerto rico battle -lol
the difference with mexicans is that cubans look strong from bantmaweight to heavyweight..mexicans always rule at small divisions but usually dont see a good one after 147...its a genetic things and doesnt involve any disrespect...some good battles to come against mexicans and boricuas...i see a Lara-Angulo fight for a title in 2 yrs.Also would be good a Rigondaux JM lopez.Gamboa-Larios.Its so much talent around with Vazquez,Marquez,Cotto,Margarito.
Kid Cubano is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #47
Kid Cuba
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1218
Default Re: The Future of Cuba in the Pros, by Weightclasses. (List Inside) ***UPDATED***

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBone View Post
Some very strange names they sometimes have.
Thats because back in the 70's most Cubans started naming their kids with Russian names or Cuban takes on Russian names, you hardly see Jose, Miguel, Antonio or any other names like these.
Kid Cuba is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2009, 06:39 AM   #48
jaycuban
Cubans Do It Better !
ESB Addict

April 17, the sensational Cuban Yuriorkis Gamboa will fight on Showtime.
jaycuban is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2009, 07:53 AM   #49
dangerousity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 105
Default Re: The Future of Cuba in the Pros, by Weightclasses. (List inside)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycuban View Post

you have to understand that if you are a fan of this guys in Cuba before they even got to fight worldwide and be seen, when they do you are really happy and always wonder "what if they fought in the pros... how would they do?" and so I've been asking myself that question for the last 10 years... and now its the only time were il get to see them in the pros.
I feel your frustration mate, happy for you your guys can finally show what their made of in the pro's. Hope its not too late for the older fighters.
dangerousity is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2009, 08:55 AM   #50
Dustaine
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 733

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cuba View Post
Thats because back in the 70's most Cubans started naming their kids with Russian names or Cuban takes on Russian names, you hardly see Jose, Miguel, Antonio or any other names like these.
Mostly in the 80's than in the 70's. I'm glad I didn't get one of those weird names. I don't recall anyone from my generation (1974) with a strange name. If you check the Cuban baseball team, things get worse.
Dustaine is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2009, 09:12 AM   #51
Kid Cubano
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustaine View Post
Mostly in the 80's than in the 70's. I'm glad I didn't get one of those weird names. I don't recall anyone from my generation (1974) with a strange name. If you check the Cuban baseball team, things get worse.
thats right,u see real weird names there.
i know somebody named Yesdasi(wich means yes in english-russian and spanish),and u should be aware of the generation Y...all those yordanis,yuriorkis,yarisleidy etc...
but as long as they can box and hit the ball they should be safe
Kid Cubano is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2009, 09:16 AM   #52
Dustaine
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 733
Default Re: The Future of CUBA in the Pros, by Weightclasses. (List Inside) ***UPDATED***

What about Yusimi (You see me)?? I know some girls with such a name.
Dustaine is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2009, 10:13 AM   #53
jaycuban
Cubans Do It Better !
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustaine View Post
yeah its true about the 80's generation, I was born in that time but I got "Jorge", but people in cuba at that time got some sort of fascination with the letter "Y" and every kid was being name something like Yunier, Yankiel, Yaneski, Yanaisy, Yankiel, hahah its funny.
jaycuban is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #54
Kid Cuba
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1218
Default Re: The Future of CUBA in the Pros, by Weightclasses. (List Inside) ***UPDATED***

I got Jose so I lucked out...
Kid Cuba is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #55
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 79

Jay, big time props for posting that list. It makes it alot easier to follow 'em when all the names are compiled in one spot like this.
Rock0052 is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2009, 01:08 PM   #56
jaycuban
Cubans Do It Better !
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock0052 View Post
Jay, big time props for posting that list. It makes it alot easier to follow 'em when all the names are compiled in one spot like this.
thanks bro, il try to keep it as updated and accurate as possible.
jaycuban is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2009, 01:25 PM   #57
Grievesy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 309

It's good to see these amazing talents displayed on a world stage more often than just the olympics.

Personally my fave at the moment is Erislandy Lara. He looks to have some great talent.

Also I've heard alot about Rigondeaux. Can't wait to see him in action.
Grievesy is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2009, 07:58 AM   #58
jaycuban
Cubans Do It Better !
ESB Addict

Cubans strut their stuff in Newcastle

The first Cuban into the ring tonight, dwarfed by trainer McCrory, was bantamweight Alexei Acosta, who, in turn, towered over his opponent Fihret Remziev. Unfortunately, the bout was over almost before it had started as Acosta dropped his adversary with what looked like his first body punch. Remziev rose before the count of ten but was unable to continue and the fight was called off after 36 seconds, leaving little opportunity for Acosta to showcase himself tonight.
jaycuban is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2009, 08:02 AM   #59
jaycuban
Cubans Do It Better !
ESB Addict

The last and highly anticipated fight of the night was the heavyweight contest (8 X 3) between Mike Perez & Zack 'Attack' Page. This promised to be an exciting encounter with the Cuban fighter, Perez, sporting a record of 7 fights, 7 wins with 6 being by KO.

Both fighters looked in great shape coming to the ring, Perez in particular with a build that reminded me of an early Mike Tyson. The American fighter, Page, with over 40 fights to his name looked as relaxed during the introductions as he had earlier in the evening when, during an interval, he'd entertained some of the crowd with his dance moves. However, as soon as the fight started Page looked anything but relaxed as, I sensed that, he very quickly became aware of the power of Perez.

Perez, fighting out of his Southpaw stance, stalked his opponent for the full 8 rounds without much success, continually pawing with his right hand but only using it as a measure for throwing a powerful left handed shot. Page, doing exactly the opposite of his ring alias, backtracked for most of his evening's work without throwing much of any consequence, happy to tie up Perez whenever they got close. Perez persevered with the same tactics and this pattern was the seam that ran through the whole of the fight. Glimpsing at the corner team of Perez during the bout I sensed frustration, at times, with their fighter who perhaps would have been wiser to have varied his approach work.

Although a clear points winner, ultimately, I thought that Perez looked a little one dimensional tonight, sensing that he seemed to be relying on his power too much to finish the contest against an opponent with enough ring knowledge to stay out of real trouble.

It's very early days in the paid ranks for Perez and, no doubt, he'll face many more cagey fighters like Zack 'attack' Page in the future. I'm sure, however, that these will prove to be more fruitful nights after more guidance from, and time spent, with trainer McCrory.
jaycuban is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2009, 08:05 AM   #60
jaycuban
Cubans Do It Better !
ESB Addict

For me, the pick of the three Cuban boxers, and the best boxer on display during the evening's boxing was the super-middleweight (W3 all by KO). Garcia, a former world amateur champion, looked simply tremendous tonight. Garcia's opponent was the Nigerian Michael Gbenga (W 5, L 4) and both fighters entered the ring looking in fantastic shape for this eight round contest.

As soon as the fight started the pattern was set for the full 8 rounds that were eventually completed. Garcia moved in and out of range beautifully and threw and connected with, I'm sure, every shot in the book over the distance of the fight.

Like so many African fighters I've seen over the years, Gbenga was brave and game, and didn't stop trying all night, continually throwing out his jab and trying to connect with his right hand. However, Garcia was a class above and really did remind me of a matador at times with Gbenga lunging forward on a couple of occasions only to stumble into the ropes as Garcia side-stepped deftly while landing shots of his own.

Garcia did hold his left hand low at times and Gbenga did manage to catch him with right hands on a couple of occasions over the 8 rounds but this was Gbenga's only real success, although this might be a warning for Garcia in future fights.

Garcia's quick hands and combinations to head and body were just too much for Gbenga whose nose was bloodied by a heavy right hand shot in round 4 and who looked sorry for himself as he went back to his corner at the end of the round. Gbenga's nose continued to pour blood for the rest of the fight and it became painful to watch as Garcia continued to connect with combination shots. Personally, I think there was a case for stopping the fight early and I got the impression that if Garcia had wanted to he could have forced the stoppage but seemed content with the status quo.

At the end, the fight was scored 80-72 in favour of Garcia, who is definitely in this writer's opinion, a fighter to keep your eye on.
jaycuban is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum