Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2007, 12:39 AM   #1
Rad
newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2
vCash: 1000
Default Is it an advantage?

I've been thinking lately...From the feedback I get when I "sparr", my reach is hard to get around. I'm about 6'1" 135 pounds, and I could probably bump down one weight class and be alright. Is this an advantage is that weight class to be tall?
Rad is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2007, 12:26 AM   #2
boxbible
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 492
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is it an advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
I've been thinking lately...From the feedback I get when I "sparr", my reach is hard to get around. I'm about 6'1" 135 pounds, and I could probably bump down one weight class and be alright. Is this an advantage is that weight class to be tall?
Only if you use your reach advantage properly.
boxbible is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 01:02 AM   #3
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,981
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is it an advantage?

It can help or hurt. I'm a 6'4 165 pounder, and I sometimes wish I was a weight class higher where I wouldn't fight an angry midget nearly everytime I'm out there; because if you don't use your reach right and really commit and jab, you're ****ed.
Kolya is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:46 PM   #4
Little_Mac
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 416
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is it an advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya
It can help or hurt. I'm a 6'4 165 pounder, and I sometimes wish I was a weight class higher where I wouldn't fight an angry midget nearly everytime I'm out there; because if you don't use your reach right and really commit and jab, you're ****ed.
that angry midget line got me good... too funny.
Little_Mac is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:28 PM   #5
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,633
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is it an advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
I've been thinking lately...From the feedback I get when I "sparr", my reach is hard to get around. I'm about 6'1" 135 pounds, and I could probably bump down one weight class and be alright. Is this an advantage is that weight class to be tall?
You always have to remember, if your short, you can use that to your advantage too, it takes a lot more out of you to hit someone thats 5'4 and squatting than it does for them to pop out of their squat and tag you on the inside.

EDIT: Didnt see what Kolya said, but this probably explains his problem

Last edited by good right hand; 05-20-2006 at 01:22 AM.
MagnificentMatt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:39 PM   #6
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,891
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is it an advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
I've been thinking lately...From the feedback I get when I "sparr", my reach is hard to get around. I'm about 6'1" 135 pounds, and I could probably bump down one weight class and be alright. Is this an advantage is that weight class to be tall?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya
It can help or hurt. I'm a 6'4 165 pounder, and I sometimes wish I was a weight class higher where I wouldn't fight an angry midget nearly everytime I'm out there; because if you don't use your reach right and really commit and jab, you're ****ed.
Not trying to start an argument or insult anyone but why do all boxers think they have to be so thin? I mean 6'4 165lbs, do you get blown over by the slightest breeze? I'm 5'10 170lbs and I feel skinny. It makes no sense.
viru§™ is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:11 PM   #7
buddynabuick
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Detroit
Posts: 282
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is it an advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Mac
that angry midget line got me good... too funny.

me too. but its true
buddynabuick is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:13 PM   #8
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,981
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is it an advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™
Not trying to start an argument or insult anyone but why do all boxers think they have to be so thin? I mean 6'4 165lbs, do you get blown over by the slightest breeze? I'm 5'10 170lbs and I feel skinny. It makes no sense.
Not a big fan of somatotypes; huh? I'm an ectomorph mainly; and to top it off I'm 19; I have a near inability to gain weight unless I religiously eat insane amounts of food. It's my goal before the next fights I have to gain weight so I'm back up to 165 or above; and then drop to 165 for tournaments; as right now, if I wanted to, I could make 152, Welterweight.

And most boxers tend to train to the lowest weight class they can make in order to have the most size advantage they can possibly have at that weight class.
Kolya is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:38 PM   #9
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Looks like someone needs a hug.
Posts: 1,777
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is it an advantage?

Everyone is built different. It's just a matter of how you use your skills and if you can capitalize on whatever your advantages may be.

Last edited by enzo; 05-21-2006 at 11:34 PM.
amy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:41 PM   #10
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,633
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is it an advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya
Not a big fan of somatotypes; huh? I'm an ectomorph mainly; and to top it off I'm 19; I have a near inability to gain weight unless I religiously eat insane amounts of food. It's my goal before the next fights I have to gain weight so I'm back up to 165 or above; and then drop to 165 for tournaments; as right now, if I wanted to, I could make 152, Welterweight.

And most boxers tend to train to the lowest weight class they can make in order to have the most size advantage they can possibly have at that weight class.
Shit man im 5'5 1/2 and 130, and comfortable. (Odd for my build at this class my best feature is probably speed) Im usually anywhere from 1-3 Inches on the short end.
MagnificentMatt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013