Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-22-2007, 01:55 PM   #31
bigjake
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mike Tyson v.s Sonny Liston (Bareknuckles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Intentions
it won't be an easy fight to be honest. liston was pretty fast for a guy his size, and his left jab (the best of all times heavyweight that is) will leave good damage on tyson's face.
yes liston i think would win that contest.he's make tyson quit
bigjake is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2007, 03:32 PM   #32
C. M. Clay II
Manassah's finest!
ESB Senior Member

Liston is bigger, hits harder, and takes the better punch, and that's all that would matter in a street fight, so Liston wins this one here within the first five minutes.
C. M. Clay II is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2007, 04:33 AM   #33
hobgoblin
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. M. Clay II
Liston is bigger, hits harder, and takes the better punch, and that's all that would matter in a street fight, so Liston wins this one here within the first five minutes.
whoa...tyson hits just as hard as liston in fact is a superior puncher (handspeed counts big time in a street fight) with more angles and well rounded punches (better uppercut) and liston's long arms meant his punches were wider too (at least that is what i saw on screen). and without a doubt, tyson has a better chin - he takes a punch better than liston. i pick liston but won't do injustice to tyson.

btw, i doubt this would last 5 minutes and forget the jab - this is not a boxing contest. in that case, ali would beat liston in a street fight

quickness and reflexes are very important in a streetfight (i should know since the number of fights i have fought ends in 0 )
hobgoblin is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2007, 05:55 PM   #34
JohnBKelly
Journeyman

Mike Tyson went to jail when he was about twelve and was taken in by D'Amato when he was about 14. He spent the next few years boxing and going to school in Catskill. A tough life but pretty privileged compared to some of us.

Sonny Liston had a shitty childhood and mixed with bad guys up to his discovery of boxing in his early 20s. Even after he turned pro he still beat up folks on a regular basis. Even as champ Sonny was a tough embittered man who didn't like too many people.

Tyson has spent plenty of time in stir but his crimes were generally the product of crass arrogance not outright thuggery. There are a few parking lot attendants and burger salesmen who have taken a shot from Iron Mike's bare fist and not needed facial re-construction. So lets not get hung up on this nonsense about pro boxers being deadly punchers without gloves. If they have their feet set and the victim stands still then yes a guy like Tyson could crush the bones in someones face. The reality is that streetfights happen at close range and off balance.

Sonny v Mike without gloves, I go for Sonny after an hour or so of wrestling.
JohnBKelly is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2007, 06:15 PM   #35
hobgoblin
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBKelly
There are a few parking lot attendants and burger salesmen who have taken a shot from Iron Mike's bare fist and not needed facial re-construction.

Sonny v Mike without gloves, I go for Sonny after an hour or so of wrestling.
It wouldn't be a wrestling match. And between these two guys, no way one survives for an hour. Hell, a boxing match is not 1 hour long and fighters are drained towards the end.

Also, a boxer's bare fisted punch is very damaging. What on earth are you talking about? Remember Mitch Green's face? The two guys that threatened Tyson with a gun in 2003 and one tried to swing at him with a pole. We saw hotel footage - Tyson threw a JAB and the guy's face was cratered and he said he was getting double vision or something (perhaps he wanted money in damages so he exaggereated). I heard about an incident where a waitress deliberately spilled hot coffee over Tyson, hoping that he would hit her and she'd make money off of this (sick isn't it). Tyson kept his cool and she got zilch. Since nothing happened, you hear little about that incident. If a parking lot attendant or whoever went off unscarred, it is because Tyson for the monster that he can be, sometimes actually used his brain and minimized trouble (as he tried to do by just throwing a jab against "civilians" whereas against someone like Mitch Green he didn't bother but went for the straight right).
Old 06-23-2007, 06:33 PM   #36
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Sonny would immediately break Mike's fist with his face, just like Mitch Green did. That's where the similarity ends. Tyson has one good hand left, and now he's made Liston mad. Next stop for Tyson: ICU.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2007, 07:18 PM   #37
hobgoblin
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum
Sonny would immediately break Mike's fist with his face, just like Mitch Green did. That's where the similarity ends. Tyson has one good hand left, and now he's made Liston mad. Next stop for Tyson: ICU.
I don't follow the logic here: you imply that Tyson lands first (hand speed vs reach). If Tyson lands the kind of right hand he landed on Green, Liston would be KNOCKED OUT. Liston could not take Tyson's best shot. And I assume that if Tyson broke his hand, he punched as hard as he would w/o gloves and that truly would cause more damage to Liston and Tyson. In your scenario, the fight is over with the last line. Liston had a reliable chin but Mike Tyson's right hand was harder than anything Cleveland Williams or Mike DeJohn hit him with. Tyson may not have been the greatest figher but he was one hell of a puncher. Liston was the greater boxer but Tyson was a superior puncher and a had a better chin.

Additionally, Tyson was more durable than Liston with a better chin and it is Tyson who has a record for hurting people's fists with his chin with single shots (Lewis as early as round 2 and Tucker as early as round 1 or 2 can't remember with a single uppercut).
Old 06-23-2007, 08:00 PM   #38
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobgoblin
I don't follow the logic here: you imply that Tyson lands first (hand speed vs reach). If Tyson lands the kind of right hand he landed on Green, Liston would be KNOCKED OUT. Liston could not take Tyson's best shot. And I assume that if Tyson broke his hand, he punched as hard as he would w/o gloves and that truly would cause more damage to Liston and Tyson. In your scenario, the fight is over with the last line. Liston had a reliable chin but Mike Tyson's right hand was harder than anything Cleveland Williams or Mike DeJohn hit him with. Tyson may not have been the greatest figher but he was one hell of a puncher. Liston was the greater boxer but Tyson was a superior puncher and a had a better chin.

Additionally, Tyson was more durable than Liston with a better chin and it is Tyson who has a record for hurting people's fists with his chin with single shots (Lewis as early as round 2 and Tucker as early as round 1 or 2 can't remember with a single uppercut).
By Tyson's own admission, Green came up swinging after Mike decked him. He had to floor Blood another couple of times before he could get away in his car. Green was far less dangerous on the street than Liston would have been. I'm giving Mike the best case scenario, that Sonny lets him get in the first shot. Question is, can Tyson stand up to what Sonny would deliver in return?
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2007, 08:02 PM   #39
unitas
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Intentions
Bareknuckle.

who wins?
stupid
unitas is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2007, 08:15 PM   #40
hobgoblin
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
By Tyson's own admission, Green came up swinging after Mike decked him. He had to floor Blood another couple of times before he could get away in his car. Green was far less dangerous on the street than Liston would have been. I'm giving Mike the best case scenario, that Sonny lets him get in the first shot. Question is, can Tyson stand up to what Sonny would deliver in return?
I did not know and am shocked that Green got up from that punch to swing some more. Very hard to believe. In that case, you're absolutely right. Even if Liston broke his fist on Tyson's chin like Tyson broke his, I'd pick Liston. Yes, you are giving Tyson a great scenario and of course Liston was far more dangerous than Green.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:56 PM   #41
seb melmoth

Liston ****s him up.
seb melmoth is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2007, 02:02 AM   #42
CzarKyle
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

This is something I would pay anything to see. Lets pray the afterlife (for those that believe there is such) has a fantasy predictor that shows these fights in real time.
CzarKyle is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2007, 04:56 AM   #43
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I did not know and am shocked that Green got up from that punch to swing some more. Very hard to believe. In that case, you're absolutely right. Even if Liston broke his fist on Tyson's chin like Tyson broke his, I'd pick Liston. Yes, you are giving Tyson a great scenario and of course Liston was far more dangerous than Green.
Awwwww, you ain't no fun! (Vehement protests are so much more entertaining than changing people's minds.)

I remember the interviews following their street fight, and juxtaposing the mess Mike made of Green's face, with Tyson's admission that Mitch kept getting up swinging, was a stunning contrast. Street fighting, bare knuckle prizefighting, and competitive boxing are three very diverse undertakings. The ones who generally capture the public imagination are the ones perceived to be able to excel at all of them.

The Spinks brothers were horrible streetfighters, while Camacho was reputedly a great one (who admitted to using a brick or bat to win on occasion). Corbett beat the crap out of Choynski in street fights, before he duplicated that success in a ring.

One of the toughest streetfighters I ever knew had his nose broken eleven seconds into his first sanctioned competition with gloves.

If you want some ATG's on your side in a barroom brawl, I'd start by suggesting Foreman, Dempsey, and Duran.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2007, 05:05 AM   #44
hobgoblin
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Awwwww, you ain't no fun! (Vehement protests are so much more entertaining than changing people's minds.)

I remember the interviews following their street fight, and juxtaposing the mess Mike made of Green's face, with Tyson's admission that Mitch kept getting up swinging, was a stunning contrast. Street fighting, bare knuckle prizefighting, and competitive boxing are three very diverse undertakings. The ones who generally capture the public imagination are the ones perceived to be able to excel at all of them.

The Spinks brothers were horrible streetfighters, while Camacho was reputedly a great one (who admitted to using a brick or bat to win on occasion). Corbett beat the crap out of Choynski in street fights, before he duplicated that success in a ring.

One of the toughest streetfighters I ever knew had his nose broken eleven seconds into his first sanctioned competition with gloves.

If you want some ATG's on your side in a barroom brawl, I'd start by suggesting Foreman, Dempsey, and Duran.
That screen name is unusual (not to mention disgusting if I remember my anatomy correctly). Are you a medical doctor or do you work in a clinical lab? That would make sense in several ways. If not, do not give the correct answer, these are personal matters that I don't like someone to intimately reveal. It'd be interesting if my random hunch were correct, that's all.

Last edited by hobgoblin; 06-24-2007 at 05:08 AM.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:26 AM   #45
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
That screen name is unusual (not to mention disgusting if I remember my anatomy correctly). Are you a medical doctor or do you work in a clinical lab? That would make sense in several ways. If not, do not give the correct answer, these are personal matters that I don't like someone to intimately reveal. It'd be interesting if my random hunch were correct, that's all.
You are clearly a most astute scholar, to decipher the self-effacing and diffident nature of my nom de guerre. (I've been wondering how long before somebody commented on that! 341 posts later, I have my answer.)

Although I did work in a health care setting, once upon a time, it's my affinity for relatively obscure funny looking and sounding words which drew me to employ this particular selection. (I just assumed that everybody on this board was simply too polite to make mention of it.) There are numerous other bizarre potential selections I'm holding in reserve for other applications. Duodenum does seem an apt moniker, considering the nature of my currently tiresome commentary. (Plus, Duo is emerging as a cool nick-name.) Well done!
Duodenum is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum