Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-06-2007, 06:04 PM   #1
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Pipino Cuevas vs Rocky Graziano

Two welterweight bombers with no defence whatsoever, one preffered the left hook, the other the overhand right, who wins?

I`ve been debating this one for a few days now, and cannot come to a definite conclusion other than this is one of those fights that you can bet the house on the fight not lasting the distance.

Pipino always came storming out of the gates, as did Rocky, but I do think Pipino had the slightly better handspeed which might be the deciding factor here. I think his left hook will find its mark before Rocky`s right hand does, but since both men had such a porous defence I say it`s a toss up as to who lands first.

What says the classic forum?
Raging B(_)LL is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2007, 06:15 PM   #2
Fullcontact5238

Default Re: Pipino Cuevas vs Rocky Graziano

yea but rocky never really fought at 147, he always fought welterweights that fought up at middle weight
Fullcontact5238 is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2007, 06:17 PM   #3
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Great matchup. IMO Cuevas had the better chin, but Graziano was the harder puncher. What a war that would have been. I pick Graziano, because he showed against bigger opponents what he had...

Graziano KO 8 Cuevas
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2007, 09:10 PM   #4
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabby Gut
Rocky feasted on welterweights. He knocked out a murderous-punching welter named Al 'Bummy' Davis in the 4th round among others.

Graziano KO 3 Cuevas

Pipino Cuevas is a great fighter too but this is just the kind of fight it would be. It would end quickly and violently.
Rocky was reffered to by a sportswriter of the day as the best middleweight in the welterweight division, and there is some truth to that. Rocky was a natural jr. middleweight, and weighed in between 153-158 for most of his career, so he was naturally bigger then many of the name welterweight fighters who moved up to face him.

Cuevas would be no exception, but Rocky never faced a puncher like Pipino save for Bummy Davis, who did send Rocky to the mat in their fight. Cuevas punched just as hard as Davis if not moreso, and if he gets to Rocky first he can take him out.

Rocky was always dangerous with the right, but he telegraphed it like nobody`s business and I think Pipino`s hook would catch him first the more I think of it. He was very fast with that left hook/uppercut of his, and Rocky`s chin was always an inviting target for the left hook and it wasn`t exactly made of granite either.

But I will concede that if he lands his homerun right, he can turn the fight around in his favour in an instant. Rocky is the bigger guy and the harder hitter, but he had such a leaky defence and was so predictable that Pipino would nail him first with something big and get him out of there. I agree with you that it would end quickly and violently, but in Pipino`s favour more often than not.
Raging B(_)LL is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2007, 12:52 AM   #5
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Cuevas never fought at Middleweight.
la-califa is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2007, 07:39 AM   #6
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging B(_)LL
Rocky was reffered to by a sportswriter of the day as the best middleweight in the welterweight division, and there is some truth to that. Rocky was a natural jr. middleweight, and weighed in between 153-158 for most of his career, so he was naturally bigger then many of the name welterweight fighters who moved up to face him.

Cuevas would be no exception, but Rocky never faced a puncher like Pipino save for Bummy Davis, who did send Rocky to the mat in their fight. Cuevas punched just as hard as Davis if not moreso, and if he gets to Rocky first he can take him out.

Rocky was always dangerous with the right, but he telegraphed it like nobody`s business and I think Pipino`s hook would catch him first the more I think of it. He was very fast with that left hook/uppercut of his, and Rocky`s chin was always an inviting target for the left hook and it wasn`t exactly made of granite either.

But I will concede that if he lands his homerun right, he can turn the fight around in his favour in an instant. Rocky is the bigger guy and the harder hitter, but he had such a leaky defence and was so predictable that Pipino would nail him first with something big and get him out of there. I agree with you that it would end quickly and violently, but in Pipino`s favour more often than not.
I agree with this. Welterweights extended Graziano into the tenth round on several occasions, and Cuevas was a proven 15 round performer. Pipino could have certainly beaten Rocky to the punch with his hook, doubling or even tripling up on it. Graziano didn't react too well to Zale's body assault (few besides Ali the Megalomaniac could have), and Jose had a good downstairs attack. In their final confrontation, Zale nearly decapitated Graziano with that final left hook which regained the title for Tony.

Graziano wouldn't have the luxury Hearns enjoyed against Cuevas, of being able to hit without getting hit in return. In order to extend Pipino, it was also very helpful to possess a modicum of defensive ability superior to what Rocky generally displayed. Graziano's face could also be busted up to a point, a vulnerability Cuevas was not noted for being susceptible to.

Rocky Graziano's right was as much of a ball on chain as anybody's right hand ever was, but Pipino's hook would likely get there first, more often than not.

This would definitely keep viewers on the edge of their seats, because anything could happen with these two at any time, but this is the best educated guess I can conjure up. There's never any substitute for putting something like this in the ring though, so this can lamentably be nothing more than pure, rampant conjecture.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2007, 11:56 AM   #7
rodney
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Not a close fight.
Rocky by KO in 2.
rodney is offline  Top
Old 04-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Rocky would be a little too much for Pipino to deal with.After a couple of shaky rounds, Rocky asserts himself and ends it in the sixth round.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 04-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #9
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Rocky would have to be pulled away from a defenseless Cuevas once he got going.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 04-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Rocky Graziano who I saw many times was truly a MW 153-5 at his best..Though wild
and crude his size and sheer viciousness would certainly overcome the smaller left hooks of Cuevas in my opinion. For some posters to say Rocky had a "weak chin". WRONG...
I saw a young Graziano take dozens of powerful blasts from a tremendous young puncher
named Billy Arnold, who was called the "New Joe Louis", and had kod almost everyone in 43 or so bouts...Rocky was hit flush on the chin ,kept his feet and flattened Arnold...
Graziano too strong for the 147 Cuevas, survives his left-hook , streetfights Cuevas for a 7rd ko IMO...
burt bienstock is online now  Top
Old 04-17-2013, 01:56 AM   #11
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Graziano by KO
ETM is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #12
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
Rocky Graziano who I saw many times was truly a MW 153-5 at his best..Though wild
and crude his size and sheer viciousness would certainly overcome the smaller left hooks of Cuevas in my opinion. For some posters to say Rocky had a "weak chin". WRONG...
I saw a young Graziano take dozens of powerful blasts from a tremendous young puncher
named Billy Arnold, who was called the "New Joe Louis", and had kod almost everyone in 43 or so bouts...Rocky was hit flush on the chin ,kept his feet and flattened Arnold...
Graziano too strong for the 147 Cuevas, survives his left-hook , streetfights Cuevas for a 7rd ko IMO...
Pretty much sums it up...
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #13
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging B(_)LL View Post
who wins??
the crowd
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #14
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

RG in 2 or 3.
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #15
jdempsey85
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
Theres a clip of that ko in the espn sports century doc,shame the whole fight is not available
jdempsey85 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum