Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-31-2007, 03:58 AM   #16
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2137
Default Re: Most gifted heavyweight ever?

For me, it's a 3 way split between Tyson, Ali and Louis. I cannot decide which (if any) had the superior natural abilities. I used to think Tyson all the way, but now I'm not so sure.

Tyson had that amazing handspeed combined with crushing power. It's a rarity to find both in such extreme measures in a heavyweight. His killer instinct was second to none and he was also pretty accurate. Reflexes were razor sharp and chin was pretty solid.
The downside though was that he could only fight one way; he never made adjustments to his opponent's style or changed strategies in the ring.

Ali had equally fast hands and reflexes but his punch was just above mediocre. Accuracy was extraordinary though and he too had a pretty good natural killer instinct. In addition, Ali had immense natural stamina and innate toughness, something a Mike Tyson possibly lacked.
Although Ali never really adjusted his style to his opponents, he did sometimes alter fight his strategy to increase his chances of winning. In a nutshell, Ali could adapt. Lastly, I don't know if you could call his immeasurable confidence a 'talent' but it sure helped him in many of his fights.

In Louis, we have the probably the best two-handed puncher in heavyweight history, combined with superb accuracy, good hand speed and terrific power. Although some styles gave him trouble, Joe was perfect in rematches, showing his ability to adjust and make corrections where he needed to. His killer instincts and finishing abilities were almost unmatched.

What I could criticise in Louis was that although he was always better in rematches, if he found an opponent problematic he could not solve the riddle there and then, in the ring. He needed to go back,
re-evaluate his performance and see where he went wrong.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2007, 04:10 AM   #17
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Ali, then Tyson.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2007, 04:14 AM   #18
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury
For me, it's a 3 way split between Tyson, Ali and Louis. I cannot decide which (if any) had the superior natural abilities. I used to think Tyson all the way, but now I'm not so sure.

Tyson had that amazing handspeed combined with crushing power. It's a rarity to find both in such extreme measures in a heavyweight. His killer instinct was second to none and he was also pretty accurate. Reflexes were razor sharp and chin was pretty solid.
The downside though was that he could only fight one way; he never made adjustments to his opponent's style or changed strategies in the ring.

Ali had equally fast hands and reflexes but his punch was just above mediocre. Accuracy was extraordinary though and he too had a pretty good natural killer instinct. In addition, Ali had immense natural stamina and innate toughness, something a Mike Tyson possibly lacked.
Although Ali never really adjusted his style to his opponents, he did sometimes alter fight his strategy to increase his chances of winning. In a nutshell, Ali could adapt. Lastly, I don't know if you could call his immeasurable confidence a 'talent' but it sure helped him in many of his fights.

In Louis, we have the probably the best two-handed puncher in heavyweight history, combined with superb accuracy, good hand speed and terrific power. Although some styles gave him trouble, Joe was perfect in rematches, showing his ability to adjust and make corrections where he needed to. His killer instincts and finishing abilities were almost unmatched.

What I could criticise in Louis was that although he was always better in rematches, if he found an opponent problematic he could not solve the riddle there and then, in the ring. He needed to go back,
re-evaluate his performance and see where he went wrong.
Another superb post- well done. A spot on Top 3, though I'd also consider Archie Moore for the reckoning.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2007, 04:35 AM   #19
Carlos Primera
Martinez is a badman
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

tyson easy then ali
Carlos Primera is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2007, 05:10 AM   #20
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

When we talk gifted, are we speaking strictly physically, or mentally as well. If only physically then Tyson's right up there with the finest, but if the mental side comes in as well he drops down a level or two IMO.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2007, 05:42 AM   #21
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmt
Dempsey had amazing gifts
Agreed. He had a good combination of height, reach, speed, power, quickness, toughness, resilience, mobility, elusiveness, and resistance to cuts and swelling. Unlike Ali, he never had boxing related problems with his hands. Unlike Louis, he could also adapt to changing circumstances in mid match. When he encountered an unexpectedly difficult title defense against Brennan, he adjusted and took him out in 12. When Gibbons withstood his Sunday punch early on, Jack shifted into 15 round mode, and won going away.

Because of Tyson's lack of height and reach, I don't consider him to have been as gifted as many do.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2007, 07:10 AM   #22
MrSmall
Journeyman

Unsuprising someone SOMEHOW throws Wlad Klitschko into a thread concerning "most gifted heavyweight ever"
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2007, 12:02 PM   #23
nick wells jr
Journeyman

mike tyson,george foreman
nick wells jr is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2007, 12:33 PM   #24
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Chin Tyson? There are plenty of heavyweights who have better chin than him naturaly. But anyway, Mike Tyson. He easily could have been a top 3 heavyweight of all time. BUT he pissed all of his talent, oppertunities, and chances all away. Normaly I'd feel sorry for him, but most of it was his fault, which is why I don't.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2007, 04:45 AM   #25
Blacc Jesus
ESB Senior Member

Ali, Foreman, Tyson.
Blacc Jesus is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum