boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2007, 12:49 PM   #46
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17,263
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Like how Hatton fights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousity
I love his pressure, relentlessness, stamina, speed, bounciness, energy, attitude BUT I ****ING HATE HIS CLINCHING!!! So all in all his fighting style could be one of my fav's but as it is, its just OK or above average for me to watch.
yeah, but the clinching is part of the hatton gameplan...he dived in aggresively and clinched to avoid being hit...he then applied the bodyshots! Not nice, but effective, and certainly part of the successful fightplan.
Decebal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2007, 12:54 PM   #47
The Italarican
Pretty Good Poster
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 727
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Like how Hatton fights?

I respect him but don't particularly care to watch him fight. His grappling works, but it frustrates me. It just doesn't feel like boxing to me. It's his own style that I get people could love and find entertaining. For me, it's not that enjoyable to watch.
The Italarican is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:56 PM   #48
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17,263
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Like how Hatton fights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Italarican
I respect him but don't particularly care to watch him fight. His grappling works, but it frustrates me. It just doesn't feel like boxing to me. It's his own style that I get people could love and find entertaining. For me, it's not that enjoyable to watch.
Hatton against anyone will never be as exciting as Castillo against Corrales, for example...but then, not many fights will...ever...
Decebal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:01 PM   #49
The Italarican
Pretty Good Poster
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 727
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Like how Hatton fights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decebal
Hatton against anyone will never be as exciting as Castillo against Corrales, for example...but then, not many fights will...ever...
The thing is that I REALLY want to like Hatton because I love boxers who go to the body. If he'd throw more and stop smothering and grappling, it'd work for me more. Of course, if he did that he may not be Hatton. I wouldn't have him change much because it works for him so well. I just wish it didn't frustrate me to watch him fight because he has a lot going for him inside and outside the ring.
The Italarican is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:03 PM   #50
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17,263
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Like how Hatton fights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Italarican
The thing is that I REALLY want to like Hatton because I love boxers who go to the body. If he'd throw more and stop smothering and grappling, it'd work for me more. Of course, if he did that he may not be Hatton. I wouldn't have him change much because it works for him so well. I just wish it didn't frustrate me to watch him fight because he has a lot going for him inside and outside the ring.
well, as you say...he would have to be less aggressive if the didn't dive in KNOWING that he will then clinch and grapple...also he couldn't use his bodyshots so effectively if he were less aggressive, because opponents would protect themselves better...even hit back...
Decebal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:07 PM   #51
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,267
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Like how Hatton fights?

I was in a room with about ten other people and we all loved it and cheered every step of the way. It was culminated with a ko which resulted in all of us bundling each other in celebration. So yeah, I guess I do like it when a guys in your face, bringing the pain and finishing a fight brutally but making it look scientific.

Yeah Hatton clinches, he's a mauler and brawler. This ain't a tickling contest. This ain't ballet, this is boxing. Hatton comes to fight for 12 rounds.

Plus it ain't a Hatton fight unless he gets hit. Hattons major problem is he doesn't really have a defence. He knows how to do everything but he doesn't implement it in the ring. He doesn't have the patience to. He is wild and mauling and brawling so he has no time to defend.

There's only one Ricky Fatton! Tszyu and Castillo will attest to that.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:17 PM   #52
The Italarican
Pretty Good Poster
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 727
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Like how Hatton fights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat
Yeah Hatton clinches, he's a mauler and brawler. This ain't a tickling contest. This ain't ballet, this is boxing.
See, to me it doesn't feel like boxing, though. It's something else with the clinching maneuvers and smothering.
The Italarican is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:48 PM   #53
EpsilonAxis
HNIC
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pop pop pop!
Posts: 3,250
vCash: 2296
Default Re: Like how Hatton fights?

Some of his fights have been stinkers.

But usually, like last night, his style is great.
EpsilonAxis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:12 PM   #54
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,363
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Like how Hatton fights?

Watched Ali Foreman on ESPN classic the other night. All Ali did was clinch and hit and hold, but that goes down in history as an all time great performance. Hatton fights another come forward fighter, in a match where the clinch is going to be an inevitable factor (whoever the two come forward fighters are) initiates the clinch less than 50% of the time and get slated for it.

BULL****
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:22 PM   #55
Lar Janus
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Confederacy
Posts: 167
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Like how Hatton fights?

I like Ricky Hatton, think he's a stand-up guy, trains his ass off, shows much love to his fans, is pretty clever, and respectful. That said, its hard to overlook his grappling style of boxing (in his two biggest fights, KT & JLC) and the FACT that he's gotten favorable treatment from the refs in BOTH of the above-mentioned fights.

I was VERY disappointed w/last night's fight! JLC looked a little wobbly, the first couple of rounds, but when he DOES start working his way into the fight, in the third, Joe "I'm fair but firm" [BULL****!] Cortez--after having said in front of EVERYONE that Hatton's shorts were high--starts warning JLC for phantom low blows! There were shades of Manchester and KT, when Hatton looked over at Cortez, after getting hit with a shot clearly NOT low, as if to say, "Hey, mate, you're not gonna let him hit me with body shots, are you?" . Then, at the beginning of the fourth he IMMEDIATELY deducts a point for a shot that wasn't even close to being low! Hatton, meanwhile, contrary to BOXING rules, uses non-stop grappling to maul JLC--with ZERO warnings from Joe "I'm a tool" Cortez. So, we have a fight where one fighter (JLC) is not allowed to throw body-shots, while the other can hold/hit, at will.

I think JLC knew the 'fix' was in, and that he was gonna get DQ'd, if he tried to work the body--which HAD to be a big part of his game plan. I believe Hatton landed a great body shot, but that JLC just stayed down. I hate to see that, and even SAY it, but the bias was unmistakable. Boxing is getting to be as bad as pro-wrestling. It's getting harder and harder to support it, and I've lost a TON of respect (like it HAD much left, anyways!) for the sport with **** like PBF/DLH, Spinks/JT, and, now, Hatton/JLC.

For the Hatton fans: again, don't get me wrong, nothing against Hatton--he's just maximizing the advantages he's being given--he's a class act, outside the ring, and does what he has to, to win, inside. Its just a side effect of the crookedness of the sanctioning bodies, networks, promoters, judges, and referees--that have become the norm in boxing.
Lar Janus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:40 PM   #56
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,267
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Like how Hatton fights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Italarican
See, to me it doesn't feel like boxing, though. It's something else with the clinching maneuvers and smothering.
It's mauling and brawling. That's his style. Sometimes it can lead to average fights like Urango BUT Tszyu and Castillo were great fights.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 03:14 PM   #57
Expert
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 175
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Like how Hatton fights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Italarican
See, to me it doesn't feel like boxing, though. It's something else with the clinching maneuvers and smothering.
Yes, when Hatton fights it aint boxing.
Expert is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 04:02 PM   #58
ron u.k.
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sunderland
Posts: 2,463
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Like how Hatton fights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL BULLY
Watched Ali Foreman on ESPN classic the other night. All Ali did was clinch and hit and hold, but that goes down in history as an all time great performance. Hatton fights another come forward fighter, in a match where the clinch is going to be an inevitable factor (whoever the two come forward fighters are) initiates the clinch less than 50% of the time and get slated for it.

BULL****
they really havn't got a clue.in numerous old fight films they're at it greats like robinson,moore,ali and numerous others it used to be called tying your opponent up. nobody gave a f*** about it because it was considered a legitimate part of the game.really these whingers know nothing.
ron u.k. is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015