Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-01-2007, 12:20 PM   #16
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Roy Jones Junior v Ezzard Charles

Last edited by JohnThomas1; 09-01-2007 at 07:21 PM.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2007, 12:34 PM   #17
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Jones vs Charles would be a fascinating match up at middle weight, supper middle weight, light heavyweight, cruiser weight or heavyweight.

I do think Roy Jones has better skills. He’s faster, hits harder, and had no problem outclassing two excellent middles and light heavies who should ranks as pound for pound talents in their decade in James Toney and Bernard Hopkins.

Charles was by far the grittier fighter, and had the style of a brawler. Jones did not like to brawl toe to toe, which is why this fight is interesting. While Charles wasn’t a big puncher, he was certainly a solid hitter at light heavy.

Critics might say Jones had questionable durability, but in truth so did Charles. Both guys suffered one punch KO losses. The difference to me is Charles could be out boxed by men near his size. Jones was never really out boxed by anyone his size.

My best fantasy guess would be Jones wins the decision.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 12:51 PM   #18
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Charles would probably win via late stoppage or decision he is a lot more proven at this weight and he never had trouble with speed which is Roy's biggest attribute. Jones would have a better chance against Moore then Charles.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 12:55 PM   #19
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotauro
Charles would probably win via late stoppage or decision he is a lot more proven at this weight and he never had trouble with speed which is Roy's biggest attribute.
You don't think the theory that Charles would find it difficult to establish any kind of rythym v Jones holds any real water?
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 01:11 PM   #20
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
You don't think the theory that Charles would find it difficult to establish any kind of rythym v Jones holds any real water?
Charles fought just as fast and elusive fighters as Jones and never had problems while Jones never fought anyone who was on Charles level only a weight drained Toney. I'm not trying to make Jones sound worse but Charles beat Burley who was quicker and a great defensive fighter he even knocked him down same goes with Walcott. Charles knocked him down for a 9 count. I think Charles would be able to find Jones more then any of his other opponents, Ezzard proved he could take on the best no matter what type of fighter they were. I don't believe Jones did this.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 01:14 PM   #21
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotauro
Charles fought just as fast and elusive fighters as Jones and never had problems while Jones never fought anyone who was on Charles level only a weight drained Toney. I'm not trying to make Jones sound worse but Charles beat Burley who was quicker and a great defensive fighter he even knocked him down same goes with Walcott. Charles knocked him down for a 9 count. I think Charles would be able to find Jones more then any of his other oppoents, Ezzard proved he could take on the best no matter what type of fighter they were. I don't believe Jones did this.
I agree that Charles would be the best that Jones ever fought, and I agree that Charles is better/to be ranked above/better h2h than Jones, but I feel here we have the very best of a type that Charles would struggle with. Obviously even peak versions of the weight's dominant fighter would lose to this one or that one - I think this guy might be Charles' that one.
McGrain is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum