Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-05-2007, 07:57 AM   #1
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238
Default Max Schmeling vs Harry Greb

Hard to judge because there is no real film on Greb, but what do you guys think? Taking into account styles, ring records, newspaper accounts, size, etc.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2007, 08:03 AM   #2
Sweet Science
Peaceful Muslim Warrior
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Max Schmeling vs Harry Greb

Like you suggest it is very hard to definitively assess Greb due to lack of footage. However, newspaper accounts, views of notable historians etc suggest that Greb was the more impressive and remarkable of the two. But then we also have to consider the fact that Schmeling was naturally a lot beigger than Greb. Unfortunately at the moment I couldn't give a worthy opinion of the outcome. I need to do more detailed research on Greb if I'm being honest. Maybe some one with greater experience would care to offer an opinion.
Sweet Science is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2007, 08:05 AM   #3
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Let's say they both have proper time to prepare - what weight do you think Greb would come in at? I bet he wouldn't be far below 175.

Anyway,I'm picking Schmeling.

I think the first real hurdle, and maybe the most important, for anyone going in with Greb is the mental adjustment. Harry's an insanely busy fighter with speed who can't be discouraged with violence, at least in the normal way. No problems for Max there, i'm sure he'd be fine.

Second, Max has the right best punch, if you see what I mean. He also has wonderful wonderful timing. An overhand right fired properly and with timing into a big middleweight is going to do damage. Taking into accoung Greb's rep as the ultimate pressure fighter also means you have to deduce Max won't have a huge amount of difficulty finding his man - despite Greb's reputation for great speed. Finally, it is my opinion that Greb cannot stop Schmeling and over a 15 round distance and I just can't imagine a situation where this big hitter doesn't catch Greb clean and on the way in.

Schmeling by KO, I wouldn't be interested in picking a round.
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 09-05-2007, 08:36 AM   #4
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Let's say they both have proper time to prepare - what weight do you think Greb would come in at? I bet he wouldn't be far below 175.

Anyway,I'm picking Schmeling.

I think the first real hurdle, and maybe the most important, for anyone going in with Greb is the mental adjustment. Harry's an insanely busy fighter with speed who can't be discouraged with violence, at least in the normal way. No problems for Max there, i'm sure he'd be fine.

Second, Max has the right best punch, if you see what I mean. He also has wonderful wonderful timing. An overhand right fired properly and with timing into a big middleweight is going to do damage. Taking into accoung Greb's rep as the ultimate pressure fighter also means you have to deduce Max won't have a huge amount of difficulty finding his man - despite Greb's reputation for great speed. Finally, it is my opinion that Greb cannot stop Schmeling and over a 15 round distance and I just can't imagine a situation where this big hitter doesn't catch Greb clean and on the way in.

Schmeling by KO, I wouldn't be interested in picking a round.
This is pretty much how i see it. I think Greb will start off pretty well but eventually be wore down and the fight might end like Schemling-Walker, only a bit later, and hopefully for Greb, with a more merciful referee/corner.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2007, 08:39 AM   #5
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
This is pretty much how i see it. I think Greb will start off pretty well but eventually be wore down and the fight might end like Schemling-Walker, only a bit later, and hopefully for Greb, with a more merciful referee/corner.

Yes - I should add that if Max panics having lost, say four of the first five rounds, he could lose this one. But I think he would be OK.
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 09-05-2007, 08:46 AM   #6
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Thatīs a missmatch for Greb IMO, I would favour him against lot of mediocre "Superheavyweights" for example, but Max was a high class fighter. I coul see Greb winning most of the first rounds because of his fast, tricky and dirty style, but after some Schmelingīs right hands counters, even for a world class MW chin like Greb had, itīs good night...

Schmeling TKO 8 Greb
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2007, 08:52 AM   #7
Pete47
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

In his autobiography Max Schmeling wrote, that he liked opponents who were pressure fighters. Against Harry Greb he would also have an advantage in height and weight. These are Schmelings strong points in such a fight. It is hard to rate Greb, because I did not see a film of him in action. Max would probably be the favourite among the betters.
Pete47 is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2007, 05:05 PM   #8
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

While broadly agreeing with the points made up to now I think Greb would be a verry game underdog and if he won I would not be shocked.
janitor is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum