Old 08-28-2007, 08:27 AM   #91
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mediocre fighters with great one-punch-power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
I mean not elite fighters who were great allround-punchers like Ike Williams, Joe Louis, etc. for example, I mean for example mediocre journeymen, clubfighters, at the best contenders who were very dangerous, when they land something good and precise that the lights were out, here some examples:

Charley Retzlaff
Bert Cooper
Fred Fulton
Eduardo Lausse
Vick Patrick
I'm going to have to pull you up on Vic Patrick here Luigi.

Yes he had great power but he wasn't mediocre by any stretch of the imagination.He was a somewhat awkward southpaw who by all accounts looked to be clumsy but this style worked for him.He basically pawed with the right hand,using it as a range finder,before zeroing in with his devastating left hand which generally ended the fight soon after.

He compiled a 52-4-1 (45) ko's record in a particularly strong era for Australian boxing and beat top local talents like Tommy Burns,Hockey Bennell,Eddie Miller and ex-World champ Tod Morgan.His loss to 40's Lightweight contender Freddie Dawson is reputed to be one of the best fights in Australian boxing history and this fight occured a few years past Vic's prime.

If the war hadn't intervened Vic may have made an impact on an international level but either way his record shows him to be a very good fighter.

Darryl Pinckney is a better example of a mediocre fighter who possessed great one punch power I think.
young griffo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2007, 09:07 AM   #92
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by young griffo

Yes he had great power but he wasn't mediocre by any stretch of the imagination.He was a somewhat awkward southpaw who by all accounts looked to be clumsy but this style worked for him.He basically pawed with the right hand,using it as a range finder,before zeroing in with his devastating left hand which generally ended the fight soon after.

He compiled a 52-4-1 (45) ko's record in a particularly strong era for Australian boxing and beat top local talents like Tommy Burns,Hockey Bennell,Eddie Miller and ex-World champ Tod Morgan.His loss to 40's Lightweight contender Freddie Dawson is reputed to be one of the best fights in Australian boxing history and this fight occured a few years past Vic's prime.

If the war hadn't intervened Vic may have made an impact on an international level but either way his record shows him to be a very good fighter.

Darryl Pinckney is a better example of a mediocre fighter who possessed great one punch power I think.

Yes, I know that he was a good fighter, but, with the word mediocre I meant for the world class, Bert Cooper for example fought so many very good fighters, fought for the World Title, floored the champion Holyfield, etc., he wasn´t mediocre for his time, but I meant when we compare them with the best ever (ATG´s), than they´re mediocre IMO...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 10:25 AM   #93
nick wells jr
Journeyman

by the way john thomas,you hands down always have the best avatars.good lord,she makes me feel kinda funny,like when we used to climb the rope in gym class.
nick wells jr is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 10:40 AM   #94
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick wells jr
by the way john thomas,you hands down always have the best avatars.good lord,she makes me feel kinda funny,like when we used to climb the rope in gym class.
Hahaha

JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 08:09 PM   #95
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

Amado Ursua and David Sotelo come to mind. Both were mediocre fighters, but they could punch damn hard, especially Sotelo.
Raging B(_)LL is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2007, 07:55 AM   #96
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by young griffo

I remember reading an Aussie boxing mag ,witha column penned by a Vick Patrick ,was it the same guy?
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2007, 09:21 AM   #97
bumdujour
Contender
ESB Senior Member

darryl pinckney was a pretty good puncher. dispite going 24-42, he ko´d future champs junior jones and guty espadas.
bumdujour is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2007, 09:22 AM   #98
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey
I remember reading an Aussie boxing mag ,witha column penned by a Vick Patrick ,was it the same guy?
I'm guessing it would've been.

He was involved in Australian boxing as a referee,judge and critic for years and his opinion held a lot of weight once upon a time.
Unfortunately he's largely forgotten now and his death last year (?) caused barely a ripple in the Australian media,which is a shame I think.

Personally I rate him in the top dozen or so Aussie fighters of all time.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:24 AM   #99
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumdujour
darryl pinckney was a pretty good puncher. dispite going 24-42, he ko´d future champs junior jones and guty espadas.
Exactly.
He was mediocre in every respect except for his power which always had to be respected.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:11 AM   #100
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I'm gonna say, even if it's already been said, Danny Nardico. He was probably considered a mediocre boxer, but he sure had 1 punch power, since he was THE MAN who decked Jake LaMotta.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 09:25 AM   #101
frankwornank
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

[FROM WORNANK, FRANKIE SURE COULD PUNCHquote=Tony]Frankie DePaula.[/quote]
frankwornank is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 09:31 AM   #102
frankwornank
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I RESPECT THE COURAGE FIGHTERS HAVE AND DONT LIKE THE TERM MEDIOCRE. WHEN I THINK OF ONE PUNCH GUYS I THINK OF EDUARDO LAUSSE AND BOB SATTERFIELD. THEY WERE NOT CHAMPS BUT THEY WERE GOOD FIGHTERS WITH TREMENDOUS PUNCHING POWER. WHEN I THINK OF GUYS THAT PUT HARD PUNCHES TOGETHER I THINK OF FRANKIE DEPAULA.
frankwornank is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2007, 11:27 AM   #103
nick wells jr
Journeyman

.[/quote]
nick wells jr is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2007, 07:50 PM   #104
Mike T
Contender
ESB Senior Member