boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-10-2007, 06:55 AM   #1
Clearly Cool
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default How did Calzaghe v Reid pan out?

I heard this was a pretty close fight but i cant seem to find any highlights or videos.

Seeing as I know nothing about Reid, could someone kindly describe his style, and maybe what he did that troubled Calzaghe.

CHeers
Clearly Cool is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2007, 07:01 AM   #2
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Default Re: How did Calzaghe v Reid pan out?

Sure.

Calzaghe 8-4 or 7-5 depending, Reid gave him a competitive bout and took some rounds clearly himself. However, that judge who scored it 116-111 Reid was a biased English judge, because that's ridiculous.

The main reason that Reid troubled Calzaghe was a stylistic thing. A peak focused Reid didn't have speed per say, but he had excellent timing and a titanium jaw, so he'd be an immovable object who could time lead right hands down Joe's guard and Joe could do nothing to discourage him. Reid would be willing to eat 5 to land 1 and Calzaghe lacked the experience then to just simply outbox him, so he fought a 1 dimensional fight.

But this also shows why a guy like Jones, who could time lead right hands in masterful ways, would be a heavy favourite over Calzaghe, Jones had the necessary speed to just bomb with a right and then get out of the danger of being drawn into a brawl and repeat.

Overall, it was an entertaining s****, if you can find it then it's worth a viewing, I have it on DVD.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 07:07 AM   #3
Snorkel
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Reid's a good fighter without any glaring weaknesses but at the same time doesn't excel in any department apart from his granite chin.

The fight itself started with Calzaghe dominating the first few rounds, landing pretty much at will but without hurting Reid (Calzaghe was still considered a puncher at this point, having stopped all but two of his opponents, one of the 2 being Chris Eubank.) Reid resorted to trying to rough him up and unsettle him before getting warned and eventually having a point deducted.

Reid came into it as the fight progressed and started throwing good lead right hands, catching Calzaghe coming in but again never really hurting him. The fight progressed in this manner with both landing good shots and many of the rounds very close.

As for the result, it was close but I had Calzaghe 2 or 3 rounds up. He clearly took the first few rounds and won one round 10-8 due to the deduction. For Reid to have won, he would've had to take all the other rounds and I honestly can't score it that way, even being sympathetic to him.
Snorkel is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 07:35 AM   #4
Stickandmove
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Calzaghe started well but I remember Reid landing sickening right hands as the fight progressed. Joe was clearly disgusted with his performance in the post fight interview while Reid was certainly more upbeat (perhaps surprised that he'd done so well).

Overall, one of Joe's worst performances. The question is, has he really improved since then or will he again come unstuck against a granite chinned fighter with a well timed right hand?

I guess we'll find out when he fights Mikkel Kessler.
Stickandmove is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 07:39 AM   #5
Snorkel
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickandmove
Calzaghe started well but I remember Reid landing sickening right hands as the fight progressed. Joe was clearly disgusted with his performance in the post fight interview while Reid was certainly more upbeat (perhaps surprised that he'd done so well).

Overall, one of Joe's worst performances. The question is, has he really improved since then or will he again come unstuck against a granite chinned fighter with a well timed right hand?

I guess we'll find out when he fights Mikkel Kessler.
If he comes 'unstuck' here in the same way he came 'unstuck' against Reid, I'm sure he'll be delighted with his 44-0 record.
Snorkel is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 07:39 AM   #6
Sai
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 110

A slightly gassy, unproven chinned fighter with a horribly telegraphed right hand?
Sai is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum