Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-16-2009, 01:00 PM   #31
Rakim
Captain ****wit

vCash: 6000
Default Re: High Reps with Very Heavy weights, Intresting Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
You can't do high reps with high weights, because if you can the weight isn't really high

This honestly reminds me of a tosspot down the gym called Mr.Excuses. I was struggling with 3 sets of 9 on bench press with 65kg and he strolled over, looked at me in disgust and said, 'If you wanna get anywhere with that 9 rep stuff, you need to be doing it with at least 85-90kg mate'.
Rakim is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2009, 08:17 PM   #32
Marvelous Marcum
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
If your a BB cables are better as the work the length and thickness of the muscle better aswell as your peak. Either way Curls are NOT useless. There good for for getting the arms warm if your working out light and getting loose. Heavy curls though can be a bit counter-productive as you loose form and then start using other muscle groups as stabilizers.

Lol I know this, I was looking for an argument as to why they are.
Marvelous Marcum is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2009, 08:18 PM   #33
Marvelous Marcum
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxingtactics07 View Post
Marcum: I will use bicep curls vs chinups as an example:

Bicep curls will target the biceps and isolate them. The forearms/traps/shoulders will only become stabilizers through the pulling motion (they aren't indirectly hit enough for strength gain, and thus those muscles don't reap the benefits of the exercise).

Chinups on the other hand will literally hit EVERY part of the upper body and believe it or not the pushing muscles (chest/shoulder/triceps) will get a workout from it as well (although the benefits will be the general back/lats/traps/forearms/biceps pulling muscles as opposed to just the biceps with curls)

The same case could be made for leg extension v.s. squat:.

The squat will literally target the entire lower body with the abs/lower back getting indirectly hit ENOUGH to gain strength in those areas.

The leg extension will hit the quads and the only exercise to stabilize it is what? The shoulder.

That means with two exercise you can hit the entire lower body and backside. Throw in pushups and you have a complete full body workout with only 3 exercises and not 50 random bodybuilding ones. The case against bicep curls is that you can always be doing something better than them. You would have been better off doing 10X3 chinups at 80% your 1RM than 3X10 chinups at 70% your 1RM and 3X10 bicep curls at 70% your 1RM. I'm not even a big weightlifter, but when I do it, I'm going to do it right. I'm a big believer in cross training though, which is why I incorporate them in when I can.

That explained everything, never mind.
Marvelous Marcum is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing