Old 08-25-2007, 06:31 AM   #76
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900
Default Re: Mosley vs Cotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Boxing
Shane may not be the monster he was 5 years ago. But Cotto's not the monster people are making him out to be now. I, for one, was disappointed in his fight with Judah and feel that a fighter twice the caliber of Judah in Mosely will be able to exploit Cotto's weaknesses....

One's thing for sure, Cotto can't wobble and dance like he likes to do. Cause Mosely's a MAD finisher...

nobody is making cotto out to be anything, he is showing us,

in the judah fight people were saying judah is a better finisher than chop chop and torres and he has the power to ko cotto, in this fight people are saying shane is a better finisher than judah,

cotto always rises to the occasion.
Relentless is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2007, 03:25 PM   #77
Dorfmeister
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakefist
I highly disagree. Winky AND Forrest presents specific stylistic problems that are all wrong for Shane. Shane really has trouble with a fighter who who is taller then him with a good and nice right hand. Cotto's style is NOTHING like them, period. Shane was confused against Winky's defense, great Jab, and right hands... and Forrest with his style just had his number, his Jab was excellent and his right hand had excellent accuracy and is power (his best pnuch). Cotto is a pressure fighter and wares you down. He doesn't have awesome defense, doesn't have the power in his right hand like forrest had. Really Forrest has a underrated uppercut, he has a lot of pop on it, really it was the uppercut that had Shane almost out in their fight. That same uppercut had Ike hurt bad and he was holding on for much of that round.

Cotto's power is not excellent, it took him 11 rounds to KO Judah who doesn't have the best chin and he was hitting him cleanly the whole fight. Shane is much more durable then Judah, and Cotto's style is ripe for Shane. Only thing is Shane is 36, in his prime there would be no way Cotto could win. Shane was more of a punsher then a boxer. Time will tell, but I am saying this right now, you can't apply Forrest and Winky to this, it just doesn't add up style wise.

Look at his fight against Oscar, he adapted in the fight to pull out the victory. But that first fight Oscar fought him like a puncher and not a boxer. Cotto can't out box Shane, remember shane has trouble with people with quick Jabs and movement (defense in the case of Winky), he doesn't have to worry about these things with Cotto. Cotto is pretty much there to be hit the whole night, if you can take the incoming pressure, and I think Shane can.

If Shane rocks Cotto, Cotto is going to get KO'd, period.
I second all of that but even though Shane is still a great athlete at 36 ( just a number I truly believe so), I really can't see him evading and dodging punches all the time and specially in close cause simply at that distance, he won't be able to notice Cotto setting up short, fast punches ( Quintana couldn't and said afterwards that Miguel is quite fast putting punches together) - so if Shane can't sense what Miguel is willing to let go on him, he won't be able to avoid it, has to take it! That is precisely the opposite problem to Winky's and Forrest's, he doesn't have to get in long armed, taller guys with fast one-twos but keep someone stockier and stronger ( than Winky or Vernon) off him ... Now, when they are at that punching range and Mosley protects his chin with the high right guard sensefully, can he take a blast downstairs ( look at the RING MAG cover pic, Cotto vs Judah Edition, to notice the leverage Cotto puts behind body shots)? That is the 24 thousand dollar question here... Plus, if Shane misses with a glancing overhand right at close quarters, he runs directly into Cotto's right hook to the body and there, he surely won't have time to react. There are equivocal questions and reason for doubt here - not definitely taking parts here.
Dorfmeister is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 03:45 PM   #78
Caper
How about a fair shake?
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfmeister
I second all of that but even though Shane is still a great athlete at 36 ( just a number I truly believe so), I really can't see him evading and dodging punches all the time and specially in close cause simply at that distance, he won't be able to notice Cotto setting up short, fast punches ( Quintana couldn't and said afterwards that Miguel is quite fast putting punches together) - so if Shane can't sense what Miguel is willing to let go on him, he won't be able to avoid it, has to take it! That is precisely the opposite problem to Winky's and Forrest's, he doesn't have to get in long armed, taller guys with fast one-twos but keep someone stockier and stronger ( than Winky or Vernon) off him ... Now, when they are at that punching range and Mosley protects his chin with the high right guard sensefully, can he take a blast downstairs ( look at the RING MAG cover pic, Cotto vs Judah Edition, to notice the leverage Cotto puts behind body shots)? That is the 24 thousand dollar question here... Plus, if Shane misses with a glancing overhand right at close quarters, he runs directly into Cotto's right hook to the body and there, he surely won't have time to react. There are equivocal questions and reason for doubt here - not definitely taking parts here.
Interesting

I can picture Shane using his quickness to avoid plenty of inside fighting but this will take away plenty of mustard on his attack not preventing the pressure fighter to utilize another game plan. This will force Shane to fight more in the pocket which I think will be at a disadvantage to him. Shane has a tendency to become a very animated puncher thus taking away the element of surprise and one of his glaring advantages over Cotto which is speed. If Cotto can eat Shanes punches long enough he will most likely break Shane down, slowly but surely.
Caper is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 03:53 PM   #79
Danny Ocean
My nAmE IS MoNeY
ESB Senior Member

im starting to see a mosley stoppage

i think he will paw that jab out as a range finder to throw some vicious hooks while staying out of distance

i think a left hook shakes cotto early and sugar shane gets confidence from it and procedes to slowly dishearten cotto until around the 10th he stops him with a flurry of hooks
Danny Ocean is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 04:03 PM   #80
Dorfmeister
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper
Interesting

I can picture Shane using his quickness to avoid plenty of inside fighting but this will take away plenty of mustard on his attack not preventing the pressure fighter to utilize another game plan. This will force Shane to fight more in the pocket which I think will be at a disadvantage to him. Shane has a tendency to become a very animated puncher thus taking away the element of surprise and one of his glaring advantages over Cotto which is speed. If Cotto can eat Shanes punches long enough he will most likely break Shane down, slowly but surely.
Planna Caper, Shane can go fast enough or far enough, that is not the issue, both know the score inside out and age is not the helluva difference to their figure - Miguel will swing himself into action and Shane must swing himself off or else it's a matter of whose legs buckle first - that is pure dynamic collision physics. I wouldn't leap to the conclusion that Shane gonna call it quits cause if he keeps Miguel's punch stats in single features ( like against Collazo), he'll have an easy, flat road to follow up and Miguel one steep incline and may run wrecklessly into a big counter, but having said that, Shane has a very hard task to start out on good foot! There is a whole lot to this and that's why it makes it so interesting... Not like a wild goose chase like other fights may turn out to be this fall!
Dorfmeister is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 04:06 PM   #81
El Bombasto
Ask yo momma
ESB Addict

agreed, cotto will get stopped before he has a chance to wear-down mosley
El Bombasto is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 04:19 PM   #82
Caper
How about a fair shake?
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfmeister
Planna Caper, Shane can go fast enough or far enough, that is not the issue, both know the score inside out and age is not the helluva difference to their figure - Miguel will swing himself into action and Shane must swing himself off or else it's a matter of whose legs buckle first - that is pure dynamic collision physics. I wouldn't leap to the conclusion that Shane gonna call it quits cause if he keeps Miguel's punch stats in single features ( like against Collazo), he'll have an easy, flat road to follow up and Miguel one steep incline and may run wrecklessly into a big counter, but having said that, Shane has a very hard task to start out on good foot! There is a whole lot to this and that's why it makes it so interesting... Not like a wild goose chase like other fights may turn out to be this fall!
Yes a confident Shane is much more likely to succeed in a fight of this magnitude. If he starts off strong and stay's poised for the on slaught he has a great chance of winning and stopping the Cotto express. I don't see Cotto wasting too much time before getting the action into an initmate realm, so much for Collazo like inactivity.
Caper is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 04:22 PM   #83
Caper
How about a fair shake?
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bombasto
agreed, cotto will get stopped before he has a chance to wear-down mosley
In contrast to that if Mosley allows Cotto to dictate the action he will be TKO in the championship rounds.
Caper is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 04:33 PM   #84
Caper
How about a fair shake?
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Ocean
im starting to see a mosley stoppage

i think he will paw that jab out as a range finder to throw some vicious hooks while staying out of distance

i think a left hook shakes cotto early and sugar shane gets confidence from it and procedes to slowly dishearten cotto until around the 10th he stops him with a flurry of hooks
I disagree, pawing with the jab will only allow Cotto to slowy manuver his way inside near Mosley's body. If anything Mosley needs to throw a strong snapping jab discouraging Cotto (I'm not sure if he can be discouraged)

Stopping Cotto will be something that will happen in more of a sudden event....I have never seen Cotto disheartened even when taking a beating so I don't think it will happen against an on coming warrior such as Mosley who will invite a brawl.
Caper is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 05:27 PM   #85
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 750

I'm picking Cotto to win, after much consideration.

We've already seen that Cotto has what it takes to nullify an opponent's speed adavantage, and, while SSM is a much more well-rounded fighter than Judah, he's still got a tendency to throw wide shots from time to time; this means that, if Cotto fights smart, he'll have the opportunity to counter Shane as he steps in.

Also, much has been made about the fact that Cotto isn't as good of a boxer as Mosley. While that may be true, he's still good enough to work his way into punching range (especially if Mosley paws with that jab), if he has to, or to draw SSM in close after making him miss (SSM isn't going to be able to catch him with everything, after all).

SSM's a great fighter, but, at some point, he's going to elect to trade, or, more likely, will be made to trade. Cotto's still got the edge in terms of power,and, right now, I think he's got the edge in terms of strength. When you combine that with the cool that he displays, I think that means he'll be able to come on late, and either score a late stoppage, or, secure a close decision.

Last edited by LilDevil; 05-21-2006 at 12:51 PM.
Drew101 is online now  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 06:32 PM   #86
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

vCash: 760

Can't wait for this fight, its gonna be great! Gotto go with Mosley, I hope he can take this.
Mind Reader is online now  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 08:19 PM   #87
Rakim
Captain ****wit

vCash: 6000

I'm looking forward to this one. I'm really favouring Mosley at the moment, I think he'll be too quick for Cotto. Mosley TKO 10. Of course, my prediction will change, depending on who looks angriest at the weigh-in.
Rakim is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 08:43 PM   #88
dave82
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim
I'm looking forward to this one. I'm really favouring Mosley at the moment, I think he'll be too quick for Cotto. Mosley TKO 10. Of course, my prediction will change, depending on who looks angriest at the weigh-in.
Ohh come on, you know Mosley is always smiling
dave82 is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 09:49 PM   #89
platnumpapi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

well let me say i think cotto is the truth but at the same time he will not beat shane mosley.shane is a dynamic fighter with speed and power and ring smarts and he has a good chin.i think the fight will be a great fight to watch but i also think that shane will stop him mid late rounds.

the winner should fight the winner of pbf vs hatton i think.
platnumpapi is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum