Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-27-2007, 06:35 AM   #16
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210
Default Re: Curry's amateur record...

1) The loss is present in lists compiled by IBRO's director and by Mike DeLisa, who have done separate researches of the same subject.
2) I doubt Bob Mee (British historian) gives a list of amateur fights of Robinson with dates, results, locations, weights.
3) Do you have the book and can look up the bibliography list, if it contains New York newspapers?
Senya13 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2007, 07:32 AM   #17
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13
1) The loss is present in lists compiled by IBRO's director and by Mike DeLisa, who have done separate researches of the same subject.
2) I doubt Bob Mee (British historian) gives a list of amateur fights of Robinson with dates, results, locations, weights.
3) Do you have the book and can look up the bibliography list, if it contains New York newspapers?
2) Yes you are correct the list is not in the book I am looking at

3) Lords of the Ring (Page 57) is one of the books with the 85-0 claim.

I am always open to Robinson losing amateur bouts, but there is no definitive evidence I have seen to suggest Ray Robinson who was Walker Smith Jr did lose, but it maybe there, the problem is you need the a picture of Smith (Robinson) losing and the result...
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 07:45 AM   #18
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He borrowed his friend's name when he was 14 (that is 1935 to early 1936), he was 16 years old when this fight happened, he was already known as Ray Robinson. What is the possiblity that there was a fighter with the same first and last names in the same area and near or at the same weight division where he fought (he fought Willie Pep the same year, who officially fought as a flyweight in 1938, they must have met at a catchweight).
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 08:13 AM   #19
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13
He borrowed his friend's name when he was 14 (that is 1935 to early 1936), he was 16 years old when this fight happened, he was already known as Ray Robinson. What is the possiblity that there was a fighter with the same first and last names in the same area and near or at the same weight division where he fought (he fought Willie Pep the same year, who officially fought as a flyweight in 1938, they must have met at a catchweight).
Walker nicked the name from a bootleg boxer, so I am guessing it is far from out of the question that he was not only one to this....
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 08:20 AM   #20
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He did this at least 2 years prior to the fight where he lost, as I already wrote. Since then there was no mention whatsoever of the other Ray Robinson, it also seems the case that the other guy was not as talented as Sugar Ray, ans it's highly unlikely that he'd get past 2 opponents (and stumble at 3rd) in the GG tournament, whereas the Sugar Ray wouldn't not even get into the tournament.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 12:52 PM   #21
Cobra33
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Actually Donald Curry's record was 400-5.The last person wo beat him I believe was Ronnie Shields.
Cobra33 is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 03:28 PM   #22
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra33
Actually Donald Curry's record was 400-5.The last person wo beat him I believe was Ronnie Shields.
I was thinking he only lost four out of 400 and something fights, so I'm guessing your correct.I remember reading him and McCrory were going to meet up in some amateur tourney, but both lost before their potential matchup.
Titan1 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum