Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-10-2008, 07:46 AM   #16
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 685
Default Re: What do Jim Corbett,Tom Sharkey,Jack Root,Tommy Burns, Sam Langford, Jack Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey
Jim Jeffries about to depart for home after his aborotive comeback defeat to Jack Johnson,,in answer to a friends condolences,"you could have licked him in your prime Jeff." " No I couldnt have beaten Jack Johnson in a thousand years".Jack Johnson ,in reply to the compliment from Corbett that he was the finest of the heavyweights in science and defence"Thats the nicest thing any one ever said about me Nat,Ive allways considered Corbett the father of modern boxing".Asked to name his toughest opponent Johnson said it was Sam Mcvey.quoted in Denzil Batchelors book. One man who did consistantly pick Jeffries as the best over the years was Jack Dempsey.
If i recall correctly, one of the reasons that Jeffries said he could not beat Jack Johnson in his prime was because Johnson was actually stronger than him in the clinches. While i am still confident that prime Jeffries would have beaten Johnson it is absolutely certain that if he did beat him, it would be a damn good fight and Johnson would have more than his share of moments. I think that Jeffries chin and Stamina would just edge it for him. Overall Jeffries is definitely a top 10 career and quite a bit higher (he should rate pretty much where Marciano does on accomplishments only, since they have similar careers and records) and most people seem to consider Marciano a top 5 fighter.
Boilermaker is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2008, 08:08 AM   #17
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: What do Jim Corbett,Tom Sharkey,Jack Root,Tommy Burns, Sam Langford, Jack Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker
If i recall correctly, one of the reasons that Jeffries said he could not beat Jack Johnson in his prime was because Johnson was actually stronger than him in the clinches. While i am still confident that prime Jeffries would have beaten Johnson it is absolutely certain that if he did beat him, it would be a damn good fight and Johnson would have more than his share of moments. I think that Jeffries chin and Stamina would just edge it for him. Overall Jeffries is definitely a top 10 career and quite a bit higher (he should rate pretty much where Marciano does on accomplishments only, since they have similar careers and records) and most people seem to consider Marciano a top 5 fighter.
Prime for prime it would certainly have been a close fight,unlike Reno.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #18
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza

It is estimated that Box rec has about 5-10% of all known fights out there. Jeffries on my research KO'd Joe Kennedy in 2 rounds in 1901. It is likely Jeffries has a few un-documented fights, most of them happening before 1900. Author and poster Apollack has a new book coming out on Jeffries. Perhaps he has found some new information.
I can believe that Jeffries had a couple of fights in the late 1800's, but i highly doubt that he had fights in the early 1900's (when he was champ) that have gone by everyone. Heated sparring sessions that ended in knockouts, perhaps.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2008, 11:29 AM   #19
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49
I remember reading about James Jeffries claimed Jack Johnson would have beaten him even when he was in his prime
He would have done imo
teeto is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2009, 05:05 PM   #20
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
What do Jim Corbett, Tom Sharkey, Jack Root, Tommy Burns, Sam Langford, Jack Johnson and Jack Dempsey all agree on?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Now let us all guess
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2009, 05:34 PM   #21
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
The context of that quote needs to be grounded. Jeffries was a depressed man. He said that so the press would leave him alone after he lost to Johnson. Beleive it or not, many wanted to see a re-match. Jeffries also said he felt he was dupped, and if the fight had taken place when he was younger, it would have been different. That is not what I want to talk about in this thread.

My focus is on the words of the people who knew him best. The fighters, ref's, historians, and promoters of the time.
It's official then, Jeffries was DUPPED
Or should that be WHUPPED?
mcvey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum