Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-25-2007, 12:39 AM   #1
Rad

vCash: 1000
Default Is it an advantage?

I've been thinking lately...From the feedback I get when I "sparr", my reach is hard to get around. I'm about 6'1" 135 pounds, and I could probably bump down one weight class and be alright. Is this an advantage is that weight class to be tall?
Rad is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2007, 12:26 AM   #2
boxbible
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: Is it an advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
I've been thinking lately...From the feedback I get when I "sparr", my reach is hard to get around. I'm about 6'1" 135 pounds, and I could probably bump down one weight class and be alright. Is this an advantage is that weight class to be tall?
Only if you use your reach advantage properly.
boxbible is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2007, 01:02 AM   #3
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It can help or hurt. I'm a 6'4 165 pounder, and I sometimes wish I was a weight class higher where I wouldn't fight an angry midget nearly everytime I'm out there; because if you don't use your reach right and really commit and jab, you're ****ed.
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 03:46 PM   #4
Little_Mac
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya
It can help or hurt. I'm a 6'4 165 pounder, and I sometimes wish I was a weight class higher where I wouldn't fight an angry midget nearly everytime I'm out there; because if you don't use your reach right and really commit and jab, you're ****ed.
that angry midget line got me good... too funny.
Little_Mac is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2007, 06:28 PM   #5
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
You always have to remember, if your short, you can use that to your advantage too, it takes a lot more out of you to hit someone thats 5'4 and squatting than it does for them to pop out of their squat and tag you on the inside.

EDIT: Didnt see what Kolya said, but this probably explains his problem

Last edited by good right hand; 05-20-2006 at 01:22 AM.
MagnificentMatt is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 04:39 PM   #6
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
Quote:
Not trying to start an argument or insult anyone but why do all boxers think they have to be so thin? I mean 6'4 165lbs, do you get blown over by the slightest breeze? I'm 5'10 170lbs and I feel skinny. It makes no sense.
viru§™ is online now  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 05:11 PM   #7
buddynabuick
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Mac
that angry midget line got me good... too funny.

me too. but its true
buddynabuick is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 09:13 PM   #8
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™
Not trying to start an argument or insult anyone but why do all boxers think they have to be so thin? I mean 6'4 165lbs, do you get blown over by the slightest breeze? I'm 5'10 170lbs and I feel skinny. It makes no sense.
Not a big fan of somatotypes; huh? I'm an ectomorph mainly; and to top it off I'm 19; I have a near inability to gain weight unless I religiously eat insane amounts of food. It's my goal before the next fights I have to gain weight so I'm back up to 165 or above; and then drop to 165 for tournaments; as right now, if I wanted to, I could make 152, Welterweight.

And most boxers tend to train to the lowest weight class they can make in order to have the most size advantage they can possibly have at that weight class.
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 10:38 PM   #9
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

Everyone is built different. It's just a matter of how you use your skills and if you can capitalize on whatever your advantages may be.

Last edited by enzo; 05-21-2006 at 11:34 PM.
amy is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 10:41 PM   #10
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Not a big fan of somatotypes; huh? I'm an ectomorph mainly; and to top it off I'm 19; I have a near inability to gain weight unless I religiously eat insane amounts of food. It's my goal before the next fights I have to gain weight so I'm back up to 165 or above; and then drop to 165 for tournaments; as right now, if I wanted to, I could make 152, Welterweight.

And most boxers tend to train to the lowest weight class they can make in order to have the most size advantage they can possibly have at that weight class.
Shit man im 5'5 1/2 and 130, and comfortable. (Odd for my build at this class my best feature is probably speed) Im usually anywhere from 1-3 Inches on the short end.
MagnificentMatt is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing