Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-29-2009, 12:42 PM   #31
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Stanely Ketchel vs Heavweights (50's to Now)

Quote:
but it is a terrible performance by Charles he is getting ut boxed and hit hard by Satterfield and he lands one good punch
"Ketchel and Langford will have to fight again to settle the question of supremacy. They went a hard six-round bout at the National athletic club here and were both on their feet, able to continue, with plenty of strength and aggressiveness when the battle ended, with no decision by the referee. No knockdowns were scored in spite of the terrific hitting power of both men, and while there seems to be no doubt that they tried to do their best , they will probably come together in a longer fight in California next July for a large purse."(Marion Daily Star)

Quote:
I've seen very good quality of film of the Johnson/Ketchel fight and the knockdown, to me, looked very fake. As McVey says he was going down a split second before the punch even landed.
I think its QUITE clear it was a real knockdown.When johnson went down he first went on one hand...then fell right on to his butt because his legs were so rubbery. johnson was out of it hurt badly for 1-3 seconds. He got up pissed and finished off ketchel, but stanley badly hurt and floored him on the top of the ear with one devastating right hand.
SuzieQ49 is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #32
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Well, I don't know about crusty. That would take visual conformation and I'm not going there.

But I am curious to see another readers take on the Gunboat Smith Vs Jack Johnson 4 round affair.

What do you think, Russell. The article says Johnson was down from a punch, dazed on his feet, and his manager had to cut the last round short.

Your feed back would be appreciated.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Looking for friends Dr Z/Jeckyll ?
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 05-29-2009, 07:25 PM   #33
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Quote:
It was a 4 round exhibition match, which is a little different than a normal sparring session. Gunboat Smith was worthy of a title shot when Johnson was champion. Johnson did not offer him title shot in the ring, instead he picked guys Smith beat for title shots.

Since the poster McVey refuses to read what I write, you decide what happened. Below is a news paper read of the Johnson vs Smith match.

PS: There was mention of $30,000 offer for the Johnson vs Smith fight, but it never happened.

by that token an exhibition is alot different from a fight and is just glorified sparring
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2009, 07:29 PM   #34
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Quote:
Well, I don't know about crusty. That would take visual conformation and I'm not going there.

But I am curious to see another readers take on the Gunboat Smith Vs Jack Johnson 4 round affair.

What do you think, Russell. The article says Johnson was down from a punch, dazed on his feet, and his manager had to cut the last round short.

Your feed back would be appreciated.

The article says what it says, and you're correct in summarizing it.

I don't think McVey is saying it didn't happen, I think he's saying it doesn't matter because it was sparring.
Russell is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum