Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-31-2007, 01:53 PM   #1
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default George Foreman vs Ray Mercer 1992

How do you see it going? I would see Mercer doing some damage in the first 5 rounds, and Foreman giving it back. I guess it would be battle of the chins.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2007, 02:23 PM   #2
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1230
Default Re: George Foreman vs Ray Mercer 1992

Mercer outworks him. Solid chin and has a better work rate than 90s Foreman. While he may not stop him I see him get a clear UD.
ironchamp is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 08:22 AM   #3
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
vCash: 300

Briggs met Ray when he was a very old man...

Evander made Mercer take a knee..

George was knocked down by a light punching Jimmy Young while in his prime..

for gods sake Shultz battered George.. (fixed event)

Morrison beat GF...
Ray killed Morrison....

George was outhustled in realism by Alex Stewart..

Ray in his prime as was stated (1992)

Ray would have had far too much for George..

Mercer v Wlad / Briggs was 15 years after the optimum time frame..
Ray has no business in the ring nowadays..

George v Ray is a bad match in 92.. Ray wins mostly because he could box more capably than George aropnd that time.. 1992 Ray takes an easy points win..
Bigcat is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 11:34 AM   #4
godking
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave krieg
Mercers chin?I could of sworn Holyfield knocked him down in their fight and a younger in his prime Holyfield couldnt knock down Foreman .How about Briggs vs Mercer?Briggs knocked Mercer out while a younger faster and better shaped Briggs couldnt do squat vs a 48 year old Foreman.
You know Alex Stewart was a pretty good boxer right?He gave Holyfield hell in their first fights.Stewerts problem was if you could get to him early you could get him out but if he managed to last a few rounds he could be dangerous.Not to mention Foreman came into that fight in bad shape probably because he figured if Moorer could knock out Stewart then he could.Against Mercer a fighter he probably would have more respect for he would come in better shape and if he did he wouldnt have much probably with Mercer.Mercer isnt fast.His defense isnt really that great and its not like he has great power.He would have nothing to keep a old Foreman from plodding forward.If Holyfield could drop him then Foreman could stop him.
Mercer is better then any of the guys George fought on route to his titleshot . Mercer was actually a ranked and dangerous contender not a Jourenyman like the guys George was fighting in the 90s.
godking is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2007, 01:36 AM   #5
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabby Gut
This would have been interesting. Foreman struggled mightily with Alex Stewart in April 1992 after looking like he was going kayo him early. People were urging big George to hang them up as his face was swollen and his eyes were mere slits after that close call. I think Foreman would be more prepared for Mercer because he is more of a threat. It would be an excellent fight with lots of action. Foreman's poleaxe of a jab is what carries him to victory. Like Larry Holmes always said: a great jab makes an old fighter young.

Foreman by a razor-close decision.
I think I would have to agree with you here. I think George's jab would have given a guy like Mercer fits. Mercer, at least the 92' version, was not as polished or skillful as he was against Lennox Lewis or Evander Holyfield later in his career. Mercer seemed to improve his technique and his boxing skill as he got older, but in '92 he was very beatable. I think George does a number on him with his jab, and he would probably win a close decision.

But how far Mercer has fallen now. He gets taken out by a glorifed backyard fighter in Kimbo Slice!
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2007, 01:58 AM   #6
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Mercer by close decision in an exciting fight
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2007, 06:01 AM   #7
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Mercer was good back in those days but was terribly inconsistent.
He'd beat a Tommy Morrison then lose to an old Larry Holmes or a mediocre Jesse Ferguson.
He was tough but he wasn't all that skilled (even Damiani was whipping him before Ray stopped him) and he was never a defensive genius,which I think Foreman could exploit with his brutal jab.
George would score enough with the jab and occasional clubbing right hand to take some close,hard fought rounds.Mercer get's his fair share of punches in but I see Georges strength tiring Ray out late and allowing George to take a narrow decision.
young griffo is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2007, 07:40 AM   #8
Doppleganger
Il Genio
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ74
But how far Mercer has fallen now. He gets taken out by a glorifed backyard fighter in Kimbo Slice!
That wasn't a boxing match though. Mercer lost because it appeared he had done very little MMA training whilst by contrast Kimbo had done quite a bit. In a straight-up boxing match Mercer would probably beat Kimbo though it's by no means certain considering how faded Mercer is now.
Doppleganger is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2007, 05:09 PM   #9
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by young griffo
his brutal jab.

It was more of a hard, one armed, push than a jab. It was slow, plodding, and had very little snap.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2007, 09:38 PM   #10
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234
It was more of a hard, one armed, push than a jab. It was slow, plodding, and had very little snap.
Brutal mightn't be the best word but it was a very hard and jolting punch and upset a lot of fighters rhythm when they fought George.

He landed 3 of them in a row on Ron Lyle which led to the stoppage in their fight (although exhaustion played a part as well),which shows it could definately hurt.

Foreman's jab wasn't brutal in the sense that Sonny Listons or Larry's was but it was a very effective punch but I'll concede the point that brutal isn't the best term to describe it.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #11
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Foreman was a better boxer in the 90's and had better stamina, I think the strong chinned Mercer had a better chance with the Foreman of the 70's because of mercer's ability to take a shot and Foremans inability to pace himself or lack of stamina but in the 90's I could see Foreman outjabbing the limited Mercer and landing enough hard punches to keep him honest and at bay for a ud in 10-12...the Mercer of the 90's vs a 70 version Froeman, could win by ko 8-12 rounds over a younger Foreman
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2007, 10:05 PM   #12
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by young griffo
Brutal mightn't be the best word but it was a very hard and jolting punch and upset a lot of fighters rhythm when they fought George.

He landed 3 of them in a row on Ron Lyle which led to the stoppage in their fight (although exhaustion played a part as well),which shows it could definately hurt.

Foreman's jab wasn't brutal in the sense that Sonny Listons or Larry's was but it was a very effective punch but I'll concede the point that brutal isn't the best term to describe it.

Good description of it, but didn't Foreman KO Lyle with a series of uppercuts?
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2007, 10:33 PM   #13
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234
Good description of it, but didn't Foreman KO Lyle with a series of uppercuts?
Yeah he finished Ron in the corner with clubbing rights and uppercuts but earlier in the 5th when Lyle was still on top Foreman landed a series of jabs which swung the fights momentum back in his favour from memory.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum