Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-30-2007, 09:44 PM   #16
Butch Coolidge
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: where to keep your eyes?

Watch how his weight is balanced. If his head is over his right, his weight is on his right so anticipate him throwing a right. Keep your guard up and be wary of his jab, the nonleverage punch, but being aware of his heavy artillery is coming from will keep you safe.
Butch Coolidge is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2007, 10:15 PM   #17
gregsid
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Coolidge
Watch how his weight is balanced. If his head is over his right, his weight is on his right so anticipate him throwing a right. Keep your guard up and be wary of his jab, the nonleverage punch, but being aware of his heavy artillery is coming from will keep you safe.
This maybe be true in very early amauteurs (aka, haymakers), but from more experianced boxers (6months+, depends on boxer) you will get destoryed if you follow this advice. If you throw punches/combos by tilting your body in one direction or another, that is called bad technique (unless of course your rolling off the punches and countering). Especially because proper punches are thrown by rotation of the hips and shoulders.
Factoring in feints and different styles of boxing, it's just best to stay on your toes, don't hesitate, and watch for the tells. After a few months of sparing and training you will eventually get to the point where you body will be able to tell which punches are being thrown and move on its own.
And I don't know what your talking about calling the jab a nonleverage punch. The jab can be equally as deadly if not more deadly than the right hand.
gregsid is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 11:42 PM   #18
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsid
I thought some wouldn't understand.
All most all of your punching power comes from the legs and rotation of the hips, there are small tells in the legs that give away certain punches. If you are experianced enough in boxing you can tell what punches the person is throwing just by looking at the legs, to an extent. I'm not saying to only look at the legs cause you shouldn't, but if your in the middle of the weave (for example) and for the moment you can't see where the next punch is coming, you can get an idea of where it will be from the legs and waist.
My dad used to look at the torso...But i dont know i just feel comfortable looking into my opponents eyes and my best feat is probably my defense, if any..
MagnificentMatt is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2007, 09:04 AM   #19
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan
When I was fighting my trainer always told me to keep your eyes firmly in place in your head. No matter how much fun it may be, do not remove them to play jokes on your gymmates. This can lead to susceptibility to the jab.
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2007, 12:47 PM   #20
gregsid
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan
When I was fighting my trainer always told me to keep your eyes firmly in place in your head. No matter how much fun it may be, do not remove them to play jokes on your gymmates. This can lead to susceptibility to the jab.
lol, yeah I didn't see this post. Dude, find yourself a new trainer now. I forgot how many bad trainers there are out there.
gregsid is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2007, 02:56 PM   #21
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Just look straight at him. Your peripheral is wide enough to see everything coming.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2007, 10:30 PM   #22
Butch Coolidge
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsid
This maybe be true in very early amauteurs (aka, haymakers), but from more experianced boxers (6months+, depends on boxer) you will get destoryed if you follow this advice. If you throw punches/combos by tilting your body in one direction or another, that is called bad technique (unless of course your rolling off the punches and countering). Especially because proper punches are thrown by rotation of the hips and shoulders.
Factoring in feints and different styles of boxing, it's just best to stay on your toes, don't hesitate, and watch for the tells. After a few months of sparing and training you will eventually get to the point where you body will be able to tell which punches are being thrown and move on its own.
And I don't know what your talking about calling the jab a nonleverage punch. The jab can be equally as deadly if not more deadly than the right hand.
My point is experienced boxers don't focus on one thing in particular, they just look at the opponent. I wouldn't concentrate on an opponent's legs too much at all unless he was going to kick me or something like that. I think looking at somebody's legs would probably get you KOed almost as fast as not paying any attention at all. This is coming from a guy who was trained by an ex fighter whose trainer also trained Joey Maxim.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:31 PM   #23
Butch Coolidge
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat
Just look straight at him. Your peripheral is wide enough to see everything coming.
That about says it all.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:57 AM   #24
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Quote:
That about says it all.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 10:44 AM   #25
HopkinsFan
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

I keep mine at their chest because of peripheral vision..
HopkinsFan is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 04:59 PM   #26
gregsid
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
My point is experienced boxers don't focus on one thing in particular, they just look at the opponent. I wouldn't concentrate on an opponent's legs too much at all unless he was going to kick me or something like that. I think looking at somebody's legs would probably get you KOed almost as fast as not paying any attention at all. This is coming from a guy who was trained by an ex fighter whose trainer also trained Joey Maxim.
Well obviously you didn't read what I wrote. I never said to stare at there legs, I even said doing so is not recommended at all. I just said if there is a moment during a weave or duck, where there arms/shoulders are out of view, then it is possible to tell the next punch coming from glancing at the legs and hips. This coming from someone who has boxed his whole life and has been trained by 2 professionals and is now a couch.
gregsid is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing