Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-01-2007, 03:16 PM   #16
Cojimar 1945
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Dick Tiger - Strong?

Manassa, why would you only pick Valdez to beat Tiger?
Cojimar 1945 is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 03:27 PM   #17
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojimar 1945
Manassa, why would you only pick Valdez to beat Tiger?
Valdez is the only fighter I pick to outfight Valdez. He was a lethal puncher, but unlike the big hitters Tiger faced, Valdez' defence was tight and he punched in exquisite combinations.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 04:29 PM   #18
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield
Tiger was as powerful as everyone on this thread has said.

He was the image of the large chiseled, black onyx figure in a boxing stance that greeted fans in the lobby of the old Madison Square Garden.

Oddly, in street clothes, because of his round shoulders -- thick traps -- like Azuma Nelson -- slumping posture and poorly-fitted jackets and pants, no one would have suspected him of being the intimidating physical specimen he was in trunks.

Also, I doubt if he was really 5'8", in spite of what I've read.
I read that Tiger was 5 7,he did dress poorly,but once said"dont judge me by the clothes I wear ,judge me by the clothes my children wear",any way Billy Papke,beat s the piss out of him ,and probably Frank Klaus too.
mcvey is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2007, 04:52 PM   #19
Ted Spoon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Of course, Tigers routinely attached Homburg would indeed make him appear taller than 5,8...
Ted Spoon is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 07:13 PM   #20
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Dick Tiger was very strong and that combined with his his great chin and methodical infighting/body punching attack made him a great champion as far as I'm concerned. His weakness was fast boxers with good left jabs. A writer once said that a "good trombone player could beat Dick Tiger", meaning, of course, that an effective jabber/boxer could likely beat him. Joey Giardello laid out the blueprint for beating Tiger, and that blueprint was followed very effectively by guys like Joey Archer and Emile Griffith. Nino Benvenuti must have had an off night against Tiger when he lost a decision to Tiger back in 1969, because he was surely capable of winning as he had the skills as well as a nice jab. All this is not to put down Dick Tiger as a great fighter, but it was a fact that he was troubled by jabbing boxers.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 07:22 PM   #21
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I would pick Tiger over many champs of the past who tended to be sluggers, like Jake LaMotta, Carmine Basilio, Tony Zale, Rocky Graziano, of course Vito Antuofermo, etc., and even sometimes I think he could beat Marvin Hagler, based on how he took Rubin Hurricane Carter apart back in 1965. I think, however Carlos Monzon would have decisioned him easily over 15, and so would have Rodrigo Valdez, though maybe not as easily. Valdez was capable of catlike quickness and cleverness, as demonstrated in his bouts with Bennie Briscoe, especially that second fight, which ended in the 7th by ko. Get a tape of that fight and just try to argue otherwise. If it weren't for Carlos Monzon, Valdez would have been a great and successful middleweight champion.
red cobra is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum