Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 03-10-2009, 05:43 AM   #1
cockneyhardman
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default why is this happening?

was training today and had to stop because i knew if i kept throwing hard left hand punches i would tear my left lats
a few years ago i tore my right lat badly but it wasn't just a big sudden tear it was a bit by bit tear which i was oblivious to at first because it wasn't very painful but part of the problem back then was i didn't warm up properly, but i learned from that and make sure i always warm up thoroughly, but now i'm starting to feel it on the other side
i posted a thread on here about a week ago about left hooks and have been practicing it specifically above all other punches with determination and to my amazement i started throwing hooks twice as hard as normal but this is when the problem started - any advice on whats happening here?
cockneyhardman is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2009, 05:59 AM   #2
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: why is this happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ****neyhardman View Post
was training today and had to stop because i knew if i kept throwing hard left hand punches i would tear my left lats
a few years ago i tore my right lat badly but it wasn't just a big sudden tear it was a bit by bit tear which i was oblivious to at first because it wasn't very painful but part of the problem back then was i didn't warm up properly, but i learned from that and make sure i always warm up thoroughly, but now i'm starting to feel it on the other side
i posted a thread on here about a week ago about left hooks and have been practicing it specifically above all other punches with determination and to my amazement i started throwing hooks twice as hard as normal but this is when the problem started - any advice on whats happening here?
thats scary,were you on the heavy bag
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2009, 06:16 AM   #3
cockneyhardman
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpinr View Post
thats scary,were you on the heavy bag
no i was doing shadows and pads
Old 03-10-2009, 06:24 AM   #4
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

was the guy who was on the pads with you holding them firmly enough.
i can remember being on them and if there is hardly any reistance to your punching it jarrs everything.with shadow boxing you shouldn't be throwing your punches till you can feel your shoulders snap.
the lat things a new one on me,sound sore
do you have fist horizontal or vertical when it lands ??

best of luck anyway,and as the crowd always shouts
BE FIRST
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2009, 08:07 AM   #5
cockneyhardman
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpinr View Post
was the guy who was on the pads with you holding them firmly enough.
i can remember being on them and if there is hardly any reistance to your punching it jarrs everything.with shadow boxing you shouldn't be throwing your punches till you can feel your shoulders snap.
the lat things a new one on me,sound sore
do you have fist horizontal or vertical when it lands ??

best of luck anyway,and as the crowd always shouts
BE FIRST
thanks
i think u may have answered for me
sometimes i have a tendency to throw power punches in mid air so i've probably stretched it too much so i'll have to stop for a while and let it recover
Old 03-10-2009, 08:32 AM   #6
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

hope it helps
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2009, 08:47 AM   #7
Bodi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

When you say "tearing your left lat", what exactly do you mean by this? Is it a sharp, shooting sensation at a particular joint angle which goes away when you relax, or is your lat in pain constantly after the initial pain?

Either way, see if rest and ibuprofen will settle it down (don't train whilst taking ibuprofen). If it doesn't settle down after that, I would suggest that you go and see a chiropracter if possible.
Bodi is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2009, 01:40 PM   #8
cockneyhardman
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodi View Post
When you say "tearing your left lat", what exactly do you mean by this? Is it a sharp, shooting sensation at a particular joint angle which goes away when you relax, or is your lat in pain constantly after the initial pain?

Either way, see if rest and ibuprofen will settle it down (don't train whilst taking ibuprofen). If it doesn't settle down after that, I would suggest that you go and see a chiropracter if possible.
it's a sharp brief pain i only get when throwing a quick punch, not a continual ache
i suspect there might be a tiny tear already, so i won't risk making it worse like i did the first time when i tore my right lat
the first time i didn't realise how bad it was until one day it hurt a lot when throwing and i looked at it in the mirror and could see a big red mark which i realised was internal bleeding and a big groove in the muscle
Old 03-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #9
Bodi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Can you give me some idea of what you warm up and stretching routines consist of please?

In respect of your above comments, I would suggest that you rest the particular muscle group which is causing you pain for atleast 4-6 weeks initially. Following this period, gently start working the area, and re-introduce dynamic stretching to your warm up routine. If you experience any further pain upon recommencing training, see a chiropracter.
Bodi is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2009, 07:46 AM   #10
boxbible
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Is it the Lat or the Teres Minor?

And do you do a lot of benching compared to lat exercises? Could be an imbalance causing major stress on the lats when hooking...
boxbible is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing