Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 09-06-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
shiner
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Lewis says Green can beat tarver

does anyone care what he says anymore. trying to jump back on the band wagon hey after telling him to retire?! can someone get him a wheel chair and send him to a home where he belongs. guess he is still filthy at the dollars lost when he said green couldn't fight and he would never train him.

please go away forever now johnny!
shiner is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2007, 08:33 PM   #2
pecks
East Side Guru

vCash: 1908
Default Re: Lewis says Green can beat tarver

A bit harsh there shiner. Lewis is a great trainer, and despite him being a bit colorful in the media for the last year or so, but he still doesn't deserve that kind of comment about him.
pecks is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2007, 08:40 PM   #3
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiner
does anyone care what he says anymore. trying to jump back on the band wagon hey after telling him to retire?! can someone get him a wheel chair and send him to a home where he belongs. guess he is still filthy at the dollars lost when he said green couldn't fight and he would never train him.

From what I have heard, Lewis is just a genuinely nice bloke, who rarely has a bad thing to say about anyone. Probably half the reason that he picks so many people to be champions is that the media blows a compliment well out of proportion and takes it completely out of context.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
waynesmale
TEAM LONEWOLF
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

Mate iv'e been saying that for years and finally people are starting to agree with me.
waynesmale is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2007, 11:46 PM   #5
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1325

Quote:

Agreed.

He might be a top bloke and a brilliant trainer, but I think he's past his best, and all his talk since Hatton beat Kostya reeks of spotlight-grabbing.

To go public and say he would not support Tszyu if he chose to come back was not necessary - why couldn't he have told Kostya that in private and left it at that?

He did come out after the Mundine fight and said Green should retire - why, I don't know, because it's not as though Green copped a battering from Mundine, he was just outskilled. This is a bloke who was in Green's corner for part of the first fight vs Delisle.

And then agreeing to train Briggs, when he has said for years that he would hang up the gloves when Kostya did, is more hypocrisy.

Sorry, I have the utmost respect for his involvement in the sport over the years, but I think he needs to keep a low profile like he did for so many years up until the last 2.
IrnBruMan is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2007, 05:22 AM   #6
shanemfr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'm up in the air about Lewis as a trainer, when you look at Tszyu as an AM he had an awesome jab and footwork that made him complete with his timing and power, once he was with Lewis the Jab and foot work dissapeared. Paul Briggs hasn't seemed to have improved at all if anything he has gone backwards, in the 1st Adamek fight he had a great double piston like Jab, when he joined with Lewis he also has lost most of his jab.
shanemfr is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2007, 08:30 PM   #7
shiner
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Lets have a realistic look;

Fenech- prob would have been world champ with any trainer but still did need someone to keep him out of the gutter
Tszyu- trained himself, he was there so Aussies could relate
Virgil Hill- world champ before him, left early and is still fighting
Harding- the guys balls were bigger than an elephants, Lewis didn't give them to him
Briggs- should have destroyed adamek in the rematch when had him hurt badly and lewis had nothing to say in the corner
St Clair- won the title without him, lost it in first fight with him
Bowie- saw the light and hasn't been seen since!!
Haumono- future world champion as quoted by him, fair go johnny give us a break

So lets give him credit for 1 1/2 world champs- fenech and harding and that's it. Is this a reasonable assessment?
shiner is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2007, 08:36 PM   #8
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Lets have a realistic look;

Fenech- prob would have been world champ with any trainer but still did need someone to keep him out of the gutter
Tszyu- trained himself, he was there so Aussies could relate
Virgil Hill- world champ before him, left early and is still fighting
Harding- the guys balls were bigger than an elephants, Lewis didn't give them to him
Briggs- should have destroyed adamek in the rematch when had him hurt badly and lewis had nothing to say in the corner
St Clair- won the title without him, lost it in first fight with him
Bowie- saw the light and hasn't been seen since!!
Haumono- future world champion as quoted by him, fair go johnny give us a break

So lets give him credit for 1 1/2 world champs- fenech and harding and that's it. Is this a reasonable assessment?
Not reasonable at all. Fenech came to him as an amatuer, with no experience what so ever. Lewis practically moulded him into the great fighter that he became. Same with Harding. Manny Steward and other top boxing analysts have said that Lewis was one of the best "conditioning" coaches in boxing. In other words, he really suits tough fighters who overwhelm their opponents with tenacity and punch out put. This worked for both Harding and Fenech. With KT, because the technical side of his game was already so refined from his amatuer career, Lewis was a great coach helped Kostya develop the physical attributes needed to apply that knowledge in the pro game. I am sure he is a decent technical coach, but probably not a great one. Still, he is a fantastic trainer no doubt, and you can't take either Fenech, Harding or even KT away from him.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2007, 08:37 PM   #9
pecks
East Side Guru

vCash: 1908

Quote:

No.
pecks is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2007, 09:42 PM   #10
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Lewis is a disgrace when it comes to advice mid-rounds, i watched the Vince Phillips v KT fight again a few weeks back and Lewis had nothing to say mid-roounds except "how u feeling Kostya" That's it! Phillips trainer was going into detail how to break Zoo down and it worked. Lewis lost that fight against Phillip's because he had no back up plan to tell KT when the chips were down.

I don't know who's worse Tony Mundine or Johnny Lewis when it comes to giving advice mid-rounds.
kel is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2007, 02:37 AM   #11
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel
Lewis is a disgrace when it comes to advice mid-rounds, i watched the Vince Phillips v KT fight again a few weeks back and Lewis had nothing to say mid-roounds except "how u feeling Kostya" That's it! Phillips trainer was going into detail how to break Zoo down and it worked. Lewis lost that fight against Phillip's because he had no back up plan to tell KT when the chips were down.

I don't know who's worse Tony Mundine or Johnny Lewis when it comes to giving advice mid-rounds.
I think Mundine is worse....he told his son to avoid contact and that he was ahead on points against Manny and Kess.

No advice is bad but the wrong advice sux.
ashley is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2007, 04:45 AM   #12
shanemfr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley
I think Mundine is worse....he told his son to avoid contact and that he was ahead on points against Manny and Kess.

No advice is bad but the wrong advice sux.
He was never ahead on points against Kessler
shanemfr is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2007, 04:54 AM   #13
BoppaZoo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1132

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanemfr
I'm up in the air about Lewis as a trainer, when you look at Tszyu as an AM he had an awesome jab and footwork that made him complete with his timing and power, once he was with Lewis the Jab and foot work dissapeared. Paul Briggs hasn't seemed to have improved at all if anything he has gone backwards, in the 1st Adamek fight he had a great double piston like Jab, when he joined with Lewis he also has lost most of his jab.
This is by far your best post.

Ive watched as much footage as i can of an Amatuer Tszyu and a Pro Tszyu with Lewis as his trainer.

Lewis changed him into what Australians have always been like a Fenech like a Harding like a Ellis. Tszyu before he was trained by Lewis was a pure slick fast guy with Power who blew away his opponents. although i feel Lewis did teach some great things though Lewis didnt tell Kostya that when fighting Phillips or Hatton dont try and slug it out with them just box there ears off and stay away from them fight on the outside.

I always wonder why Lewis changed Tszyu. He was perfect the way he was when he first came here.
BoppaZoo is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2007, 05:33 AM   #14
shanemfr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoppaZoo
This is by far your best post.

Ive watched as much footage as i can of an Amatuer Tszyu and a Pro Tszyu with Lewis as his trainer.

Lewis changed him into what Australians have always been like a Fenech like a Harding like a Ellis. Tszyu before he was trained by Lewis was a pure slick fast guy with Power who blew away his opponents. although i feel Lewis did teach some great things though Lewis didnt tell Kostya that when fighting Phillips or Hatton dont try and slug it out with them just box there ears off and stay away from them fight on the outside.

I always wonder why Lewis changed Tszyu. He was perfect the way he was when he first came here.
I'm convinced if Tszyu kept his AM style as a pro he would have probably become number 1 ATG, it would of made Floyds skills look second rate, someone with blistering speed, light on their feet,great defence and a killer instinct with shit loads of power.
shanemfr is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum