Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-23-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
DFW
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Denny Moyer

How many remember him? He had a long career from the fifties all the way into the seventies. He captured the Jr Middleweight title with a win over Joey Giambra. He fought Griffith, Robinson, DeMarco, Rodriguez, Jordan, Akins, Dupas, Monzon and countless other excellent fighters and always gave the fans their money's worth.
DFW is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
ray fredrickson
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Denny Moyer

One of alltime favorites!!!! He fought everybody!! I nearly cried when Looie Rodriquez kod him in 9 at Miami Beach!!!
ray fredrickson is offline  Top
Old 04-23-2009, 10:44 PM   #3
hhascup
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW View Post
How many remember him? He had a long career from the fifties all the way into the seventies. He captured the Jr Middleweight title with a win over Joey Giambra. He fought Griffith, Robinson, DeMarco, Rodriguez, Jordan, Akins, Dupas, Monzon and countless other excellent fighters and always gave the fans their money's worth.
A while back his relative of Denny's came to a New Jersey Boxing Hall of Fame meeting and interviewed me. They are doing a documentary on the Moyer family.

Denny was rated in the Top 10 by Ring Magazine from April 1959 to June 1972, for a total of 99 months. I remember when he was still unbeaten and not yet 20 years old and was fighting Don Jordan for the Welterweight Championship of the World.

A technically masterful fighter with "movie star looks," Denny Moyer is generally regarded as the finest boxer to ever come out of the State of Oregon. Nephew of National AAU champion Tommy Moyer and younger brother of professional boxer Phil Moyer, Denny Moyer became a national Amateur Champion in 1957, making a good start as a pro. He fought [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] for the world welterweight title on July 7, 1959, after just 21 professional bouts, in his home town of Portland. Moyer was outpointed, making the world title shot his first defeat. He continued to box in the best company for two years, and then won the vacant light middleweight title by gaining a points win over [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. After two successful defenses, he lost the title to [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] on points. Moyer became a middleweight and in 1970 won the American middleweight title by out pointing [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. He lost and regained this title, then challenged [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] for the world crown in Rome, but was stopped in five rounds. Moyer continued to fight for another three years before retiring in 1975.

After his boxing career, Moyer worked in real estate and owned a construction company. The family members that came to that meeting, told was in a Portland nursing home.
hhascup is offline  Top
Old 04-23-2009, 10:45 PM   #4
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW View Post
Denny Moyer - How many remember him? He had a long career from the fifties all the way into the seventies. He captured the Jr Middleweight title with a win over Joey Giambra. He fought Griffith, Robinson, DeMarco, Rodriguez, Jordan, Akins, Dupas, Monzon and countless other excellent fighters and always gave the fans their money's worth.
Do remember him paying us a visit (Australia) in 1972. He was already about 33 by then and was stopped by Tony Mundine on cuts.

Mundine had a win over Griffith about a year later but along the way was stopped by Rodriguez, Monzon & Briscoe.
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
AREA 53
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Denny certainly has one of the richest quality of resume ever - And he fought some of these quality men more them once ! remarkable quality fighter !

I remember his loss to Monzon, Denny had been through a rough couple of spells, and was probably booked for defeat a few rounds down the road, but as i recall the Ref stopped the fight when Denny was hitting back art Monzon. - the Ring magazine headlined the fight "Roman Scandle"

Even at the End of Denny's Career he was match with good upcoming prospects

He is the type of Fighter who should have a autiobiography out and be interviewed by the journalistic fight ferternity - i am sure he has many great stories and recollections.
AREA 53 is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2009, 08:54 AM   #6
flamengo
Coool as a Cucumber.
East Side Guru

Location: Have removed the 20a87 troll virus 'coz it sux cocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA 53 View Post
Denny certainly has one of the richest quality of resume ever - And he fought some of these quality men more them once ! remarkable quality fighter !

I remember his loss to Monzon, Denny had been through a rough couple of spells, and was probably booked for defeat a few rounds down the road, but as i recall the Ref stopped the fight when Denny was hitting back art Monzon. - the Ring magazine headlined the fight "Roman Scandle"

Even at the End of Denny's Career he was match with good upcoming prospects

He is the type of Fighter who should have a autiobiography out and be interviewed by the journalistic fight ferternity - i am sure he has many great stories and recollections.

Great speal, and a greater thought of mention....... There's a bunch of Champs, contenders and memorable fights that are worth reading about mate. The stories are incredible, and not worth missing. Even words from the wifes of great boxers are amazing to listen too. Seriously, they see the fighters life closer than journalists, and know the dark sides even more so.... and speak of it without prejudice.

Too often we find 'ghosted autobiographies' of blokes who are still fighting, being printed. Its been a long time since a great fighter has released a 'warts and all' account of his life.

There are definately some, even lesser knowns from the 50's-80's that have amazing accounts to reveal.
flamengo is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #7
catasyou
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

I thought he beat Robinson at the Garden in the first fight.
catasyou is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #8
ray fredrickson
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Thunder I thought that too ,I was just startin boxin!!Anybody know mucha about Moyer clan?? I remember he had Brother Phil pretty darn good middle, beat Sugar Ray at ol LA WrigleyField in62. Fought Obdulio Nunez, Floro Fernandez, Rocky Rivero. Thanks you guys know so much I really learn & enjoy you insights!!..
ray fredrickson is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2009, 12:37 PM   #9
flamengo
Coool as a Cucumber.
East Side Guru

Location: Have removed the 20a87 troll virus 'coz it sux cocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray fredrickson View Post
Thunder I thought that too ,I was just startin boxin!!Anybody know mucha about Moyer clan?? I remember he had Brother Phil pretty darn good middle, beat Sugar Ray at ol LA WrigleyField in62. Fought Obdulio Nunez, Floro Fernandez, Rocky Rivero. Thanks you guys know so much I really learn & enjoy you insights!!..
He did fight Ralph Dupas a couple of times... and De Marco, Who's this 'Robinson' guy ya talking about????
flamengo is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2009, 01:51 PM   #10
catasyou
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray fredrickson View Post
Thr Robinson fight was a robbery IMO but whatever,he got'em in the rematch.Altough prime Ray toys with him,that version lost IMO.
catasyou is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2009, 05:13 PM   #11
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

He was OK. Good technical boxer, fairly tough, not a puncher. I remember him getting crushed by Luis Rodriguez, and his horrendously dull fight with Don Jordan (his first title challenge I believe). Beat a somewhat faded Joey Giambra to become the first ever jr. middleweight champ. I thought he lost to Robinson the first time, but he beat him fair and square in the rematch (and dropped him too I believe), which is notable in that it finally brought an end to Robby's days as a serious top contender. He was past his prime (but still rated) when he was given a shot at Monzon, and he acquitted himself well before getting screwed by an Argentine ref.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2010, 03:10 PM   #12
Denise Moyer

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhascup View Post
A while back his relative of Denny's came to a New Jersey Boxing Hall of Fame meeting and interviewed me. They are doing a documentary on the Moyer family.

Denny was rated in the Top 10 by Ring Magazine from April 1959 to June 1972, for a total of 99 months. I remember when he was still unbeaten and not yet 20 years old and was fighting Don Jordan for the Welterweight Championship of the World.

A technically masterful fighter with "movie star looks," Denny Moyer is generally regarded as the finest boxer to ever come out of the State of Oregon. Nephew of National AAU champion Tommy Moyer and younger brother of professional boxer Phil Moyer, Denny Moyer became a national Amateur Champion in 1957, making a good start as a pro. He fought [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] for the world welterweight title on July 7, 1959, after just 21 professional bouts, in his home town of Portland. Moyer was outpointed, making the world title shot his first defeat. He continued to box in the best company for two years, and then won the vacant light middleweight title by gaining a points win over [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. After two successful defenses, he lost the title to [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] on points. Moyer became a middleweight and in 1970 won the American middleweight title by out pointing [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. He lost and regained this title, then challenged [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] for the world crown in Rome, but was stopped in five rounds. Moyer continued to fight for another three years before retiring in 1975.

After his boxing career, Moyer worked in real estate and owned a construction company. The family members that came to that meeting, told was in a Portland nursing home.
My dad is 70 years old and remains tough as ever. I would like to see this documentary of the Moyer family. I have always been his biggest fan. Denise Moyer
Denise Moyer is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2010, 10:35 PM   #13
timmers612
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Denny is 70?! Oh gee how times just moves so fast. It seems yesterday he was up here in Minnesota giving our Pat O'Conner a lesson on infighting. How can some be in the International hall of fame and not Denny. I would have loved to see the rest of the Monzon bout unfold, I believe Denny had a decent chance.
timmers612 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum