Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-22-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Antonio Cervantes .Vs. Pipino Cuevas

What would have happened if Cervantes moved up to challenge Cuevas for the WBA Welterweight Title?
la-califa is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2007, 10:19 PM   #2
Cobra33
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Antonio Cervantes .Vs. Pipino Cuevas

Great match -up!!! Cervantes by split decision in a bout he would get rocked but use his boxing skills to survive.
Cobra33 is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2007, 12:35 AM   #3
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Cervantes had great boxing ability, simular style to Cuevas opponent Angel Espada. Could Cervantes hold off the rampaging Cuevas where Espada could not? I don't think Cervantes could hurt Cuevas, So Cuevas would be coming in without fear, throwing his bombs.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:11 AM   #4
Cobra33
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Cervantes I think was better then Espada.I think this bout would be like Cuevas-Andy Price.Price would outbox Cuevas for a couple of rounds and then get rocked badly the next round and be forced to ride out the storm.
I'll tell you this is an interesting match-up.Are you a fan of Cuevas/Cervantes?
Cobra33 is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Interesting match up. I think Cervantes wins a decision.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2007, 10:41 AM   #6
Cobra33
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Alot of people underestimate Cuevas and thats a shame.This man hit hard enough that he broke bones in his opponents.

Billy Backus-shattered his orbital bone
Harold Weston-Broke his Jaw
Angel Espada-Broke his jaw

I mean not too many boxers I am aware of did this type of damage to more then one opponent.

I tell you if Cotto would be matched up with a prime Cuevas I would pick Cuevas by late round stoppage.
Cobra33 is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2007, 01:49 PM   #7
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Also here is another note of Cuevas' power. At Gleasons Gym. Cuevas broke the bracket on the speedbag. The only other fighter to ever do that...George Foreman. & of all the great Welterweight Champions, Who holds the record of most consecutive title defenses won by Knockout? Cuevas at 10. 1976 - 1980. Randy Shields broke the string at # 11. Early 1980.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:33 AM   #8
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Actually, now I'm wondering about the natural size difference. I'm thinking of the strength and power Cuevas brings. I'm thinking he has McGuigans strength and hook and then some!
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2007, 11:06 AM   #9
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Randy Shields and Andy Price showed what a defensively skilled boxer with little power could do against Cuevas. Also, in Pipino's only live televised defense in the States, I felt that Harold Volbrecht blanked him over the first four rounds, by moving in and out, and peppering Jose with multiple punch combinations. (It was only because of who Cuevas was, and his performing before a wildly partisan Houston audience, that Pipino was even on the scorecards before his left hook kayo.)

Kid Pambele had power, strength, and experience which Shields and Price lacked. My tentative guess here is Cervantes by decision.

I'm not strongly convinced of this outcome because of one name on Pipino's resume: Miguel Angel Campanino. The combined won-loss record of Cuevas's opponents is so staggering, that he could well have padded it even more with a contest against Cervantes. Jose's a worthy HOFer.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2007, 12:16 PM   #10
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Cervantes was a very good fighter. I like him by UD.
robert ungurean is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2007, 10:36 PM   #11
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Pete Ranzany,Harold Weston Jr., Clyde Gray & Angel Espada were all fine Boxers. Although not in the class of Cervantes, but they could not hold off Cuevas. I am not sure did Cervantes fight any powerpunchers during his title reign?
Old 06-24-2007, 11:58 PM   #12
Cobra33
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I think frazier was regard as a pretty good puncher.Montila was supposedly a strong puncher as well.
Cobra33 is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 08:55 AM   #13
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I like Cervantes, but I think Cuevas would introduce him to the cold****, especially by round 11.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 10:14 AM   #14
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by la-califa
Pete Ranzany,Harold Weston Jr., Clyde Gray & Angel Espada were all fine Boxers. Although not in the class of Cervantes, but they could not hold off Cuevas. I am not sure did Cervantes fight any powerpunchers during his title reign?
Nobody like Cuevas. DeJesus and Peppermint Frazier were probably the most accomplished punchers, along with Pryor. Coming off the Price loss, Pipino dethroned Espada in Mexico, catching Angel sleeping. Espada gave Cuevas hell in the return bout on his home turf, until Pipino broke his jaw. Weston also acquitted himself fairly well, until Cuevas literally busted his chops too. Ranzany never had a chance to get his machine gun jab going, and Gray wasn't able to get off the ground either.

Even in losing his title, Cervantes demonstrated that he could start quickly, dumping Pryor early in the first. His ability to get off to a fast start would be crucial against Pipino. Kid Pambele also managed to win round two, despite Pryor's furious onslaught, slipping Aaron's windmilling attack, and countering effectively in retreat. I think Cervantes demonstrated enough skill against Pryor to raise a question about how much better a peak version might have performed. Cervantes also decked DeJesus, another known fast starter, in the first round.

I don't see Kid Pambele stopping Pipino, or putting him down. Antonio would need to win by decision. If he could drive Jose backwards, as Espada was able to do in his best moments of their sensational middle fight, and get Cuevas pinned against the ropes as Angel did, that would be enormously helpful for winning some rounds. Espada exposed Jose as not being particularly effective in retreat, or if cornered.

Pipino may have been the most prolific bonebreaking top boxer of his generation. He was prone to roundhouse on occasion though, opening his chin to counters.

Should the match last 15 rounds, I can't see Cuevas taking the match on points. Nor do I expect that Cervantes could take Pipino out. While neither would wear down, Kid Pambele's extensive 15 round background demonstrates that he would know how to negotiate a distance win in a situation where that would have to be be his intention going in. I think he would be able to defend effectively against whatever Jose was doing. Knowing how lethal his opponent was, Cervantes wouldn't let his guard down for an instant. He was competitive enough with the blindingly fast and defensively gifted Benitez and Saoul Mamby to show he could score frequently on the slower and more accessible Cuevas. (Keep in mind that Wilfredo only won by a split verdict in Puerto Rico.)

As always, Pipino would need just one punch to prove me wrong.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 10:39 AM   #15
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 153

cervantes UD
Bad_Intentions is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum