Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-10-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
Charles White
Chucker
ESB Addict

vCash: 999
Default Prime McCall vs. Prime Mercer

Who takes this one? Both had heavy right hands and cast iron jaws.
Charles White is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Re: Prime McCall vs. Prime Mercer

Mercer outpoints him, no doubt.
Russell is online now  Top
Old 03-10-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
Mercer outpoints him, no doubt.

I don't think I'd use the words " no doubt. " In fact, Mercer either struggled or lost to fighters who had even so much as half assed boxing ability, ie. 42 year old Holmes, Jesse Ferguson, Francesco Damiani, etc. in addition, I see virtually no chance for a KO here, which ordinarily under these circumstances would be Mercer's best bet.

I say this ones' 50/50.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

McCall has a chance, but I think that an in shape Mercer would out hustle him for a decision.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2009, 12:55 AM   #5
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
McCall has a chance, but I think that an in shape Mercer would out hustle him for a decision.
Agreed.

At his best, such as against Bert Cooper, Mercer was busier and used more variety of punches, whereas McCall relied a lot on doing damage with his right hand.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
abraq
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Yes, at his best Mercer appeared busier. But McCall cannot just be written off in this fight. I feel that, overall, he had the better achievments.

50:50.
abraq is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
Charles White
Chucker
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
I don't think I'd use the words " no doubt. " In fact, Mercer either struggled or lost to fighters who had even so much as half assed boxing ability, ie. 42 year old Holmes, Jesse Ferguson, Francesco Damiani, etc. in addition, I see virtually no chance for a KO here, which ordinarily under these circumstances would be Mercer's best bet.

I say this ones' 50/50.
Even an old Holmes had tremendous boxing ability, so I wouldn't call his skills at that time half assed. He handed Mercer a good ass whuppin in the form of a boxing lesson. Ferguson and Damiani though, yes, half assed boxing ability.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
vCash: 300

Oliver and Ray in 1993 would have been a good solid fight, Oliver outlasted Holmes in a close one , and Ray lost fair and square to Larry showing how pedestrian he could be once he ran out of ideas.. Oliver had better boxing ability and a slightly better chin.. I give a fired up Mccall a points win , but in a fight where both would be very wary of the other mans power.. McCall victory...
Bigcat is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #9
Charles White
Chucker
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat View Post
Oliver and Ray in 1993 would have been a good solid fight, Oliver outlasted Holmes in a close one , and Ray lost fair and square to Larry showing how pedestrian he could be once he ran out of ideas.. Oliver had better boxing ability and a slightly better chin.. I give a fired up Mccall a points win , but in a fight where both would be very wary of the other mans power.. McCall victory...
Well put Bigcat, I concur.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #10
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
vCash: 300

Ray got out of jail by the skin of his teeth on more than one occasion, he was black and blue against Cooper, getting a job done on him against Morrison before he got his act together, Ray was completely out of sorts against Damiani before breaking the Italians nose very late to win the championship. Ray had trouble with anyone with some technical ability if he could not knock them out.. He had to try to sweet talk Jessie Ferguson into a truce during thier fight which resulted in an upset win for the Philadelphian... Ray was a hard boxer puncher who could lose his way in many fights when he switched off.. Oliver often liked to get fired up when the going got tough.... Ray and a challenge like that may have brought out the best in McCall..
Bigcat is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #11
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post

I say this ones' 50/50.
Well, if you want to look at the worst performances of a fighter who lived and died by how prepared he came into fights...
Old 03-11-2009, 02:57 PM   #12
downthatbottle
Please don't ban me
ESB Full Member

I don't know if this is a 50/50 fight.

I would definetly go with Mercer by UD.
downthatbottle is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2009, 05:06 PM   #13
purplestuff
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat View Post
nah, i gotta say mercer had the better chin. went against better punchers. also mercer lasted the lewis fight, oliver was on his way to bein KO and he knew it, so he cried his way outta the fight....

.....also mercer was a brawler who had a head first defence, where oliver could box a bit and wasnt there to be hit as often or as cleanly.

anyways i see mercer outhustling his way to a win, but if mercer is lazy oliver very well could pull off the W.
purplestuff is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2009, 05:40 PM   #14
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplestuff View Post
nah, i gotta say mercer had the better chin. went against better punchers. also mercer lasted the lewis fight, oliver was on his way to bein KO and he knew it, so he cried his way outta the fight....
Old 03-11-2009, 06:46 PM   #15
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

My money would be on Mercer, who fought better oppostion and was the more gifted fighter. McCall's only great asset was his legendary chin and wild right hand, which caught guys like Awkinwande and Lewis off guard. I do see Mercer outboxing McCall, similar to what Bruno or Buster did to him.
Punisher33 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum