Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-23-2007, 07:14 AM   #16
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202
Default Re: how do u improve your right hook?

On the outside I agree with the rest of the people, it's dangerous. At least if you throw it out of nowhere. But on the inside? I don't see any reason not to throw it. Same goes for the left uppercut.
RDJ is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2007, 04:41 PM   #17
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ
On the outside I agree with the rest of the people, it's dangerous. At least if you throw it out of nowhere. But on the inside? I don't see any reason not to throw it. Same goes for the left uppercut.
cool now im gettin you i was getting a bit paranoid that there was no such thing called a right hook just somthing i made up...stone anyone
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2007, 09:14 PM   #18
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Holmes seemed to land with the right hook. He through it a lot, and most of the time it was a lot like a left hook. I'll put up a good pic of him landing one on Holyfield in 1992.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2007, 01:13 AM   #19
Peterp
Contender
ESB Senior Member

You can use right hooks but you have to set your opponent up first !

No leading with a right hook

It's one of my best punches, i've KOed people with it in the ring and on the street
Peterp is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2007, 03:14 PM   #20
BITCH ASS
"Too Fast"
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbible
It's a good bet that you'll get smoked one day when you try it against someone good.
Oh yeah?

Just because you're slow doesn't mean that everybody else is.

Regardless of your speed though, the right hook to the body is often an effective weapon in getting inside on taller people. Especially if they're standing orthadox and you're coming in on their left side.

Every once in a while you need to switch it up. I know the jab is extremelly versatile and you can change the speed and number, sometimes I like to go inside using other methods.

By the way, how the **** you know who I've sparred with and how skilled they are?

Also, think about when you get inside. It's not just all right straights. It's okay to gamble sometimes and throw that right hook.

It stops people. Why not use it?
BITCH ASS is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2007, 03:15 PM   #21
BITCH ASS
"Too Fast"
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterp
You can use right hooks but you have to set your opponent up first !

No leading with a right hook

It's one of my best punches, i've KOed people with it in the ring and on the street
Exactly.
BITCH ASS is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 12:33 AM   #22
boxbible
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capfunds
Oh yeah?

Just because you're slow doesn't mean that everybody else is.

Regardless of your speed though, the right hook to the body is often an effective weapon in getting inside on taller people. Especially if they're standing orthadox and you're coming in on their left side.

Every once in a while you need to switch it up. I know the jab is extremelly versatile and you can change the speed and number, sometimes I like to go inside using other methods.

By the way, how the **** you know who I've sparred with and how skilled they are?

Also, think about when you get inside. It's not just all right straights. It's okay to gamble sometimes and throw that right hook.

It stops people. Why not use it?
If any of my fighters fought an orthodox fighter who threw right hooks, he'd have a field day.

It's like lead left hooks. They work great against some decent fighters, but try it against a real good fighter, you're dust...

It is s-o-o-o-o easy to roll and counter it
boxbible is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 02:21 AM   #23
Pugsley
Fat Bastard
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbible
If any of my fighters fought an orthodox fighter who threw right hooks, he'd have a field day.

It's like lead left hooks. They work great against some decent fighters, but try it against a real good fighter, you're dust...

It is s-o-o-o-o easy to roll and counter it
Can you clarify? A right hook is no good, a Lead Left isn't reliable. Correct me if I'm wrong, are you saying that it is better to stay away from using hooks altogether? Or would you advise combinations to set them up?
Pugsley is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 09:13 AM   #24
boxbible
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley
Can you clarify? A right hook is no good, a Lead Left isn't reliable. Correct me if I'm wrong, are you saying that it is better to stay away from using hooks altogether? Or would you advise combinations to set them up?
A hook off the jab is fine... or a hook off of a feint jab. It might look like a lead left hook to the untrained eye, but if there's a feint before it, then it's safer. But, in order for the feint to work, you have to hit the guy with the shot first, in this case the jab, so as to make him react to it the next time when you feint it and then pull the hook.

As for the right hook from an orthodox stance, it is simply a very high-risk punch to throw. Sure, guys who can't slip right hands will get caught by the power and it sure looks and feels great, but if you can hit a guy with a right hook, then surely you can nail him with a straight right. But, of course, it takes more effort and skill to throw a short, straight right correctly.

But a straight right will minimize the risk of getting timed and countered silly because it is shorter, faster and therefore a lot harder for the opponent to time.

And if you learn how to throw it properly by stepping into distance and then just pivoting the back foot to roll your whole body effortlessly into it and then "sitting" on the punch at the moment of impact, you are whole lot less likely to lose balance if you miss, let alone miss the target at all. And it takes a lot less energy to throw it. A right hook takes a bunch of power to let go.

Larry Holmes never knocked anybody out with it. Lennox Lewis got knocked out trying to throw it. George Foreman gassed himself out wailing away with it.

It's simply not an efficient punch. And can be costly.
boxbible is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 10:09 AM   #25
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

Watch Joe Calzaghe's flawless employment of the left hook from a southpaw stance.

How he sets it up, how and when he throws it. It is flawless.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 01:27 PM   #26
Butch Coolidge
Belt holder
ESB Addict

MOVE YOUR HEAD FIRST BEFORE YOU PUNCH. Don't drop your right hand before you punch.

TIMING is important.

Start with your head completely outside to the opponent's left and finish with the your head completely outside to your opponent's right. No sense in just keeping your head in his punching range.

Do it this way chances are slim you'll get countered with a left hook or an uppercut. If the opponent is a very good boxer he's going to move with you so you better put your right shoulder into his belly and smother his punching room.

When you don't throw right hooks correctly is when you get into trouble.
Butch Coolidge is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 04:34 PM   #27
Zhaakal
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1285

Quote:
Beat off with that hand.
I second that.
Zhaakal is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing